The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gx100/Gx200

W

wbrandsma

This photograph is part of a series of photographs about Storage as published on the recently started collaborative blog, sharedphotography (with two other GetDPI members).

Rawfa

Are you ever planing on taking a bad photo? :)
Awesome as usual. How did you manage to get this kind of DOF from the GX200?
BTW, sometime ago you've told me you were working a photo book. How is that coming along? Let people know. I'm a huge fan of your work. Last week I went over a lot of your work on flickr and I just can't get over it.

W

wbrandsma

Thank you Rafael. I thought I was making bad photographs currently. But your comment certainly sheers me up again.

To get this kind of DoF with the GX200 (or any other small sensor camera) you need to get close and use the macro mode.

The photo book takes up a lot of time. More then expacted. I have chosen my photographs for the book and will now trim down the selection to something like 50 photographs. I hope to be able to make a set of photographs on flickr with the selection for the book soon.

pollobarca

Wouter Thanks for the tip - I had never thought of using macro this way- I had only ever done that by mistake! I will be trying this out soonest.

Took some photos of my daughters graduation exam:-

and some macros of her confetti and flowers

Whole set is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/sets/72157614350242120/

Great little camera the GX100.
The GX200 got a real slagging in Italian consumer magazine "Altroconsumo".
I will be cancelling my subscription as they didnt mention a real feature of all the "serious" compacts they reviewed- even the winning ones ! :wtf:

W

wbrandsma

Incredible detail. These cameras are really good in macro mode although I personally don't like macro.

I took this just because the light was so beautiful.

In the meantime I have been trying to do some portraits with my GX200.

helenhill

OUTSTANDING...Wouter & Pollobarca
Be it in
Crispness
Bokeh
Color
B&W Tonality
You Guys make the GX series ROCK...:cool:

pollobarca

Thanks Helen,Thanks Wouter,the little girl portrait is a gem.
I've been using the camera a lot for work the last few weeks, taking photos of
machinery etc. Not much in the way of "photos" lately but in a work environment the camera is proving to be very robust too.
all the best
paul

pollobarca

Another pair of Macros. Run the DNG file through silkypix free edition.
Silkypix have removed the free edition now- a real shame and I dont think it will get them more sales.

Anyways hope these pix are liked. This year the holly plant has decided to give us some red berries. Camera is my gx100 . Exif data can be seen on my flickr pages

b rgds to all

paul

T

totallynatural

Hi, this is pretty much my first posting apart from one ages ago. I live in Brighton on the South coast of England and nipped out today to take some pics with my gx100. I remember reading not sure whether it was on here or dpreview but someone was claiming colour shots from it were awful. I found the opposite I absolutely love it. It gives very film like results (similar when the contrast is whacked up to that of my unfortunately sold voigtlander bessa shooting in provia 400).
I've attached a link to some pics on facebook (I really should not post there as they can nick your pics but hey ho :) ). Hope you enjoy them.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=111415&id=618390481&l=f998408a1d

W

wbrandsma

soz forgot to add, Wouter your pics are stunning!
Thank you Matthew and welcome at this great forum. I personally do very little color work, so I will be the last one to judge the color. But your color photographs do look fine to me.

And these camera's are pretty good at macro mode too, although I really don't like macro photography.

This is me.

pollobarca

Matthew,
your pix look very nice. The colour from the Ricoh is great. I too have problems understanding the complaints about the colour from the ricoh.

BTW- pix getting "nicked"? It doesnt worry me. I have found my pictures all over the
net. Mostly used by travel agencies . I really am happy to see them used. It would be nice to be kept informed though. Only a fraction write and tell me or link back to flickr.
I was annoyed by a crop until I found that the lady pianist , who's photo it is, had done the crop... Actually she is right with the crop too. Strangely enough NO Ricoh pics nicked yet, only my Olympus C5050z pix.

T

totallynatural

Thanks for the welcome!

I went out again today and took some more pics, also used my D300 with 180 (which I may post in fun pics with a nikon at some point). I really like colours from the ricoh, I also have a fuji F50 for very low light but don't like the colours on it and usually convert it to b&w plus the noise reduction is not nice. Ricohs grain tends to be great.

heres a link to the pics from today. I should also be out (sleep dependent :)) tomorrow at sunrise I hope to get some more pics (with Ricoh and also D300 but prob using voigtlander 40mm). Thanks for the comments. I really enjoy reading threads on this site. Very informative and friendly.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=111767&id=618390481&l=04c1b95efa[/url]

T

totallynatural

Matthew, look forward to seeing your pix tomorrow- how about some of the pavilion?
b rgds

paul
Hi thanks for the comments. Heres a few more pics (mainly brighton beach again! and the piers). I did get a couple very low light ones of the pavillion but they're not great (I was walking past it home but it was pitch black). I may try later today or tomorrow to get some more. Hope you enjoy them :)
The colour ones are all GX100 the b&w are Fuju F50 at iso3200 & iso6400

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=112167&id=618390481&l=f2471b0f7f
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=112181&id=618390481&l=3b5a53cc44

pollobarca

Matthew,

Especially like the dodgems pic and the birds on the railings. Brighton seems to be suffering the crisis badly. I last went in Octber 2007. It was pretty dead then too.
No pictures (for this thread)as I had only the c5050z at that time:(

b rgds

paul

T

totallynatural

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the comments. I definitely like the Starlings on the railing too.
yes autumn and winter are definitely not the best times for Brighton however in the summer it is absolutely packed. I've been out for the past 5 consecutive days with my GX100 and D300 (either with voigtlander 40mm nokton or 180 2.8 attached I don't change lenses but usually have an 'aim'). On saturday in particular it was getting the summer feeling and the beach front was pretty busy (probably mostly commuter probably from London or Surrey).
I went out on the 21 March during the eve to get the pavilions (and a few other things) and got these shots (taken in colour at iso 80 using my small tripod) which I converted to b&w in photoshop. I've also taken some more D300 ones which I'll post in that thread.

T

totallynatural

sorry thought I had better mention I am very much an amateur when it comes to B&W conversion. Criticism will be very much appreciated (especially from Wouter who's work is exemplary). I did a 'hatchet' job on these simply increasing the black and adding a 'green' filter in the b&w setting in cs3. I personally quite like them although the burnt out high lights in the last (my fave pic) do bother me. I would very much appreciate your advice on b&w technique (I personally prefer colour but cannot get it to look right in low light pics, hence B&w for these shots). I look forward to your advice :)

Kind regards Matt

(I would be happy to send the raw files if anyone wants to play with them. I would love to see what could be done in the right hands)