The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Venezia

N

ntrolls

Went to Venice last weekend. Truly unique city, and extremely picturesque, but I found that the more picturesque surroundings are, the worse my images tend to get - I get carried away and just press the shutter without thinking properly. Also, I think you put more effort if you're taking photos of something ordinary and familiar.

So, if anyone else has images from Venice, it would be interesting how people capture this magical city in their own view. I could certainly learn a lot.

The following image went through some extreme PP, mainly because the original seemed too careless to me. It was tone-mapped using Photomatix, then converted into b&w.

Last edited:

pollobarca

ntrolls,

last time I went to Venezia I was with Dave Hall from the Olympus forum. He gave me some great tips and his example of working too. You need to stop and take your time over composition and exposure, wait those few moments for the gondola or waterbus to come through.there is no hurry- Venice is sinking very very slowly! I will be in venice next week for a day with my brother- another grand photographer.
Heres my personal favourite from the day with Dave, Olympus c5050

Exposure: 0.02 sec (1/50)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 21.3 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: -7/10 EV

another view

Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/4
Focal Length: 10.5 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: -13/10 EV

I have found my Venice pictures being used by travel companies on their web sites , cant be too bad as pix go!
Heres the set:-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/sets/72157602936919711/

ntrolls- get back to Venice asap, or how about January? with cold,ice, fog perhaps even some snow. I saw that many years ago (1979) and wished I had a camera with me!
rest of the set:-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/sets/72157602936919711/

When i go to Venice i stay off the lagoon, now I stay near to Treviso airport at a bed n Breakfast ( I often go to the airport for work). heres the bnb:-
http://www.meublecortina.it/

b rgds

paul

N

ntrolls

Thank you Paul for the advice. I like the gondola shot :)

Here are some other images I've processed.

Not a typical Venice photo, but a view from Lido.

pollobarca

ntrolls,

lovely pix, the San Marco one is very nice.

b rgds

paul

ps another good reasonable price hotel-

http://www.hotelgiustizia.com/
Mestre, bus stops outside hotel for Venice lagoon.
next door is the trattoria All'Amelia. reputed one of the best in Veneto. Well they fed Fellini among others such as Reagan and Pope John Paul

N

ntrolls

This time heavily post-processed :) I think this is somewhere in Dorsoduro, but not sure.

hilld

ntrolls, I know what you mean about standing amidst an embarrassment of scenic riches with an itchy shutter-release finger, but I think your pix are terrific

pollobarca

ntrolls, I know what you mean about standing amidst an embarrassment of scenic riches with an itchy shutter-release finger, but I think your pix are terrific
Nice work Ntrolls, I am now actually in Mestre , just got into the hotel from the town. The new bridge is very nice looking but... It shakes when people walk past you while you are trying to take a night shot with tripod!!:shocked:
Here it is - a quick snap taken this evening from the solid embankment.

b rgds

paul

jonoslack

but I found that the more picturesque surroundings are, the worse my images tend to get - I get carried away and just press the shutter without thinking properly. Also, I think you put more effort if you're taking photos of something ordinary and familiar.
Oh YES!
But I don't think it's about carelessness, or getting carried away, I just reckon that the more the scene has been photographed, and the more it has to say, the less you can say.

Venice is second only to the Grand Canyon for photo opportunities which leave you no room for personal expression.

pollobarca

Thanks Ed,
I am working on my shots from last week and will be posting soon.
Jono- Venice is photographed so much (especially now with everyone
owning some sort of digital) that you have to queue up to get the best spots to photograph from ... But I believe there is plenty of room for putting ones own ideas etc into the pictures.

b rgds

paul

N

ntrolls

We left Venice on a full moon :cry:

The grain is not very visible in this size - a large version can be seen here.

J

Joe Dasbach

ntrolls, a few images from Venezia taken with a small-sensor camera (Olympus d40) back in November 2001. One is most memorable for November 2001.

Joe

pollobarca

Finally getting my Venice pictures from September organised...
Ponte Calatrava (new wobbling bridge) Camera: Ricoh Caplio GX100
Exposure: 1 sec (1)
Aperture: f/4.6
Focal Length: 7.3 mm
ISO Speed: 200

San Marco ,used the Nikon WCE68 and that gives me a 16mm wide angle on the Gx100
Camera: Ricoh Caplio GX100 + Nikon wce68
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/620)
Aperture: f/5.4
Focal Length: 6 mm

one with my Oly C5050z Camera: Olympus C5050Z
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/3.6
Focal Length: 21.3 mm

All the best
paul

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
Nice pics all round.
Paul, what a great toy is the GX100- and stick a piece of widening glass on it and it is even more fun! The bridge pic is great.
Gandolfi.