The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X10 ISO test

bradhusick

Here's a test of the Fuji X10 from ISO 3200 to ISO 100. These are JPEGs with no processing applied. The full frame appears first, then crops at the different ISO levels.

Hover on the photo and the ISO level is in the name.

These were taken in a dimly lit room. Noise reduction was set to LOW.

Last edited:

bradhusick

I have a NEX-5 and the Fuji is much smaller as a package than the Nex + kit zoom. I like the optical viewfinder too. They are very different cameras and each has strong points. I have a NEX-7 on pre-order and plan to compare it too.

Terry

Thanks Brad -
So - If you took the full frame 3200 shot and had it on your monitor how does it look (and on what size monitor)?

bradhusick

Thanks Brad -
So - If you took the full frame 3200 shot and had it on your monitor how does it look (and on what size monitor)?
I think the ISO 1600 files are entirely great and with the slightest luminance noise reduction and sharpening they look great on a 27" monitor at full size. This is just with JPEGs, so I am looking forward to trying it in RAW. Now if only Adobe would update Lightroom and ACR I wouldn't have to batch them through the Fuji tool.

raist3d

Thanks for posting that. What is the total exposure- i.e. what is the F stop and the shutter speed for say the ISO 3200 shot? I must say looks like Fuji got that lens well done and what I am seeing may be even comparable to Olympus micro four thirds.

- Raist

PS: Would the camera fit in the pocket of a jacket like one of those "hoodies?"

bradhusick

You're welcome. The ISO 3200 shot was f/2.5 at 1/110 sec. I think the lens is very well designed and built with several aspheric elements. Even the viewfinder has aspheric elements in addition to two prisms. I don't own a m4/3 camera any longer so I can't do a head to head comparison.

Yes, it will fit in almost any jacket pocket.

M5-Guy

The X10 does pretty good...
I'd say ISO 1600 is very usable, and up to 3200 with a bright lens..
Compared to the Panasonic G3.... Maybe someone has both camera's....

I have a G3, I can post High ISO's, but, What should I take a picture of? I have some from a test I did for E-P1.net.... But, they won't the same obviously...

bradhusick

Thanks Jono!

Next step is to repeat this with RAW files.

M5Guy - try a series of indoor incandescent lit photos like I did. Use a tripod and the self timer.

Terry

The X10 does pretty good...
I'd say ISO 1600 is very usable, and up to 3200 with a bright lens..
Compared to the Panasonic G3.... Maybe someone has both camera's....

I have a G3, I can post High ISO's, but, What should I take a picture of? I have some from a test I did for E-P1.net.... But, they won't the same obviously...
I hope to have both in hand next week.

bradhusick

Here are the RAW files converted to 16-bit TIFFs then saved as JPEGs, no adjustments made: (the RAW conversion was done with the Fuji-supplied Silkypix tool set at defaults)

Last edited:

bradhusick

Now here are the same RAWs --> TIFF, noise reduced and sharpened in Lightroom -->JPEGs. If you think my noise reduction is too heavy-handed, try your own settings on the RAWs posted above.

Last edited:

quadtones

Well Brad,

Thanks, as you just cost me a little bit of money...Delivery supposed to be 11/9...Just the small sensor camera for someone who has worked with rangefinder cameras for lots of years and isn't able to do without an eye level window finder. I don't expect it to have files like my M9 with a 35 or 75 Summicron, but wouldn't it be cool if the files were better than my M8 at, say iso 1250?

Thanks for peaking my interest, and getting me to not lurk in the shadows on this site.

bradhusick

Brad ... thanks for the huge effort you put into this display. Very thoughtful and very useful.

Don
Don, you're welcome.

After owning the camera for a few weeks now it looks like this one is going to be a "keeper". I go through a lot of cameras, so that's a good endorsement from me for the X10. My favorite feature? The manual zoom that lets me snap the camera on and off to the focal length I want. By the time I raise it to shoot it's ready. Brilliant.

DaveO

Those are really impressive for such a small sensor camera. Of Fuji usually has great lenses too.

DaveO