Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ricoh "40 mm" Adapter

Player

Re: Ricoh "40 mm" Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by Player View Post
    Interesting Chuck, I never thought of that. Thankyou.

Could someone confirm? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck A View Post
    Could be for parallax correction.
    Chuck, I did a little research, and I think you're spot on. I found some specs and it says: "Symbol for parallax correction." The use of the word "symbol" seems odd to me, but it must be referring to the dotted lines.

As I think about this, there's really nothing else it could be, and with a VF mounted above the lens, it would be the top of the frame that gets cut off.

Thanks again!

Chuck A

Player,

Sean would probably know for sure. I am not sure how close the subject has to be to use the parallax lines though.

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck A View Post
    Player,

Sean would probably know for sure. I am not sure how close the subject has to be to use the parallax lines though.
    Chuck, I did a little more research and I found this:

"Like most wide angle finders, it has no manual parallax compensation -- but it does have parallax compensation marks in the finder. The lower dotted brightlines indicate the approximate view at about 3 feet. The upper solid brightlines indicate the approximate view at infinity."

Another case cracked.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In using my CV 28mm OVF, I never use it for close ups enough to test the parallax correction marks. If I get that close it is no longer a matter of discretion or 'candid' and I can use the LCD.
    Then the matter is moot.

Player

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    In using my CV 28mm OVF, I never use it for close ups enough to test the parallax correction marks. If I get that close it is no longer a matter of discretion or 'candid' and I can use the LCD.
    Then the matter is moot.
    Lili, even the VFs themselves are a moot point considering the LCD, but maybe that's why they're an optional accessory.

Sean_Reid

Chuck, I did a little more research and I found this:

"Like most wide angle finders, it has no manual parallax compensation -- but it does have parallax compensation marks in the finder. The lower dotted brightlines indicate the approximate view at about 3 feet. The upper solid brightlines indicate the approximate view at infinity."

Another case cracked.
    Yup, that's what the line is for.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Sean:

When will u post some info on your 40mm analysis??

I have held off purchasing the GRD II and the 40 mm adapter until I get some more info.

Thanks.

Happy New Year to all.

Martin

Mitch Alland

Martin, sorry but I can't help reacting by saying, "I guess it will be ready when it's ready". It seems to me that it's impossible to push someone on such a thing, as this type of testing is time consuming and we would not want Sean to take short cuts because we all want the type of good and thorough review that he always does.

On the other hand there is a lot of information on the GRD2 on this forum and on others, including RAW and JPG files from the camera that can be downloaded; so if you're in a hurry you could make decision on the basis of the information already available.

As for the 40 mm EFOV tele-converter, I haven't seen much information on this, but I would bet that it's of similar quality to the 21mm wide-converter, which is excellent. Also, as it's not expensive, you could take a chance and buy it of you're in a hurry; or you could buy the GRD2 and hold off on the tele-converter until Sean's review is ready.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lili, even the VFs themselves are a moot point considering the LCD, but maybe that's why they're an optional accessory.
    Ah true.
    But is the sun is fairly low and directly behind one then the LCD is VERY hard to see.

Having accurate OVF is a life-saver then as it was in this shot;

Player

Lili yes, it's nice to have options.

Nice shot! Really like it!

Taken with your GRD? What ISO was that?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mitch. I realize that Sean's evaluations are time consuming, and extensive. I have no problem waiting. His testing will compare the GX-100, GRD 2D, and the Canon G9 (as a comparative). This is an excellent way to really evaluate the GR 2D.

I am sure that it will be worth the wait.

Martin

Sean_Reid

I'm back in southern VT now and tomorrow I'll begin much of the formal testing of the GR2 (with and without the "40"), the G9 and, for comparison, the GX-100. It does take a lot of time to do the testing properly and I do appreciate Mitch's suggestion of patience. On any given day, I get lots of e-mails from people asking when X,Y or Z review will be ready. Some are interested in the small sensor camera results, some in the Summarits, some in the K-mount lenses, the E3, the D3, etc. All I can do is keep rolling and finish things when they're ready. I'm hoping to have the GR2 review ready by mind-January but we'll see. There are still about ten articles in draft right now.

In a nutshell, though, the 40 adapter is not disappointing just as the 21 was not disappointing.

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lili yes, it's nice to have options.

Nice shot! Really like it!

Taken with your GRD? What ISO was that?
    Player, thank you.
    It was with the GRD and the CV28 OVF
    ISO 64
    1/1320 sec f5 -0.7ev
    It was so brilliant that day I *needed* the OVF for more than half the shots.

Player

Thumbs up Re: Ricoh "40 mm" Adapter

Player, thank you.
    It was with the GRD and the CV28 OVF
    ISO 64
    1/1320 sec f5 -0.7ev
    It was so brilliant that day I *needed* the OVF for more than half the shots.
    Excellent Lili!

That's what's great about the GRDs: we have so many options, or work-arounds, for getting the picture, and not just VFs, but all the manual controls too. f5 looks great! Happy New Year!

Sean_Reid

I'm still doing various tests but, just in reviewing hundreds of pictures now, which were made with the "40", I can certainly say that it delivers high resolution. The size, form factor, etc. may not work well for everyone (the GR2 loses its pocket camera size when these various pieces are added to it) but I doubt that many would be disappointed with the optical quality of this add-on lens or the technical results it gives.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, Sean, for the update.

it looks like my store in Paris should be getting them in at the end of next week. he's already got the voigtlander 40mm VF in. after finally getting so used to shooting 28mm, i am really looking forward to this new challenge. my only quandary is which of my GRD's to put it on... suggestions?

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
    Sean:

When will u post some info on your 40mm analysis??

I have held off purchasing the GRD II and the 40 mm adapter until I get some more info.

Thanks.

Happy New Year to all.

Martin
    With any luck, my review of the GR II (with the GT-1 lens) may be finished in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Bravo.

I'm many of us, besides myself, are looking forward to your review.

Best wishes for the new Year.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Sean,

I'm another looking forward to your review. I already have a GRD II, but your review will help me understand and better use the camera.

I have the 40mm lens, and while I miss putting the GRD II in my pocket, and the lighter weight, it's still a pleasure to use with the added lens.

Best,

Mitchell

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    Sean,

I have the 40mm lens, and while I miss putting the GRD II in my pocket, and the lighter weight, it's still a pleasure to use with the added lens.

Mitchell
    I agree on both counts.

Best,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sean,
    I have seen and heard reports from some that the GT-40 is prone to flare.
    Have you seen any evidence of this?
    BTW having just recently used my GW-1 much more extensively with the GRD it is not nearly so much trouble to carry about as I originally thought.

Sean_Reid

Hi Lili,

Yes, I have and I mention that in the review. It's not surprising, really, for adding all that extra glass and it really comes only under certain conditions where one is shooting right into the light.

Cheers,

Sean

Mitch Alland

The 28mm wide-converter

Thanks, Sean, for the balanced statement: on a flickr GRD group this was presented as a major problem, which sounded silly to me. My experience with the 21mm wide-converter on the GRD was that it was not particularly flare-prone, and I would have expected the 30mm tele-converter to act in a similar way. You may be interested in the following two pictures taken in the same place around the same time at 4pm som months abart. The first is taken with the Leica-M 21mm ASPH, a lens of legendary quality, and the second is taken with the 21mm wide attachment on the GRD:

The Leica shot was, for me, an inspired one and shows that the 21ASPH, which is not flare-prone, can flare when the sun is directly in the frame; it also show that not all flare is bad because one can make the flare a part of ones aesthetic approach. This is a shot that I like a lot.

The hot with the 21mm converter shows the high quality of this lens. The sun, while very strong, is higher up and its direct line is blocked by the overpass and, hence, no flare.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Last edited by Mitch Alland; 10th January 2008 at 15:57.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch,
    That is exaclty my experience with the GW-1.
    Here is a shot using the adapter and no hood on my GRD in a fairly tough lighting

It can flare, but only under extreme provocation as seen here

I am VERY impressed with this add-on lens, if the GT-1 is anywhere near as good I want it.

BTW Sean, you're response is a does of reason amidst the frantic postings I've been seeing on flickr

Sean_Reid

Thanks Lili. I haven't seen the flickr debates. The only forums I check on regularly are getdpi and the LUF. More the former, lately, because frankly there's not much new going on with Leica right now (this fall will be another story).

To quote from my own review draft:

"The GT-1 can also show flare spots when shooting directly into the sun but, given that its an add-on lens, its actually impressive that it doesn't flare much more than it does. It's no small thing to add a whole new set of optical elements in front of an existing lens and a lesser optical design could tend to flare like the lights on a Christmas tree. It's also interesting the GR2 maintains much of its lens contrast even with the GT-1 mounted; veiling flare itself is fairly well controlled."

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    "The GT-1 can also show flare spots when shooting directly into the sun but, given that its an add-on lens, its actually impressive that it doesn't flare much more than it does. It's no small thing to add a whole new set of optical elements in front of an existing lens and a lesser optical design could tend to flare like the lights on a Christmas tree. It's also interesting the GR2 maintains much of its lens contrast even with the GT-1 mounted; veiling flare itself is fairly well controlled."
    Sean, I need to subscribe to your site.
    And s just realized to carry the GRD and the 40 and 21 is not so bulky as I thought, since both add-on lenses use the same GH-1 adapter so the only added bulk is just that of the gT-1 itself.
    The flickr stuff is not that bad, just some example shots and very little background.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, all to often Flickr can be an echo chamber for the shrillest doomsayers.

If one were to go by what is posted in Flickr forums, one would spend most of one's life dithering over a Canon Rebel XTi or a Nikon D40, both with a kit lens and devoted exclusively to an obsessive documentation of what you wore today.

infinia97

Hi everybody. I am new on this forum and would like to put my 2 cents in regarding the GT-1. I currently have the GW-1 and am thrilled with the contrast and edge to edge sharpness with virtually 0 flare problems. I thought I would try the GT-1 hoping it would be of the same quality. I must say this was NOT the case. This lens flared at the sight of any light! In the house, ceiling lights caused orange flares and loss of contrast in the lower corners. Outside, the bright open sky would cause the same flaring. Sunny day, any light in front or on the side caused the lens to flare in the lower corners. I notified the distributor of the problem and they promptly sent me another copy to test. The same thing I am sorry to say. Also, the outer 1/3rd of the images was out of focus even at f/6. I am not sure I got a hold of a couple bad copies, or just bad lens design. Again, the Wide angle gw-1 is truly amazing and I leave it on most of the time.

I welcome anyone else using this lens to let me know if it is just the two lenses I had, or this is how the lens is. I love my system and this focal length would definitely add to it.

cadmium red

a basic question from a beginner ...... now that I too have fallen in love with the grd2 and want the 40mm to put on it what viewfinder do I get to go with it? is there a conversion factor here? by the way I am enjoying the images that all of you are posting with this apparent little marvel...it's reminiscent of the works and effects that singer-sargent got from a few watercolor blocks and 1 brush....

Sean_Reid

Voigtlander 40 mm finder. See http://www.cameraquest.com

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Per tracking info, my GT-1 is in Dallas, outta see it here tomorrow.
    argh
    hate waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i'm dying to know what you think of it, Lili!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    i'm dying to know what you think of it, Lili!
    I will post some pics as soon as I get it

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My initial impressions of the GT-1.
    Huge. MUCH bigger (and heavier) than the GW-1. Enough so that I am very conscious of the chance of damaging the composite-material HA-1 hood adapter it is mounted on.
    It is right at the edge of being too much for the poor thing.
    Carrying the combination of GW-1, GT-1, and the HA-1 has demonstrated they take up as much or more space than a GX-100 would.
    And weigh more too.
    I have shot with it, but nothing yet I care to post.
    Will try that tonight.
    So far tho, the images are sharper than I expected, the contrast is high as well.
    Totally in keeping with Sean's review.
    My initial feeling is that if one simply had to have this range of focal lengths available all the time then you'd be far better served by getting a GX-100.
    The GRD's raison d'etre is superb quality in a tiny, light and fast machine, designed around a wonderful prime lens.
    The supplemental lenses do not make it a DSLR kit replacement.
    Nor should they.
    In particular the GW-1/HA-1 combination is light and easy to carry with one.
    And very useful as well for those occasions when you need to take in a bit more scene.
    THe GT-1/HA-1 are less convenient to carry.
    I cannot yet say if I will find carry the latter combination with my GRD is going to be as useful to me as the former.
    But to carry both really defeats the purpose of using a GRD.
    Last edited by Lili; 23rd January 2008 at 05:29.

Sean_Reid

But to carry both really defeats the purpose of using a GRD.
    As you know, that's kind of been my feeling. Once the GR II stops being a pocket camera, it loses a lot of its appeal for me. So, while the GT-1 works very well, the combination of GR2 and GT-1 is not something I personally would use much. At that size, I'd rather just carry an R-D1 or M8.

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    As you know, that's kind of been my feeling. Once the GR II stops being a pocket camera, it loses a lot of its appeal for me. So, while the GT-1 works very well, the combination of GR2 and GT-1 is not something I personally would use much. At that size, I'd rather just carry an R-D1 or M8.

Cheers,

Sean
    I quite agree Sean.
    It is a bit different with the GRD and GW-1, the 21mm lens is much smaller and lighter than the GT-1.
    Despite the combination being a bit bulkier than the GX-100 the image quality (sharpness, contrast and lack of barrell distortion) more than make up for it IMHO.
    I've not really used the GT-1 enough yet to really form a valid conclusion.
    I have it with me today and plan to give it a fair trial though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=Lili;7927]My initial impressions of the GT-1.
    Huge. MUCH bigger (and heavier) than the GW-1. Enough so that I am very conscious of the chance of damaging the composite-material HA-1 hood adapter it is mounted on.
    It is right at the edge of being too much for the poor thing.
    Carrying the combination of GW-1, GT-1, and the HA-1 has demonstrated they take up as much or more space than a GX-100 would. QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, Lili: I think I will pass on this.

Bertie

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Robert Campbell;8132]
    Thanks for the info, Lili: I think I will pass on this.

Bertie
    Bertie,
    It is not a bad lens at all, i just do not wish to carry the GRD and both lenses
    However I have been carrying the GT-1 and the GRD all this week and it is not so bad.
    Oddly enough, perhaps because the EFL is closer to that of my Hexar AF I have been shooting more B&W with it.
    I will try to post some tonight

A quick shot of the combo
    Last edited by Lili; 25th January 2008 at 13:20.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Dusty Bunny in Monochrome with GRD/GT-1

1/52 F2.8 iso 64 -7/10ev

I am pleased with the contrast of this image. Where it is sharp, it is very sharp. I think it wll make a nice informal portrait lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like that photo, Lili.

Those wings are hella cool.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    I really like that photo, Lili.

Those wings are hella cool.
    Thanks Maggie, they are a belt buckle left over for my Goth period.
    Not so very far past I'm afraid

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I had a goth period, too.

All the cool kids did!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I had a goth period, too.

All the cool kids did!
    Very true
    I was (and still am, truth be told) a Blonde Goth.
    My favorite jewelry is silver and garnet.
    Blood and silver.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ancient history.

SHHHH!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, envy you in SF.
    The scene there was great.
    Cool page, bookmarked it, will keep your secrets safe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, I'm in Lincoln, Nebraska now.

Some old pix of moi.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, I'm in Lincoln, Nebraska now.

Some old pix of moi.
    Nice shots
    Loved the story of the "Satan Date"
    I moved all the time growing up and for a while after that.
    I had to learn to find something to like about any place I was, having little choice in the matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and where was i during Goth??? oh, yeah, rock climbing.... i'm so jealous now that you gals have such colourful pasts whilst i was busy being smelly in the desert with boys. sheesh! Goth completely passed me by...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Cam, before I was goth-y, I was bicycle racer and worked in a bike and rock climbing shop.

Whoa, we're waaaay OT.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got the new GH-1 adapter, the GT-1 is far more stable on it.
    No play whatsoever.
    I think the old one, being bought used, is damaged.
    Feeling much better about the GT-1 now.
    Shooting with it exclusively today and Sunday
    Made with new adapter, trying for simialr composition to the 28mm color one, using 40mm

1/143 sec F4 ISO 100 -0.7 ev
    Last edited by Lili; 26th January 2008 at 12:50.