The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX3 shoots the Cranberry Festival

simonclivehughes

This morning, we went to the Fort Langley (BC) annual Cranberry Festival. The weather was perfect, and I shot with the LX3. I've added a blog entry to my website about the festival and using the LX3, but here's a couple of shots:

View attachment 8177

View attachment 8176

Both shots are jpegs straight from the LX3, absolutely untouched, with no adjustments whatsoever other than resizing to 1024 wide.

The top shot is with the camera set to Dynamic Color (ISO 80), the bottom one set to Dynamic B&W (ISO 400) which produces simply stunning black and white images. This little camera is just a gem!

See the rest at:

http://web.mac.com/simonchughes/Site/Blog/Entries/2008/10/11_Fort_Langley_Cranberry_Festival.html

Ciao,

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Simon...how do you find the white balance on the LX3...even in Raw...it sucks..

I have one but it's not to accurate and that Silkypix...is a pain...
I've been converting to full jpeg's then importing to LR for corrections etc....

shooter

simonclivehughes

Actually, I talk about that on my website (see link in original post). I noticed that I had to adjust WB in a couple of pictures, primarily on shots taken in the shade. I've not even bothered to load Sillypix, nor do I intend to. I'll await ACR support of the LX3 RAW files. In the meantime, the out-of-camera jpegs are astonishingly good, especially with a bit of PP work such as gentle sharpening and possibly some curve work. The Dynamic B&W images are really fabulous. None of the shots in this post or on my blog were PP in any way other than WB on a couple and resizing.

For the small amount of images that require WB adjustment, I just open the jpegs in ACR and find a suitable WB point.

Cheers,

W

wbrandsma

Thank you for sharing, Simon. Your B&W photographs from the LX3 with the dynamic B&W setting are very good indeed in my opinion. Panasonic really wanted to compete with Ricoh on this one.
The color photographs in the vivid and dynamic setting are pretty saturated, a bit too much for my taste. Have you also tried the nostalgic setting?
Later this month I will be able to try the LX3 myself, so I am curious how the camera compares to the Ricoh GX200.

My kids loved the photograph with the two puppies by the way.

simonclivehughes

Thank you for sharing, Simon. Your B&W photographs from the LX3 with the dynamic B&W setting are very good indeed in my opinion. Panasonic really wanted to compete with Ricoh on this one.
The color photographs in the vivid and dynamic setting are pretty saturated, a bit too much for my taste. Have you also tried the nostalgic setting?
Later this month I will be able to try the LX3 myself, so I am curious how the camera compares to the Ricoh GX200.

My kids loved the photograph with the two puppies by the way.
Werner,

Thanks, I'm very pleased with the camera so far (one day on!). Yes, the B&W jpegs equal if not surpass the Ricohs (I have the GRD II and the GX100) and with a bit of PP, mostly sharpening, they will really sing. For this post, however, I wanted to show untouched, out-of-camera jpegs.

I briefly tried the Nostalgic setting but found it was much too unsaturated for me. I was a Velvia shooter for years, so the saturated palette is a natural for me.

Aren't those puppies just astonishingly cute? They were just adorable in person.

View attachment 8193

Excellent Simon, love the Black and White especially; it really sparkles
Lili,

Thanks, I agree about the B&W, that Dynamic B&W setting is a real winner. I'm going into Vancouver today with my sons and will do some street shooting with the LX3. I'll report back on that experience later on.

Ciao,

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

Thank you for your response, Simon. I like the name Werner too :ROTFL:, but my name is Wouter :D

And yes, the dogs are really cute. I hope you post some fine photographs from Vancouver. Just love that city.

A

asabet

Thank you for your response, Simon. I like the name Werner too :ROTFL:, but my name is Wouter :D
That one really made me belly laugh and almost choke on my coffee :p.

Simon, those shots look great to me!

Wouter, I look forward to hearing your thoughts LX3!

simonclivehughes

Wouter, scads of apologies! Evidently not enough caffeine in the system when posting... dangerous!

You know, as I was replying, "Werner" seemed wrong and I even scrolled down to check the postings, but, of course, signatures don't show up. Mea culpa.

Here's a few from today, mostly at Stanley Park. These jpgs have had a bit of processing.

View attachment 8222

View attachment 8223

Lunch on Denham Street. Fill flash in this one.
View attachment 8224

Cheers,

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

:thumbup: Alright Simon. I can't run without coffee either.

Excellent photographs. I especially like the view from Stanley Park. Reminds me of my trip to Vancouver in 1999.

archiM44

Simon, wonderful photographs. I'm also very pleases with my LX3, although I haven't used it yet for anything beyond some family shots and some tests.
I have shot in RAW and develop in Raw Developer from Iridient which does support the LX3 and easily get excellent results. (I never really enjoyed using Silkypix, neither for Olympus nor M8 files).
After seeing these photographs, I will certainly start using the LX3 more.
Maurice