The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gx100/Gx200

W

wbrandsma

Wouter: I really can SEE:bugeyes: that Nik Silver Efex glow....I 've recently seen it in Mitch's new posts @ RFF
LOVE the Depth & Richness in Tones

Thanx- :clap: H
Thank you Helen, but I am still not sure if this is the style I really want.

Saint Nicholas arrived in the Netherlands. The kids are thrilled and hope for presents on December 5.

All these photographs were edited in Photoshop, used Gradient Map, Curves, and Hue/Saturation for the B&W convertion. I also duplicated the image on another layer, changed the blending mode to Soft Light, applied a Gaussian Blur with a radius of 20 pixels, and set the opacity to something like 70%. This results in smoother transitions of different tones in my opinion.

jonoslack

You Dutch are Crazy
All this December 5th stuff! Every normal person KNOWS that father christmas comes on Christmas eve . . . he's hardly likely to make an exception for the Dutch is he?
I will be in Holland all this week - commuting from Bergen op Zoom to Moerdijk. You'll understand from this that it's not a holiday!
I do hope to take some pictures . . . but they won't be as good as your sparkling shots.

Do I understand that you are using Nik efex pro and finding it . . . . . too easy? So that it seems like it's someone else's vision rather than your own?

I feel uneasy about it as well, but when I look at the results . . . .

W

wbrandsma

You should read this from David Sedaris :ROTFL:

And I am sorry, but Saint Nicholas lives in Spain, not on the North Pole :lecture: And Saint Nicholas has had a career as a bishop in Turkey :rolleyes:

And I like Nik Silver Efex Pro too, but I was refering to my photograph of the tree trunk :D

Robert Campbell

All this December 5th stuff! Every normal person KNOWS that father christmas comes on Christmas eve
Sami Claus comes to Swiss houses on the evening of 6th December, sometimes accompanied by a small helper with a sack. He reads from his diary of the year to see how good the kids have been or how much they need to improve...if they have been bad, they get beaten with his Fitze [bunch of sticks]....and if they're very bad, they get put in the sack and taken away.

OTOH, Christkindli [Christmas Angel] comes on the evening of 24th...so we all get our prezzies earlier than the Brits :ROTFL:

And in NornIrland some sort of Coco-Cola lookalike is already ensconced in his grotty in the mega chapel of commerce :thumbdown:

jonoslack

Wouter
Thank you for the link - I really enjoyed it, and I've passed it on to a Dutch friend of mine. Still, I'm disappointed that we have to listen to an American voice to get the maximum humour out of the situation (and that Safari insists that I can't spell humour properly)!:angry:

mark1958

I was in Holland one Dec 5th one year and the dark santa came to a party.... I think if my kids would have been there-- would have scared them.... but it is what you are brought up with

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
Nice pictures of St. Nicholas, Wouter. I presume the slight softness comes from the Gaussian blur layer.
Here is a 180 degree panorama of a road junction in Bath. GX100. 5 shots stitched themselves together excellently in PS Elements6.(though the 4 people walking 1/4 way in from LHS are in fact only 2 people, photographed in 2 different frames!!). I adjusted a bit for contrast and saturation.
Cheers,
gandolfi

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello all,
Centre of Bath- Guildhall & Abbey- at dusk.
GX100 & Elements6.
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
In Bath we even have a mini version of the famous Flatiron Building in New York.:)
GX100.
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

Rawfa

Wouter, man, you're a Gx200 bad a*s. Your photos show some serious talent, my friend. You really should start thinking about putting together an exhibition or something.
I've recently received my LX3 and the quality is really incredible (BW at 800iso can be breath taking), but I freaking hate that you have to go into those menus with the small joystick to set up stuff manually. I'm trying to get my hands on a GX100 o GX200 for a couple of days for a shoot out. I've read the GX200 has the most film like grain around when it comes to 800iso.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
Autumn leaves with GX100.
Camera flash on slow setting, 1 sec exposure, I moved camera during exposure.
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

Wouter
Thank you for the link - I really enjoyed it, and I've passed it on to a Dutch friend of mine. Still, I'm disappointed that we have to listen to an American voice to get the maximum humour out of the situation (and that Safari insists that I can't spell humour properly)!:angry:
It sure is a fun read. :ROTFL:

I was in Holland one Dec 5th one year and the dark santa came to a party.... I think if my kids would have been there-- would have scared them.... but it is what you are brought up with
My kids can be scared too. :D, but they love the gifts :thumbup:

Hello All,
Nice pictures of St. Nicholas, Wouter. I presume the slight softness comes from the Gaussian blur layer.
Cheers,
gandolfi
Yes, you are right. It can make photos less harsh, especially those from small sensor cameras in my opinion.

Wouter, man, you're a Gx200 bad a*s. Your photos show some serious talent, my friend. You really should start thinking about putting together an exhibition or something.
I've recently received my LX3 and the quality is really incredible (BW at 800iso can be breath taking), but I freaking hate that you have to go into those menus with the small joystick to set up stuff manually. I'm trying to get my hands on a GX100 o GX200 for a couple of days for a shoot out. I've read the GX200 has the most film like grain around when it comes to 800iso.
Thanks Rawfa! I am working on a book as a matter of fact. I had hoped to finish it this month, but it will likely be a December project. I am thinking about publishing it with blurb.

If have seen amazing B&W ISO 800 photos from the LX3 and Dlux4. I am glad you like the images. When I tried the LX3 and Dlux4 at photokina I wasn't so fond of the menu as well.

Ricoh GX200, f2.7, 1 sec, ISO 200, 0.0 EV

kevin

A Dutch parent has a decidedly hairier story to relate, telling his
children, "Listen, you might want to pack a few of your things
together before you go to bed. The former bishop from Turkey will
be coming along with six to eight black men. They might put some
candy in your shoes, they might stuff you in a sack and take you
to Spain, or they might just pretend to kick you. We don't know
for sure, but we want you to be prepared."

This is the reward for living in Holland. As a child you get to
hear this story, and as an adult you get to turn around and repeat
it. As an added bonus, the government has thrown in legalized drugs
and prostitution-so what's not to love about being Dutch?
Wouter, thanks for the link to the Sedaris story. :salute: He is one funny writer. :ROTFL:

W

wbrandsma

You are right Kevin. A great story indeed by Sedaris. And today's weather must have been tough for Saint Nicholas. Snow, hail, and strong winds. :D

Ricoh GX200, f4.6, 1/1400 sec, ISO 200, 0.0 EV

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
A couple of hours ago the International Space Station passed over Bath again. At the moment it has the Space Shuttle in close attendance ( as I type they are trying to repair the machine which converts urine into drinking water!-can you imagine that! ). I had hoped that there may have been 2 separate trails, but they are obviously too close to one another or the shuttle is too small to reflect enough sunlight. I could not see 2 trails even through binoculars.
Anyway, I was not going to spend 10 minutes out in the cold for nothing, so here it is as a black line-2 minute exposure- passing near to a black hole and the white dwarf star known as Elements6 in the constellation of Photoshop.:)
Shot with GX100.:thumbup:
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Earth to Gandolfi...
Earth to Gandolfi...
:ROTFL::ROTFL:
:) h
.......loud and clear, Helen, you're coming through loud and clear on channel 21. I'm out in the 11th dimension looking for parallel universes, and the good news is that I have recently received a communique from the I.S.S. to say they have mended the urine/water purification system. Now they will be able to sit back with a nice cup of tea and admire the view.:)
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

W

wbrandsma

These are the best I can get handheld at low light with the GX200. Manual mode 1/15 sec, f2.7 and ISO 200. A higher ISO setting would hardly be useful in my opinion.

R

RMR2416

Hey guys,
I have been on the fence for the last month about which camera to get for my wife. I love the results you guys get form the GX100/200, and I also love the results some photographers got from the G10. However, I have found a deal on a GX100 w/ VF1 or a GX200 w/o VF1. Which deal would you take?

G10 is nice too, but I think it's a little big for her tiny hands. My wife love B&W, and the GX100 gets AMAZING shots IMHO.

I'll get her to join the forum so she can learn from you. I got nothing to offer. :thumbs: