The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Let me be honest to you: I'm amazed

OlliL

Just received a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC5.

You probably know that this camera was bashed, when it was released in 2002, as the early reviews complaint about generally mushy pictures.
After some time Leica (Digilux 1 is the same camera) and Pana responded that the sensor was developed to produce great pictures, when they're printed, instead of being viewed on a computer screen (who had a LCD panel back then ;) ).

So I shot a couple frames in our living room, since I haven't received my battery yet, when our neighbours son came in. He usually comes around when he's bored to look from our balcony.

Anyway I asked him to stand still (pose :D ) and took a portrait.

Collin von oliverleschke auf Flickr

What do you think of the quality?
I must say that I'm really stunned and surprised by the performance of this camera.

Btw got it brand-new from old (10y old :thumbs: ) stock from an ebay seller for exactly 5% of the MSRP. :toocool:

Terry

Some of the older cameras are just great. The Digilux 2 is the camera that go me back into photography. If Panasonic or Leica were to release that camera again today with an up to date EVF, sensor and stuff, I would buy it again. Those early lenses were fantastic.

leave the body alone, don't change the lens and I would be really quite happy.

OlliL

I agree.
The sensors aren't up to date anymore (3.9MP in this case, with really strong noise above iso 100), but apart from that some are really great.
The LC5 even has in focus confirmation, when you're using MF, a thing I'm still missing in the m4/3 bodies and love about the Contax T-series film cameras.

marlof

I have the Leica Digilux 1 here. A regular Jekyll and Hyde camera. Many times it sucked big time with watercolor images, but when it got its act together, it could also perform magic. My avatar is shot with it. :)

OlliL

Exactly one week after the camera, my first battery arrived yesterday.
Took the camera with me, when I went for a walk with the dogs.

Here's one, wide-open near the tele end.
Overexposed, due to the pretty slow maximum shutter speed, with contrast correction afterwards.

Hi von oliverleschke auf Flickr