The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GX200 vs GRD II

sagar

Okay I have been jumping on and off with Ricoh. I tried GRD I when I tried it for few days. Later to sell it and go for Nikon D40. Now I am back to square one, as D40 just sits on shelf at home and I am looking for going to GRD II or GX200.But not able to decided between the two.

I think I would be fine with 28mm only option with GRD but would really love to have 24mm of GX. Another concern I have is about dust thread I came across in relation to GX100. Comparatively I have not seen much issues with GRD series.

I would like to know which camera would generally be better on the image quality, speed of operation, reliability and dust protection. I am expecting to take 50-60% casual color snaps while around 40% BW photos.

Also which camera would perform better indoor?

andrewteee

I have the GRD2 and GX100 and I use both. Ultimately, I prefer the GRD2 only because of a slight edge in image quality and for simplicity. But naturally the GX100 (GX200) offers more flexibility. I would buy the GX100 over the GX200 because of noise issues. Neither GRD2 or GX100 is great indoors (problems inherent in most small sensor cameras). Both are fast, reliable, fun to use and take great pictures.

Do you want or need zoom or not? Let that decide.

sagar

Andrew, Wills, Thanks for the replied.

Do you think I can take daylight indoor pictures within 64-100 ISO range with GR2?

sagar

Thanks John. The photos I have seen so far, I am almost sold on GRD II but looking forward to hear more from other regular members as well.

On the other note, do you think using GRD II as *only* camera for casual and some serious shoot would be limiting too much...?

V

VladimirV

I have the GRD I and GRD II and also use a GX100 frequently. For indoor and high ISO use I prefer the GRD I but due to the fast lens you can use ISO 100-400 for daylight indoor pictures.
The GRDs have been my only cameras now and although I bought the LC1 and while it's a nice camera it's just too big, the IQ is aside from ISO 100 not as good as the GRDs and the f2 lens does not help in low light if the max ISO is 400. With the 21mm and 40mm adapter lenses the GRDs are as versatile as I need.
The GX100 is more versatile and has also a good IQ but has a limited DR and the lens is not as fast when you zoom in.

For me as it stands at the moment, I would recommend getting a GRD I for better JPG and b&w and high ISO image quality and a GX200 if you want a more versatile camera. The GRD II is nice but I only use it for low ISO color pictures since I don't like the IQ over ISO 200 and am not impressed with the b&w images.
You can have a loot at my blog for pictures and I also have some comparisons between the GRDs, GX100 and LC1 posted.

Robert Campbell

I have a GRDII and a GX100. The GX is more 'practical' with the [stepped] zoom, though I find the electronic viewfinder gives very odd colours at times - mostly greens/blue-greens - and this is very off-putting when the colours through the viewfinder are different from those you can see with the other eye. No problems with dust though - I have the new lens cap thingy, and it's much more practical than having to take the cap off and put it back on.

I don't particularly like chimping - and it's a bit difficult for me. The GRD even with the small direct viewfinder is compact, though I find the 28mm a bit wide for a pocket notebook - though it 's the nearest thing to a Minox 35. The built in level [also in the GX200] is a neat device.

I use both as casual cameras, but lots of people use them for more serious work. I might try using the GX for b/w - if you choose this, then the EVF is b/w, and this might help me with more graphic pix.

N

ntrolls

I can only speak for GX-100; I love the camera, but if there's one thing that GX-100 is not fit for, it's indoor photography with poor lighting. Overall I'm a very happy user of GX-100, but sometimes I wonder how it would've been if GX-100 had better response to low lighting...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Thanks John. The photos I have seen so far, I am almost sold on GRD II but looking forward to hear more from other regular members as well.

On the other note, do you think using GRD II as *only* camera for casual and some serious shoot would be limiting too much...?
Yes, it would be too limiting for some serious work , I use my M8 and/or 5d for that.

But the nice thing is you can always have it with you and use it places where even an M body would stand out. I can't say anything about it's internal JPEG's since I never use them. I shoot RAW and post everything in CS3 and use the Alien Skin Plug in for B&W.

Last edited:

sagar

Thanks again for your suggestions. I have started my search for getting nicely used GRD I...hope I get it soon :)

Lili

I know I am late to the Party, but for JPEG and in-camera B&W, the GRD rules.
Looking for a used GRD I is good choice IMHO
:)

sagar

Just an update for every one who help me making my mind...I could not find a GRD I so finally settling on GRD II... just hope I will not be disappointed

V

VladimirV

The GRD II won't disappoint and is a great camera on it's own. Do report back with your thoughts on it and pictures once you get it.

fordfanjpn

I have the GRD 2 and quite like it. But for low light stuff, the LX3 kicks its butt. As a matter of fact, since getting the LX3, I haven't touched the GRD 2 except to take some pictures of the LX3. :eek:

Bill