Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gx100/Gx200

wbrandsma

Re: Gx100/Gx200

Welcome hear. That is a tough question indeed. I liked the results of the GX100 a lot, and I love the improved handling and speed of the GX200. I use(d) both cameras without the VF1 and never felt the need to buy one. The G10 looks amazing too, but is quite large as you mention.

If I would currently be in the same position to buy a serious compact camera I would opt for the Panasonic LX3 instead. To me it seems this camera has improved dynamic range, better low light performance, and a great looking dynamic B&W in-camera preset. Only the user interface can't be compared with those of the Ricohs. Ricoh has some of the best user interface in any compact camera in my opinion.

Good luck

RMR2416

Thank you all so much for helping me ,
    I have sone a lot of research, as I am not very familiar with digital photograpy. I believe the ideal camera would be the GRD II; no zoom to worry about, so composition is number one (thank you Lili for reminding me of that), (I remember her K1000 just had the 35mm (or close ot it), and she never got around to really loving the 28-200 I had gotten her...) However, that little camera is slightly out of my price range (plus, Viewfinder is an added option, when I believe she would like to have the VF, if only for certain uses.)

I like the deal with the GX100 + EVF; I have read the problems with stuck lenses and dust in the lens and sensor with that camera. Is it really a big issue, or just a few unlucky ones?

I also like the LX3, but I played with it and find the joystick difficult to use. It is however a beautiful object with what looks to be an awesome lens. I also love Pansonic's electronics in general (they always seem to get in that sweet spot of affordability vs quality and innovation).

I was supposed to play with the Ricohs, but the friend in question had to vanish out of the country for a job...)

RMR2416

By the way, Wouter;
    I have spent timeon your website and I want to thank you for the long term review of the GX100/200. I also have great respect for your opnion, as your work is simply outstanding. However, you could probably take a great picture with baby powder, a light bulb and a lens made out of a water plastic bottle.

RMR2416

Wouter,

I had an epiphany during my deep sleep last night. I purchased the wife the G10; many reviewers seemed disapointed with the G10, but many users seem to just love the thing, and the pics tend to prove them right. I also love the feel and design of it; I know my wife likes chunky and clickety dials over a little joystick, and the weight is actually a good thing; that way, you should notice when you forgot it someplace or if it fell out of a pocket. Finally, I tested a Lumix FX37 (25mm wide anlge digicam, and I found the difference in the wide angle fairly marginal to the 28mm of the G10(please don't tear me apart on this, it's just my store experience, I wasn't allowed to take the cameras outside and take landscape shots). I also tested a Canon SX10IS with a 20x optical zom, and found the 5x zoom of the G10 to be much more usable on a quick shot (it's much easier to find the target at 5x than 20x, which is like shooting a fly in the open with a sewing needle (again from my personal experience). I also was very impressed with the start up time of the G10 (I picked it up, and raised it toward the subject while turning it on, and every time it was ready to shoot before I was... so it's fast enough for me- people in the sstore looked at me as if I was John Wayne in a pistol duel scene).

Allright now, I 'm kind of sorry I chickened out on the Ricohs, but I like being able to pay for things cash rather than with a credit card on the internet, so that was that.

Wouter, my wife is a big B&W fan, so we'll see if she manages to get good shots out of it, and we'll post them for you. She is always up before sunrise, so she'll get decent shots soon. (after X-mas that is).

wbrandsma

Only a few days before your wife gets the G10. I think it is a great camera, and has some image quality advantage against the Ricoh GX200.

Here some GX200 jpegs from today edited with Nik Silver Efex Pro.

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post

Here some GX200 jpegs from today edited with Nik Silver Efex Pro.
    You know as soon as you say Silver Efex Pro you lose a healthy chunk of credibility. SEP is to digital photography as Tobasco sauce is to cooking; no matter how badly mess up any recipe for anything, with enough Tobasco sauce on it you can still eat it.

I love SEP, would buy it again at twice the price. Oh, and those ARE very nice images you posted.

wbrandsma

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    You know as soon as you say Silver Efex Pro you lose a healthy chunk of credibility. SEP is to digital photography as Tobasco sauce is to cooking; no matter how badly mess up any recipe for anything, with enough Tobasco sauce on it you can still eat it.
    Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Oxide Blu View Post
    I love SEP, would buy it again at twice the price. Oh, and those ARE very nice images you posted.
    Thank you

To get some credibility back here some low light photographs from the GX200.

Ricoh GX200, f2.7, 1/16 sec, ISO 200, manual mode

Ricoh GX200, f3.0, 1/2 sec, ISO 100, manual mode

And all handheld.

wbrandsma

I noticed several new GX200 shooters here, so I thought this thread needed some photographs again.

All with the GX200.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the image with the dog.

It has incredible geometry with an oddly abstract shadow (check out the disconnected shadow ears -- you don't see something like that very often). With everything else off-axis, you can't help but identify with the dog, who in turn, is fixated on something outside the frame.

It's an almost perfect image. Outwardly simple, yet internally complex. Balanced, but heightened with visual tensions.

Bravo, Wouter!
    Last edited by DavidE; 24th January 2009 at 06:17.

wbrandsma

Thank you so much David. The light was kind of very special that day.

More GX200.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i am just mad for that barbed wire!

it's scary how you make it so sensuous.

wbrandsma

It scares me too Cam. The more I see it, the more personal it becomes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It scares me too Cam. The more I see it, the more personal it becomes.
    all the best work/art is personal, not just what you see but what you feel -- that's why i think this is so exceptional.

wbrandsma

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    all the best work/art is personal, not just what you see but what you feel -- that's why i think this is so exceptional.
    Thank you Cam. This means so much to me.

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This GX-200 has me in a love/hate relationship......I love the interface...just great to work with but the
    noise is starting to bother me.......maybe I need more meds.....anyway....

This is the retired Ship...United States on the Philly Waterfront....

GX-200 f2.9 1/3 sec hand held.... -7 ex comp...silver efex and PS CS3

wbrandsma

Don't try to compare the GX200 with your DP1 Don. Instead use the GX200 for daytime situations and keep the ISO low and use the DP1 with higher ISO's for the evening and night.

I try to keep the ISO as low as possible with the GX200. It will remain noisy, but at low ISO's I think the noise is very acceptable, fine and rather pleasing. I noticed that too much underexposure ruins your images. Therefor I often slightly overexpose to avoid noise in the darker parts. At higher ISO's you see this awkward patterned noise and that bothers me too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wouter
    You of course are right but I have to admit.....until the DP2 comes out, I will keep the GX-200. The camera has the best interface bar none except the M8. It's an amazing design. I always push the envelope and that's why I often get frustrated.

My problem is that I get used to a cameras quirks, then start to use it in an adjustment period not really expecting anything great but to learn how the camera and I see together..

then I send files up to MPIX and have 11 x 14 prints made in b&w and color.....if a camera gets to this point, it's got a chance.....once the prints come back...I make a decision whether to keep it or move on.....The GX-200 is a great web camera but not a great print camera....

I qualify this by......b&w prints are great...very nice...but color requires much work to get a clean image.
    This is not my major concern because I am b&w 90% anyway.
    Unfortunately that small, little, tiny weenie, itty bitty 10% plagues me.....
    At iso 200, running thru Noise Ninja before sharpening and any processing then again after processing and then re sharpen......the prints are well, acceptable....above that and there's a problem.

I've given some files to guru's and the same results....so
    when Ricoh and Sigma come together because of the economy and make the
    DPX-300.......that camera will in fact be a dream for everyone....but alas as I wake up again and out of my dream world.....I wait for the DP2 because it's the DP2...and I sadly will sell the Ricoh to some one here for a very reasonable price.......

Some things ya can live with, some things ya can't, and some things ya just don't know...

back to sleep and my dream of my DP1 on snap mode etc.....
    don

wbrandsma

I have never been a photographer who changes cameras a lot. I stick to a camera for a long time and live with the limitations since it forces me to think harder.

I have done A2 prints (40x60cm) from GX200 and GX100 photos and they were really good to me. No noise removal programs used. When I want clean files, I should have bought another camera.

And I am about 98% B&W.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's what I'm saying...for B&W it's a great camera. Problem I have is...
    I do these missions for the soldiers, LEO Military etc. They all want color.
    It's funny, I am told that my b&w work is great but to stark and real for them. They like the illusion that color gives.....go figure...
    anyhow....I did the last mission for Fallen Police Officer Chris Jones. The DP1 files are delicious of course...but the GX-200 even at 200 or 100 has noise that in color bothers me.....I know, I'm getting nuts...that's ok...but fact is fact...
    My friend is a softeware developer and I have he working on a color noise remover that will not smooth anything out....time will tell...

Don't be put off by my statements about the color stuff...I could care less about color and for b&w, it's a great camera....even at very high iso.....
    shooter

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tried to post this a couple of minutes ago but it didn't show. Hope you don't see it twice.

Ricoh GX-200 ISO 114, 1/40s

wbrandsma

This photograph is part of a series of photographs about Storage as published on the recently started collaborative blog, sharedphotography (with two other GetDPI members).

Post Thanks / Like

Are you ever planing on taking a bad photo?
    Awesome as usual. How did you manage to get this kind of DOF from the GX200?
    BTW, sometime ago you've told me you were working a photo book. How is that coming along? Let people know. I'm a huge fan of your work. Last week I went over a lot of your work on flickr and I just can't get over it.

wbrandsma

Thank you Rafael. I thought I was making bad photographs currently. But your comment certainly sheers me up again.

To get this kind of DoF with the GX200 (or any other small sensor camera) you need to get close and use the macro mode.

The photo book takes up a lot of time. More then expacted. I have chosen my photographs for the book and will now trim down the selection to something like 50 photographs. I hope to be able to make a set of photographs on flickr with the selection for the book soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us on the loop, mijn vriend. I'm sure it will sell great!

Post Thanks / Like

Wouter Thanks for the tip - I had never thought of using macro this way- I had only ever done that by mistake! I will be trying this out soonest.

Took some photos of my daughters graduation exam:-

and some macros of her confetti and flowers

Whole set is here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/polloba...7614350242120/

Great little camera the GX100.
    The GX200 got a real slagging in Italian consumer magazine "Altroconsumo".
    I will be cancelling my subscription as they didnt mention a real feature of all the "serious" compacts they reviewed- even the winning ones !
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

wbrandsma

Incredible detail. These cameras are really good in macro mode although I personally don't like macro.

I took this just because the light was so beautiful.

In the meantime I have been trying to do some portraits with my GX200.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OUTSTANDING...Wouter & Pollobarca
    Be it in
    Crispness
    Bokeh
    Color
    B&W Tonality
    You Guys make the GX series ROCK...

wbrandsma

Thank you Helen.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Helen,Thanks Wouter,the little girl portrait is a gem.
    I've been using the camera a lot for work the last few weeks, taking photos of
    machinery etc. Not much in the way of "photos" lately but in a work environment the camera is proving to be very robust too.
    all the best
    paul

Post Thanks / Like

Another pair of Macros. Run the DNG file through silkypix free edition.
    Silkypix have removed the free edition now- a real shame and I dont think it will get them more sales.

Anyways hope these pix are liked. This year the holly plant has decided to give us some red berries. Camera is my gx100 . Exif data can be seen on my flickr pages

b rgds to all

paul

totallynatural

Hi, this is pretty much my first posting apart from one ages ago. I live in Brighton on the South coast of England and nipped out today to take some pics with my gx100. I remember reading not sure whether it was on here or dpreview but someone was claiming colour shots from it were awful. I found the opposite I absolutely love it. It gives very film like results (similar when the contrast is whacked up to that of my unfortunately sold voigtlander bessa shooting in provia 400).
    I've attached a link to some pics on facebook (I really should not post there as they can nick your pics but hey ho :-) ). Hope you enjoy them.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=f998408a1d

totallynatural

soz forgot to add, Wouter your pics are stunning!

wbrandsma

Quote Originally Posted by totallynatural View Post
    soz forgot to add, Wouter your pics are stunning!
    Thank you Matthew and welcome at this great forum. I personally do very little color work, so I will be the last one to judge the color. But your color photographs do look fine to me.

And these camera's are pretty good at macro mode too, although I really don't like macro photography.

This is me.

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew,
    your pix look very nice. The colour from the Ricoh is great. I too have problems understanding the complaints about the colour from the ricoh.

BTW- pix getting "nicked"? It doesnt worry me. I have found my pictures all over the
    net. Mostly used by travel agencies . I really am happy to see them used. It would be nice to be kept informed though. Only a fraction write and tell me or link back to flickr.
    I was annoyed by a crop until I found that the lady pianist , who's photo it is, had done the crop... Actually she is right with the crop too. Strangely enough NO Ricoh pics nicked yet, only my Olympus C5050z pix.

totallynatural

Thanks for the welcome!

I went out again today and took some more pics, also used my D300 with 180 (which I may post in fun pics with a nikon at some point). I really like colours from the ricoh, I also have a fuji F50 for very low light but don't like the colours on it and usually convert it to b&w plus the noise reduction is not nice. Ricohs grain tends to be great.

heres a link to the pics from today. I should also be out (sleep dependent ) tomorrow at sunrise I hope to get some more pics (with Ricoh and also D300 but prob using voigtlander 40mm). Thanks for the comments. I really enjoy reading threads on this site. Very informative and friendly.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=111767&id=618390481&l=04c1b95efa[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew, look forward to seeing your pix tomorrow- how about some of the pavilion?
    b rgds

paul

totallynatural

Quote Originally Posted by pollobarca View Post
    Matthew, look forward to seeing your pix tomorrow- how about some of the pavilion?
    b rgds

paul
    Hi thanks for the comments. Heres a few more pics (mainly brighton beach again! and the piers). I did get a couple very low light ones of the pavillion but they're not great (I was walking past it home but it was pitch black). I may try later today or tomorrow to get some more. Hope you enjoy them :-)
    The colour ones are all GX100 the b&w are Fuju F50 at iso3200 & iso6400

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=f2471b0f7f
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=3b5a53cc44

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew,

Especially like the dodgems pic and the birds on the railings. Brighton seems to be suffering the crisis badly. I last went in Octber 2007. It was pretty dead then too.
    No pictures (for this thread)as I had only the c5050z at that time

b rgds

paul

totallynatural

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the comments. I definitely like the Starlings on the railing too.
    yes autumn and winter are definitely not the best times for Brighton however in the summer it is absolutely packed. I've been out for the past 5 consecutive days with my GX100 and D300 (either with voigtlander 40mm nokton or 180 2.8 attached I don't change lenses but usually have an 'aim'). On saturday in particular it was getting the summer feeling and the beach front was pretty busy (probably mostly commuter probably from London or Surrey).
    I went out on the 21 March during the eve to get the pavilions (and a few other things) and got these shots (taken in colour at iso 80 using my small tripod) which I converted to b&w in photoshop. I've also taken some more D300 ones which I'll post in that thread.

totallynatural

sorry thought I had better mention I am very much an amateur when it comes to B&W conversion. Criticism will be very much appreciated (especially from Wouter who's work is exemplary). I did a 'hatchet' job on these simply increasing the black and adding a 'green' filter in the b&w setting in cs3. I personally quite like them although the burnt out high lights in the last (my fave pic) do bother me. I would very much appreciate your advice on b&w technique (I personally prefer colour but cannot get it to look right in low light pics, hence B&w for these shots). I look forward to your advice :-)

Kind regards Matt

(I would be happy to send the raw files if anyone wants to play with them. I would love to see what could be done in the right hands)

wbrandsma

That is honestly a tough question. I really like your first two B&W conversion. And the last one is good with the exception of the highlights. I normally don't use Photoshop for my conversion (I use Lightroom for most of my work), but in Photoshop I find the Gradient Map a great starter for converting my images. Sometimes I even use a second Gradient Map and then I apply a Brightness and contrast adjustment layer. In CS4 that works really well in my opinion.

wbrandsma

This photograph was converted in Photoshop with the Gradient Map.

If you want more help you can always mail or sent me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Matt,
    I'd like to try something on #3....

email..... [email protected]

thanks....don

totallynatural

This photograph was converted in Photoshop with the Gradient Map.

If you want more help you can always mail or sent me a PM.
    Hi Wouter, many thanks for the advice on conversion i will definitely give it a try.
    I use Aperture 2 but use CS3 for b&w conversion. I will try the gradient map like you said. Many thanks again (btw really nice shot!, the speakers almost remind me of an axe).

Don...no problem I will email the raw to you shortly. I will be very interested to see what you do with it thanks!

UPDATE:
    Wouter - I have very quickly tried the gradient map on a few pics...wow...works brilliantly delivering exactly what I was looking for!!! I will reload a few (not tonight my eyes feel crucified) if you don't mind with it used, the pics definitely look better. The final pic with the burnt out highlights looks especially good! I would never have considered that! (I do have a huge CS3 book but need to read it more!). Many thanks for your help.
    Last edited by totallynatural; 26th March 2009 at 11:27. Reason: update

wbrandsma

Quote Originally Posted by totallynatural View Post
    Hi Wouter, many thanks for the advice on conversion i will definitely give it a try.
    I use Aperture 2 but use CS3 for b&w conversion. I will try the gradient map like you said. Many thanks again (btw really nice shot!, the speakers almost remind me of an axe).

Don...no problem I will email the raw to you shortly. I will be very interested to see what you do with it thanks!

UPDATE:
    Wouter - I have very quickly tried the gradient map on a few pics...wow...works brilliantly delivering exactly what I was looking for!!! I will reload a few (not tonight my eyes feel crucified) if you don't mind with it used, the pics definitely look better. The final pic with the burnt out highlights looks especially good! I would never have considered that! (I do have a huge CS3 book but need to read it more!). Many thanks for your help.
    You're welcome. And asking is much quicker then reading I look forward to your results.

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew - Nice pictures I like the first, 2nd to last and the last. The prince regent was
    cetainly well stoned when he decided to have this place built. A real opium dream.
    Look forward to seeing the results after Wouters advice,
    all the best

paul

totallynatural

Hi,

Heres the pics after running the gradient map over them, very little else done to them. On the whole I would say it did a good job. The street pics especially as it deals with highlights nicely. The Tree pic I am 50/50 with, but the rest I definitely prefer, plus it means less time PP.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=2988aa3c04

Don, I tried emailing you the raw pic but it was rejected. Possibly due to a too large file size. Do you know of any good compression tools I can use for photo's? (I use a mac).

I am going out with my D300 later, actually to a few pubs :-) Should make for some interesting pics (although I will bring my camera back before I drink too much and replace it with my Fuji f50 (shooting at 3200 or 6400 no flash) - not going to risk the D300 late night in brighton pubs :-) ).

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew,
    to send large files I use yousendit , a free (pay if you want!) service which allows you to send a download link.

rgds

paul

totallynatural

Quote Originally Posted by pollobarca View Post
    Matthew,
    to send large files I use yousendit , a free (pay if you want!) service which allows you to send a download link.

rgds

paul
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for this.
    I will try it once I have broadband back. I am visiting my parents in Norfolk for a week or two. They can only get very slow dial up :sleep006: (amazingly no broadband still!!) so I will not be uploading anything large for the time being.

I will get some rural shots whilst I am there (they have a small farm so plenty of opportunities).
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Look forward to seeing your pictures from Norfolk. Not been there since 1992.

all the best
    paul