Site Sponsors

Thread: Fuji FInepix F60fd review

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuji FInepix F60fd review

Rather good and the sample were better than I expected. The noise at high ISO is not blotches of colors but rather fine grained noise, at least up through ISO 800.
    And the unit is Matt Black rather than Bling Bling Silver.
    I am thinking about getting one to compliment my GRD.
    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...+finepix+f60fd
    Last edited by Lili; 9th September 2008 at 06:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuji FInepix F60fd review

Lili,

I see what you mean about the portrayal of noise, but I was surprised to see how much the picture deteriorates even going from ISO 100 to 200. Much more than I would have expected.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Lili,

I see what you mean about the portrayal of noise, but I was surprised to see how much the picture deteriorates even going from ISO 100 to 200. Much more than I would have expected.

Cheers,
    Simon, I see what you mean. Having had a F31fd, it is actually quite good by compare.
    Of course , being OCD, I had to break myself out of pixel peeping long ago.
    What I like is the high ISO doesn't get all blotchy like the jpegs out the F31 and S6000 did, esp at ISO 3200. The clean colors even there are welcome.
    No RAW of Course, but my GRD is so slow on RAW and the Jpegs so good I really dont use RAW with it

Post Thanks / Like

Lili, to me the f60 samples look pretty similar to the f50s and I'd probably shoot no higher than ISO 400. Beyond that, the built-in noise reduction gets excessive and the photos take on a watercolors-in-the-rain look which I haven't been able to do much with in post processing.

Jeff

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4season View Post
    Lili, to me the f60 samples look pretty similar to the f50s and I'd probably shoot no higher than ISO 400. Beyond that, the built-in noise reduction gets excessive and the photos take on a watercolors-in-the-rain look which I haven't been able to do much with in post processing.

Jeff
    You have an F50 then?
    In your opnion, would the 'updates' and black finish make it worthwhile to wait or would I be better off with the now-heavily-discounted F50?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    You have an F50 then?
    In your opnion, would the 'updates' and black finish make it worthwhile to wait or would I be better off with the now-heavily-discounted F50?
    Yes, I bought one of the first F50s to arrive at B&H Photo, and I it's performance was about the same as what we're seeing with those F60 photos. I think the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W300 is a better camera. If I could do it all over again, I'd also look at Canon's SD950is.

I leave the Sony's built-in noise reduction turned off, and find that it's photos respond very well to a bit of Noise Ninja, and it's dynamic range is better than expected.