Site Sponsors

Thread: my first attempts at hdr

Post Thanks / Like

my first attempts at hdr

the fuji s6000 will bracket exposures. and paint shop pro XII has an hdr merger function. these aren't as classy as many i've seen. has anyone else been giving this a try?

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp
    Last edited by smokysun; 15th October 2008 at 09:16.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: my first attempts at hdr

Hi Wayne,

You have managed to avoid the 'there is something not quite right here' feeling I get when I see a lot of HDR images with the first and last images. The others do show it but perhaps that was your intention.

The whole concept of this multi bracketing opens up a whole raft of possibilities I think. Especially if the aim is create something new rather than increase a little shadow/highlight range in a 'straight' intended image.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,
    first attempts , and some of the pictures on flickr , can make you wonder what its all about. Multi bracketing is ok but .. the Ricoh GX100 doesnt do it in RAW and it only takes 3 images. Potentially the fact of only have JPG is not a problem. still it works. But I have had an instance where the application I use, even with a single shot converted to 3 or 5 exposues, cannot align the picture due to complexities in the image. I gave up on that experiment as i didnt feel up to aligning the images manually. Another is windy days and trees. Ghosting occurs. As well as the classic of a bike going through when taking the shot...
    I found that you have to go lightly with the image controls. The defaults give some cartoon like effects most times. I am using DynamicPhoto HDR trial.

Like your mountain views- Yellow sky is nice.

b rgds

paul
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ecliffordsmith View Post
    Hi Wayne,

You have managed to avoid the 'there is something not quite right here' feeling I get when I see a lot of HDR images with the first and last images. The others do show it but perhaps that was your intention.

The whole concept of this multi bracketing opens up a whole raft of possibilities I think. Especially if the aim is create something new rather than increase a little shadow/highlight range in a 'straight' intended image.
    I agree completely. love the first and last
    Some HDR's I see seem like something is 'off', none of yours do that BTW
    well done!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some Free software

http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/

Windows only

It works and has tone curve. Not as good, IMHO, as Photomatix Pro but it's still work in progress.

David

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the appreciations. i haven't tried it again. paint shop pro does a good job of automatically aligning the images. seems like something people who use view cameras would like to do. and i agree, most of the hdr photos look phony. i did run across one hdr book that had beautiful examples. let me see if i can find it.

i think it was this one: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide...1278378&sr=8-1

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp