The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best shirt-pocket JPEG camera?

bradhusick

I am looking for opinions on the best image quality for straight out of the camera JPEGs in a shirt pocket-size camera. To be clear, I like the the D-Lux 5, XZ-1, X10 but all of these are too big for the shirt pocket. RAW capability not important here.

As we know, most of these cameras make a smeary mess of photos above base ISO, so I am looking for good quality up through ISO 800 and a reasonably fast lens. Zoom range more than 4X or 5X is not required.

In summary - small camera, best JPEG IQ including ISO 800. Fire away!

V

Vivek

I am considering the upcoming Nokia pureview for that (size wise). I must say that it is not really a good thing to have a camera or phone in you shirt pocket (which is usually on the left side over your heart area).

Though the chances are slim with many, there is enough Lithium in the batteries of these devices to cause major damage when something goes seriously wrong.

V

Vivek

With a 41MP sensor, it does have a "lossless" zoom, a feature that is in the newly unveiled Sony A57 (16MP) SLT.

bradhusick

Nokia says the 41MP is not coming to the US.

Doesn't anybody here own a small JPEG camera they like? Or their spouse likes?

bradhusick

Thanks all. Keep ideas coming if you have them. (XZ-1 too big)

Anybody here on GetDPI have a used Canon S90 or S95 laying around? Already looking on ebay.

wjlapier

Now that I think about it. Leica C Lux-3 or Lumix clone. Tiny little camera with, I think, a 5x zoom. 25-125? I had one for a summer and you had to somehow disable the default settings to get great jpeg pics. Hard to find these days--I looked for one not too long ago.

atanabe

Brad,
Glazers has a couple of used Canon S95s in their case. I have one and it is quite a lot of camera for the size! Raw is available as well, JPEGs are decent and the flash sync goes up to 1/1600 which is useable in the bright mid day Hawaiian sun for 3/4 portrait fill in flash.

-Al

bradhusick

Thanks Al. As I understand them, the S90 and S95 are identical except for video capabilities. The S100 is a substantial step up from the S95.

Terry

Thanks Al. As I understand them, the S90 and S95 are identical except for video capabilities. The S100 is a substantial step up from the S95.
The S95 improved on a few niggles from the S90. Given a choice pay up for the S95 over the S90. I haven't looked closely at the S100.

mazor

i think a shirt pocket cameras with zoom compromises quality. hence i agree with vivek, whereby either the 808 pureview from nokia other cheaper nokia n8! Very small, very light and will not weigh your pocket too much, and quality is indeed impressive.

busch63

for me: Canon S100!!
buy - and have lots of fun. small, handy, great quality, ISO1600 IQ still good, ISO800 IQ very good, 24-120mm zoom, f2,0-5,9, will fit into any shirt pocket