The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G10 Manual Focus Control Question

Mikec

I like that C1/C2 "remember" the manual focus distance. On the other hand, I am unable to get manual focus to work if I have the LCD off.

My question is, does manual focus only works when the LCD is on?

I was hoping for using C1/C2 settings for preset zone focus, LCD off, optical viewfinder settings.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I don't think that will work...tried it my self and it ain't happening.....

Did you figure out how to have a B&W display without shooting just a B&W jpg....
I do raw only and can't get it to work like my G9...

shooter

Mikec

That's the other bummer. I cannot get it to do B&W if I want my RAW file. :(

I hope these will get addressed in a firmware update.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Yeah...I just love seeing the image in B&W......guess I'll keep the G9 for a spell...

besides, with the 2 I cover 28-210 or something......

Michael S

A G9 owner once told me that he pre-set a manually focused distance of 10 ft with the lcd on and saved that in C1. Then, as I understood it, the camera 'remembered' the distance setting even after he turned the lcd off.

Don't know whether this held true after the camera was powered off, and then on again, and since I don't have a G9 myself, I cannot test or verify.

I'm interested in this also, as I often pre-set focus an older Canon compact to minimize lag.

Mikec

That's the sad part. When I turn the LCD off, the MF seems to be turned off as well. Here is how I reached my conclusion: If I turn AF assist light on, LCD on, MF to a fixed distance, turn LCD off, shoot. I get the AF assist light as well as hear the AF noise (if I listen carefully).

It seems like it would be pretty easy to fix with firmware update. The B&W is a pretty big bummer as well. I read Sean Reid's site and I feel that being able to have a B&W workflow is pretty important as well.

If I had more time, I would "hack" the firmware myself! Because I really like how the G10 feels (the grip is pretty nice). If the gripping surface is like the GRD, it would be even better.

If Canon make the following improvements to the G10, I would pay a lot of money for the upgrade,
- faster lens (f/2 or faster, I am willing to have less zoom range)
- better dynamic range, lower noise at high ISO (I am willing to take 6-8MP only)
- great MF control, maybe a lockable dedicated wheel
- step zoom like GX100/200 (makes using external VF a good option)
- gripping surface like the GRD or GX
- support B&W when shooting RAW

I might be one of the few crazies, but I am willing to pay up to $2000 for such a camera (provided that the lens is excellent). If you read Sean's site, you might agree that these small sensor cameras draw very differently. I really like how they draw and that's why I want such a camera. My D700 has way better image quality if you evaluate it technically, but I still use my GRD II a lot.

Micro 4/3 is nice but I like even smaller sensors!

A G9 owner once told me that he pre-set a manually focused distance of 10 ft with the lcd on and saved that in C1. Then, as I understood it, the camera 'remembered' the distance setting even after he turned the lcd off.

Don't know whether this held true after the camera was powered off, and then on again, and since I don't have a G9 myself, I cannot test or verify.

I'm interested in this also, as I often pre-set focus an older Canon compact to minimize lag.

Michael S

Mike, you had me with you nearly 100% on your suggested modifications ... till you got to the price. :eek:

Back to the MF w/out lcd question, how about the same test, but with the AF assist light switched off ?

Then after establishing this as a custom setting, with manual focus at say 1 meter (or 2 meters if you prefer), take a series of snaps, with the existence of near & far subjects establishing whether the camera is still stubbornly trying to autofocus.

Given the extraordinary d.o.f. at wide angle, you might need to go out longer than 28mm (equiv) to get a sense of what the camera is doing.

Not looking to make extra work for you, but I'm curious.

thanks -
Michael

Mikec

When I get the chance, I will do a little more testing to see if MF does not work when LCD is turned off.

Another evidence that leads me to believe that is, the metering mode button switches between aperture value, metering mode, and MF when the LCD is on. After LCD is turned off and back on, the metering mode button only switches between aperture value and metering mode. When I re-enable MF, the previous MF distance is "forgotten". :(

Any other G10 users here?

Mikec

My experience is not consistent with what was described in the link. When the LCD is turned off, my G10 tries to AF. I will do more testing to verify when I get the time. For now, if you are seriously considering a G10, I would suggest trying one out at your local camera store.

When LCD is on and MF is set, half-press shutter button to taking a shot makes no noticeable sound (the only sound I can detect is the aperture closing down/shutter mechanism).

When MF is set, LCD is turned off, half-press shutter button triggers AF. Two pieces of evidence are, AF assist light comes on, and I hear noise that I don't hear when the LCD is on. I suspect that's the AF motor noise.

If there are G10 users out there that would like to share their findings, I would appreciate it.

Mikec

Another new piece of evidence that I just discovered, when I switch the LCD off while MF is set, I can hear a noise. I suspect that's the noise of the AF motor engaging.

Mikec

More observations that suggest MF does NOT work when LCD is turned off.

1. When MF is set and LCD is on, half-press shutter button, top indicator light next to viewfinder instantly turns green. When MF is set, then turn LCD off, half-press shutter button, top indicator light next to viewfinder takes a while to turn green. I did this in a semi-lowlight environment, so it's not surprising that the AF took a little while.

2. When MF is set and the LCD is on, half-press shutter button, bottom indicator light next to viewfinder is on. That indicates MF is on. When MF is set, then turn LCD off, half-press shutter button, bottom indicator light next to viewfinder is off. That indicates MF is off.

Canon, please allow MF when LCD is off.

Michael S

Mike, are you 'locking' the MF distance into a custom setting when you do the testing ?

Not sure exactly what bearing that has, but the gentleman on the other forum seemed to indicate that's what he was doing, and if I'm reading his comments correctly, he even suggested this lessened lag.

Q (from me): Did you see whether the manual focus distance was "held" even when you turned off the lcd ?

A: No affect from turning off the LCD, other than to shorten shutter release delay. See my other post.

Mikec

Yes, all my observations are made with "C1" in which I saved my MF distance to ~5ft.

I speculate that he is wrong and I am right. ;)