The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji FInepix F60fd review

simonclivehughes

Lili,

I see what you mean about the portrayal of noise, but I was surprised to see how much the picture deteriorates even going from ISO 100 to 200. Much more than I would have expected.

Cheers,

Lili

Lili,

I see what you mean about the portrayal of noise, but I was surprised to see how much the picture deteriorates even going from ISO 100 to 200. Much more than I would have expected.

Cheers,
Simon, I see what you mean. Having had a F31fd, it is actually quite good by compare.
Of course , being OCD, I had to break myself out of pixel peeping long ago.
What I like is the high ISO doesn't get all blotchy like the jpegs out the F31 and S6000 did, esp at ISO 3200. The clean colors even there are welcome.
No RAW of Course, but my GRD is so slow on RAW and the Jpegs so good I really dont use RAW with it

4season

Lili, to me the f60 samples look pretty similar to the f50s and I'd probably shoot no higher than ISO 400. Beyond that, the built-in noise reduction gets excessive and the photos take on a watercolors-in-the-rain look which I haven't been able to do much with in post processing.

Jeff

Lili

Lili, to me the f60 samples look pretty similar to the f50s and I'd probably shoot no higher than ISO 400. Beyond that, the built-in noise reduction gets excessive and the photos take on a watercolors-in-the-rain look which I haven't been able to do much with in post processing.

Jeff
You have an F50 then?
In your opnion, would the 'updates' and black finish make it worthwhile to wait or would I be better off with the now-heavily-discounted F50?

4season

You have an F50 then?
In your opnion, would the 'updates' and black finish make it worthwhile to wait or would I be better off with the now-heavily-discounted F50?
Yes, I bought one of the first F50s to arrive at B&H Photo, and I it's performance was about the same as what we're seeing with those F60 photos. I think the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W300 is a better camera. If I could do it all over again, I'd also look at Canon's SD950is.

I leave the Sony's built-in noise reduction turned off, and find that it's photos respond very well to a bit of Noise Ninja, and it's dynamic range is better than expected.