The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Olympus E3 - some general comments

nostatic

how about the DMC-L1 as an intro to 4/3, followed by an E3 body (or the Digiliux 4 when it comes out) down the road? I've been shooting a D70 mostly with 105mm macro lens but my experience with my D-lux3 has me pondering a move to 4/3. The L1 kit lens is evidently quite sweet (Leica 14-50 2.8-3.5) and the L1 is dirt cheap these days...pretty much get the body for free. I shoot a mix of closeup macro and would also like long throw capabilities.

Anyone comment on 4/3 for macro performance vs. the prosumer Nikon? My other option would be to jump to the D300.

Brian Mosley

It depends how cheaply you can find the L1... I would think the E-510 is the best starting point for 4/3 right now - since it includes IS for all lenses - and the twin kit lenses are optically extremely good (as well as very compact)

If you're thinking you'll be going for the E-3, I'd recommend get that first, and then consider an E-420 when it's released (I hope it will get IS - but even if it just gets the E-3 sensor it will be an excellent complement to the E-3)

Hope that makes sense,

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

how about the DMC-L1 as an intro to 4/3, followed by an E3 body (or the Digiliux 4 when it comes out) down the road? I've been shooting a D70 mostly with 105mm macro lens but my experience with my D-lux3 has me pondering a move to 4/3. The L1 kit lens is evidently quite sweet (Leica 14-50 2.8-3.5) and the L1 is dirt cheap these days...pretty much get the body for free. I shoot a mix of closeup macro and would also like long throw capabilities.

Anyone comment on 4/3 for macro performance vs. the prosumer Nikon? My other option would be to jump to the D300.
Hi There
I've always loved 4/3 for macro and closeup - the fact that nearly all of the lenses focus very close (even cheap kit lenses like the 14-42), and that there is possibly the best macro lens I've used (50mm f2), together with the slightly larger depth of field make for great pictures. The 50-200 makes a splendid (reasonably lightweight) 100-400, f2.8-f3.5 means it's fast as well.

I agree with Brian though - consider one of the Olympus bodies, preferably with Image Stabilisation. If you like the Leica feel and build quality then the E3 won't disappoint, and the Olympus lenses are excellent (no compromises there).

nostatic

The L1 with the 14-50 lens can be had new for $800. Very tempting. While I've been fairly happy with my D70/105micro combination, it has a very narrow dof. I'd like a litte more flexibility, and the zooms I've had on the Nikon just can't focus close-up.

Photon-hunter

Hi Jono,

That was a really interesting post, thank you. I'm looking forward to testing the E3 and my wife is considering switching to either the D300 or E3 as her primarily professional body next year.

Cheers,

Sean
Sean, I think I recall reading somewhere your wife was shoting with a 30D/5D combo. May I ask what is causing the move away from Canon´s gear?

Thanks, Erik.

S

Sean_Reid

Sean, I think I recall reading somewhere your wife was shoting with a 30D/5D combo. May I ask what is causing the move away from Canon´s gear?

Thanks, Erik.
Hi Erik,

Yes - lack of weather sealing. The 1-series bodies are too large and heavy to interest her at all. I had a 1Ds for several years and she never even touched it.

Cheers,

Sean

Brian Mosley

I have collected a number of Hexanon legacy lenses for my Olympus E-1/E-400/E-3 - and recently, with a firmware upgrade Olympus have enabled Image Stabilisation for all lenses

I can't overstate what a huge bonus this has been for my E-3... here are a few images I took at high ISO this afternoon with the E-3 using live-view to manually focus a Hexanon 40mm f1.8 pancake lens at f2.8

If I was starting again, I'd get myself a Leica R to 4/3rd adapter and start collecting some Leica R lenses... but the Hexanon lenses have been remarkably cheap to gather - and I'm more than pleased with their quality.

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Hi Jorgen,

Those are some very nice portraits. Do you focus with live view hand held?
yes! you can zoom in to a selection on screen x5 x7 or x10... and that square can be moved to anywhere in the frame before zooming in - which makes it easy to maintain the composition for a portrait, while focusing on the eye.

It really works very well indeed - maybe even better than AF.

Kind Regards

Brian