The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X10 in my hands soon - what do you want me to test?

bradhusick

I will be getting the Fuji X10 in a day or two. What features do you want me to test right away and post here? Fire away.

(I ordered from Best Buy and they say it's been shipped. I also have an Amazon pre-order, so I might have a spare one to offer).

-Brad

A

Allan Ostling

I will be getting the Fuji X10 in a day or two. What features do you want me to test right away and post here?
We need to ascertain if the EXR modes are available when shooting RAW. The DPreview preview says no, the Manual is confusing but implies compatibility. Let us know what you find.

J

JesperMP

Hi Brad.

I would like to know,when you look through the OVF, how much of the actual image to be taken can be seen ?
I know that it is reported to be 85%, but I would like to know for real.
The reason I am asking, is that I hope that you can actually see OUTSIDE the image that is to be taken. It would make a huge difference for quickly framing the shot.

bradhusick

I will try the viewfinder but when they say 85% that means you're seeing LESS than what the camera will capture, not more. It's the opposite of a Leica viewfinder.

bradhusick

no, it's bigger than a front pocket will allow, mostly because the lens in collapsed mode is still an inch or so thick. that said, it's smaller than the photos would indicate.

initial observations while the battery charges:

1) construction is top notch, feels great in the hand
2) viewfinder is incredibly bright
3) zooms as fast as you can turn the ring - great
4) nice metal lens cap, but no provision for leash - will get adhesive leash
5) included neck strap is too stiff and plasticky - hello Luigi!
6) mode dial and exp comp dial are nice and stiff - no accidental changes
7) thumb grip on back is nice soft rubber that has good friction
8) camera covering is lovely but a bit slippery
9) this camera looks and feels like Leica designed and built it - very, very nice.

charlesphoto

Hi Brad,

Thinking about getting one of these for my wife. So interested in AF and shutter lag speed, and how well it works on full idiot mode and with pop up flash. Also, can you estimate the central AF point in the OVF and then lock it with a half press of the shutter release and recompose?

Anyway, hopefully Glazers will have one soon and I can go check it out for myself.

CP

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Mine is due tomorrow. I talked to Henry's Canada today and the Fuji rep has told them that this camera will be eventually difficult to get (because of Thailand)
Those on the fence should probably get moving. Recently the first batch of GXR m-mounts sold out very quickly

Keith

Terry

I just saw a tweet that the Canadian deliveries will all have the latest firmware.

Brad you should have a look there was a firmware update released yesterday.

Terry

Brad - I'm sure the battery charged up. Can't wait to hear initial impressions on handling.

bradhusick

Hi Brad.

I would like to know,when you look through the OVF, how much of the actual image to be taken can be seen ?
I know that it is reported to be 85%, but I would like to know for real.
The reason I am asking, is that I hope that you can actually see OUTSIDE the image that is to be taken. It would make a huge difference for quickly framing the shot.
confirmed. OVF displays less than actual shot.

bradhusick

Hi Brad,

Thinking about getting one of these for my wife. So interested in AF and shutter lag speed, and how well it works on full idiot mode and with pop up flash. Also, can you estimate the central AF point in the OVF and then lock it with a half press of the shutter release and recompose?

Anyway, hopefully Glazers will have one soon and I can go check it out for myself.

CP
AF speed quite fast at all but telephoto end of zoom where it slows down.
Shutter lag is extremely short
Yes, you can estimate central AF point (but make it larger than default first) with the OVF and lock with half press and recompose.
Full idiot mode is quite good.