The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 accessories. Flash, c/u worth it?

charlesphoto

So I bit the bullet and have a used DP1 on the way (way cheap thanks to Microsoft live cash back program). I also picked up a good deal on the 28 finder for it.

My question is in regards to anyone's experience with the add on flash and the close up lens. Are either worth it? Are their other flash options?

Despite it's drawbacks I'm really excited about this camera. The images I've seen from it are stunning and unique, and I can't really say that about any other digital compact I've seen (my opinion only).

I'm off to Paris at the end of the month for a short trip (I have an opening there) and my kit will consist of the DP1 and a Rolleiflex TLR in a small Hadley bag. Best of both worlds imo.

simonclivehughes

Charles,

Congrats on both the purchase and your opening in Paris. You'll love the DP1 as long as you don't expect it to be a fast shooter. Given your film background however, I'm sure you'll have no difficulty with it whatsoever. The quality is really astonishing given its size.

While I can't comment on the flash or the Sigma finder (I use the CV 28mm finder), I do have the AML-1 close up lens. The lens is very good optically but I find it difficult (well, finicky, really) to use. BEcause the camera doesn't have a true macro mode, it can be a little hard to judge the right focus distance to use with the lens on. When you get it right, however, it's a worthwhile accessory.

FWIW, I have an SB-80DX flash that I operated on and removed the additional dedicated terminals so that just the center terminal remains. I've used that sparingly with the DP1 just in A or M mode and it works well enough.

Cheers,

charlesphoto

Thanks Simon. Yeah, used to shooting with M's so I don't expect a camera to do everything for me. Also the fact that ACR and LR now support the DP1 was also a clincher. The LX3 (and G10) certainly has some great stuff going for it but of course 18 months from now the LX4/G11 will be even better. :p

Yeah, I'll try and find an old center pin only flash. Though may just buy the whole DP1 kit (I'm like that). Esp as I paid less than $300 for the camera (and $60 for the finder) (prices after rebate).

Any other tips or tricks with this camera?

simonclivehughes

Charles,

As for tips and tricks, I use the DP1 in Aperture mode, almost entirely in manual focus mode at ISO 100. I find with the camera set to f4 to f5 and the focus wheel at about 2 to the half-way mark between 2 and 5 that I get great hyperfocal shooting. I set the EC to -0.7 to help keep the highlights intact. I've also had no qualms about raising the ISO up to 400 if necessary, or even 800, especially for B&W output.

I find that the DP1 shots converted to B&W are simply stunning and have a luminous quality to them that is very pleasing. I just started using Nik's Silver Efex Pro for B&W work so I'm interested to see how it works on the DP1 shots.

I have some DP1 examples on my website as well as some workflow notes: http://web.mac.com/simonchughes/Site/Cameras/Pages/Sigma_DP1.html

Here's an example of what I mean for B&W with the DP1:

View attachment 8437

Cheers,

Last edited:
D

David Paul Carr

You can also simply put gaffer tape over the flash contacts you don't want to use...
I like your website Charles.

simonclivehughes

David,

Personally, I've never had much faith in taping over the contacts as the flash shoe can get awfully tight in the hotshoe and because of that the tape shifts.

In my case, the SB-80DX was a left-over legacy flash that I didn't mind cannibalizing.

Thanks for the kind words, Charles.

Ciao,

S

SimonL

Excellent! Yeah, maybe my Leica SF20 might be a good match.

Simon,

Great stuff. Thanks!
Be careful which flashgun you use.

I'm told that voltages differ and some old flash units will fry more modern cameras which use much lower voltages.

HTH