The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Impulse Buy

Lili

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022402samsungl85.asp
I got it at Wolf in their clearance shop.
38-190mm efl zoom, 8mp.
Does Jpeg and TIFF of all things.
Aperture preferred, Shut preferred and Manual modes, will actually permit fine tuning of WB and RGB
ALL shutter speeds avail in Manual.
Google shows bad case of fringing.
I cannot find any in these rather banal test shots (jpeg straight from camera default settings, very low compression too)

pollobarca

Lili,

Samsung make great little cameras. My daughter has one (digimax l73 or 4)that cost less than half the price of my Ricoh. Pics are nice. It is limited compared to more expensive cameras but ... Most times its more than adequate.

b rgds

paul

Lili

Thanks Will and Paul.
This camera has many nice features.
You can activate manual focus ala' the GRD 2; it displays a focus scale with distance markings in meters amongs others.
The only things lacking are IS and ISO's higher than 400.

Lili

Test of my 'impulse buy' Samsung Digimax L85, full manual controls, live histogram, jpeg and tiff, roughly only 50% compression on jpeg.
Straight shot with matrix metering at max ISO of 400.

Lili

Test of my L85 using my standard Urban Decay subjects, adjusted exposure to minus 1ev, this sensor does not clip highlights nearly so badly as once I thought :)

Lili

Those are some great images from a small sensor. Did you have to do a lot of post processing?
WIth this one I simply desaturated to B&W using flickr's picnik, others I have just cropped. The L85's metering is surprisingly good.

With the GRD I sometime convert to B&W in PP, but it does so very well in out-of-camera B&W jpegs that I far prefer these.

iiiNelson

Sweet... How has the reliability been with your Ricoh's? I'm seeing more and more of these images pop up around and have been pretty impressed so far. My only concern is they don't seem to be widely available outside the net.

Lili

hiredarm; my GRD has been awesome in reliability, I carry in my purse everywhere and have no issue, tho I keep it outo f the rain and dust as much as possible.
I got mine from tony at popflash.com, adorama has or had the them as well, but I adore popflash.
My Samsung L85 came from wolf camera clearance center.
for 175$ NIB it is a steal ;)

iiiNelson

Wow that's an amazing deal on the Samsung. I really don't want to hijack your thread because it takes away from your great photography but how does the Ricoh GX100 and GX200 compare to each other? Feel free to send me a PM if you prefer.