The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh "40 mm" Adapter

S

Sean_Reid

I just got an e-mail from Ricoh Japan that they're sending me the 40 adapter by Fedex so I may have it tomorrow and will then post some initial impressions.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

They Fedex'd it from Japan, so it should arrive today, but they forgot the connector piece so that should be here Monday.

Cheers,

Sean

Martin S

We're all counting on u Sean to give us your as usual unbiased opinion. I would expect that the adapter needs to be removed each time the camera is turned off. Also, how obstrusive is the assembly?? Does the camera lose some effectiveness as a stealthy street camera??

Thanks.

Martin

They Fedex'd it from Japan, so it should arrive today, but they forgot the connector piece so that should be here Monday.

Cheers,

Sean

C

Chuck A

I just got an e-mail from Ricoh Japan that they're sending me the 40 adapter by Fedex so I may have it tomorrow and will then post some initial impressions.

Cheers,

Sean
Sean,

I always look forward to your reviews. I have been looking for a high quality small sensor camera for a while. Most of them have fatal flaws. One of the most annoying is the lack of a RAW buffer. (I bought a Pan LC1 from you a long while back and loved the camera and it's output. I agree with you that the LC1 and the Digilux 2 have some of the best file quality in a small sensor camera. But the size and the 6 sec RAW write times were hard to get past.) I would look seriously at the GX100 but for the RAW write times.

Anyway, I really overlooked the GRD because of the 28mm lens. It is just too wide for my everyday use. But with the GRDII I am rethinking this. The RAW buffer and the addition of the 40mm adapter are exciting updates worth a look.

I look forward to your review and impressions of the adapter. I am hoping that lens quality and camera size and weight do not suffer too badly when using it. It would be on the GRDII most of the time for me.

Thanks,
Chuck A

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Chuck,

Thanks, I'm very glad to hear that. As you probably remember, that 6 second write time was the primary reason I sold that camera. Fedex tried to deliver the accessory lens today but missed me. I also need the mounting collar thing to arrive before I can try things out. But soon, hopefully. Christmas will be busy because we've got a lot of people coming - so scheduling any testing could be tricky.

I think an important thing to sort out is how the GR2, with and without the accessory lens, compares to the GX-100.

Best,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

We're all counting on u Sean to give us your as usual unbiased opinion. I would expect that the adapter needs to be removed each time the camera is turned off. Also, how obstrusive is the assembly?? Does the camera lose some effectiveness as a stealthy street camera??

Thanks.

Martin
Hi Martin,

I wouldn't think that it would need to be removed at all. I imagine it could stay on all the time if desired.

Cheers,

Sean

M

Mitch Alland

Martin:

I don't yet have the 40mm converter lens, but it works the same way as the 21mm one, which means that it can stay on the camera permanently if you wish, and, of course the camera can be switched on or off.

I think the "stealth" aspect is usually overstated: it's not that people don't see you photographing, it's that they don't you seriously with this camera; with the converter lens the camera is small enough that that doesn't change.

—Mitch/Bangkok

C

chris_tribble

Sean,

Anyway, I really overlooked the GRD because of the 28mm lens. It is just too wide for my everyday use. But with the GRDII I am rethinking this. The RAW buffer and the addition of the 40mm adapter are exciting updates worth a look.

Chuck A
Chuck - I've just realised through another discussion that the 28mm Ricoh FoV is radically different to the 28mm on a 35mm camera with its 3:2 ratio. IMO working with the Ricoh is much more like working with a 35mm on a rangefinder. Others who reject the Ricoh because it's "too wide" might like to look at the example shots on this post: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5368#post5368

Best

S

Sean_Reid

So when is FedEX overnight from Japan not really overnight? Apparently, during the holidays is when packages "absolutely, positively, reliably, maybe, kinda, sort of have to be there overnight". But after chasing my packages around since Friday I do now have all the pieces in place to test this "40" adapter. This morning I published my last article before my holiday vacation but I'll play with the 40 over the next couple of days, as time allows, and report back. Testing, in earnest, will start after the holidays.

We have a four year old and a 12 year old and then lots of guests are coming - should be an exciting couple of days.

Cheers,

Sean

Lili

I will call Popflash and see if they actually have any, their site says they will be available after 12/21....

P

Player

Hi folks, first time posting here. Love the GRD2!

I've actually had my 40mm x1.43 converter since last Friday, from Adorama. I haven't used it yet because I'm waiting for a VL VF, but a couple observations:

It does make the camera bulkier, and it's not really pocketable, but it's still a really small compact setup, and the converter and adapter adds a considerable amount of weight. One minor negative is that the lens cap seems pretty loose. It doesn't fall off when the camera is tipped down, but it doesn't take much to knock it off.

I think the best bet is to use a neck strap and carry the camera that way. It does make me wonder, however, why I'm not just carrying my D80, but the GRD2 40mm setup is way lighter and smaller.

Lili

Player,
Understood about the bulk factor.
I have that issue with GW-1 21mm adapter on my GRD.
I love the results but it is a bit of a pain to carry about separately or attched.
The small form factor and fast response are a big part of why I carry my GRD.
With the HA-1 and with either lens adapter is gonna be far more bulky (if only marginally heavier).
Even with both lens adapters the whole kit is still smaller than my K100D and the 18-55mm kit lens however.
Sigh.
Part of me says to stay with the "Razor" only, part wants the 40mm and another, greedy part, says "get the GX100".
Decisions, decisions.
^_^

Last edited:
P

Player

Hi Lili,

I sympathize, it's tough finding a gear setup that you're 100% comfortable and satisfied with. The GRD2 is a terrific carry-anywhere camera with the 28mm lens, but throw on a converter lens and the equation changes.

If I had my druthers, I'd rather the GRD2 came with a standard 40mm lens, and 21 and 28mm converters, but I'm not complaining. A website, The Online Photographer I think, did a survey of photographer's favorite focal lengths for a compact camera, and it was about 72% in favor of a 35-40mm (equivalent 35mm) focal length. I wonder if Ricoh ever conducted similar research? It's still a great camera though. Nice talking to you!

C

Chuck A

Player,
Understood about the bulk factor.
I have that issue with GW-1 21mm adapter on my GRD.
I love the results but it is a bit of a pain to carry about separately or attched.
The small form factor and fast response are a big part of why I carry my GRD.
With the HA-1 and with either lens adapter is gonna be far more bulky (if only marginally heavier).
Even with both lens adapters the whole kit is still smaller than my K100D and the 18-55mm kit lens however.
Sigh.
Part of me says to stay with the "Razor" only, part wants the 40mm and another, greedy part, says "get the GX100".
Decisions, decisions.
^_^
I know what you mean. I am trying to decide between the GX100 and the GRDII. Like I said before I am concerned about the wide lens on the GRDII. The 40mm converter sound great in theory but in practice it may not be the best solution.

I am drawn to the comments about the GRDII lens being sharper with better contrast. I just can't get away from the 28mm FOV though. Even if it is a bit narrower than a SLR 28mm FOV. The GX100 has the 24-72mm which intrigues me for its usefulness. The RAW buffer on the GRDII is also a great plus. I will have to wait for Sean's comparison review. The more I read in these threads the more I bounce back and forth.

When the GX100 first came out I was not very impressed with the output I was seeing. But I was really just looking at reviews from Dpreview and the like. After seeing some results from the better photographers I see what it can do. I would love to see these cameras in person but I live in the boonies and have a long drive to even hope to see one. Actually I would love to see some of the results in person as well. Those from Mitch and others. This will be a camera that I will shoot with often and I have to be able to produce files that will print professionally. Mostly for sale.

Thanks,
Chuck A
www.pbase.com/candrask

K

Kuro

Hi,

I am very interested in the GRDII and 40mm lens adapter.

It seems to me that the 40mm with the 1:1 frame would be very close to a 50/2.4 lens setup on the GRDII. Take off the adapter lens and use the 28mm with 1:1 frame and it would be like a 35/2.4. What a great little camera! Btw, I love the 1:1. ;)

M

Mitch Alland

...A website, The Online Photographer I think, did a survey of photographer's favorite focal lengths for a compact camera, and it was about 72% in favor of a 35-40mm (equivalent 35mm) focal length. I wonder if Ricoh ever conducted similar research? It's still a great camera though...
Keep in mind that Ricoh had great success with the GR1 (28mm) and GR21 (21mm) 35mm film cameras that sld extremely well in Japan. The GRD and GRD2 are the digital versions of those cameras, and have also been very well received in Japan.

The trouble with surveys like that of The Online Photographer is that it measures the preferences of what people think they want based, obviously, on what people have had experience with: before I bought my GRD in July 2006 I had used a 28mm lens on the Leica M6 no more than for a dozen pictures and was using 50mm lenses about 80-90% of the time. When I got my GRD I thought that it would be difficult to use — it was initially — but I persevered because I knew that Moriyama Daida, a great Japanese photographer that I admire, used the GR1 and GR21 almost exclusively. After a while I found that I could get pictures with the 28mm EFOV of the GRD quite easily and began to like it, but, from time to time, I missed a 50mm lens. That's why I bought the GX100 at the end of August. But when I review pictures I've shot with the GX100 since then I find that I've been using the 28mm EFOV for more than 80% of the pictures. So it looks like even one's own assumptions about the focal length one wants or needs can be wrong, as can be the type of survey referred to above.

Sometimes manufacturers need to lead rather than follow the market to have a successful product. As an aside, companies that have been production-oriented and then do extensive market research often make mistake that almost bankrupt them, which is the example of Leica with the M5: they thought that the market wanted the best in-camera meter and produced a camera that the market thought was "clunky" and that did not have the gestalt that the market wanted from a Leica-M. An ever better example is that of Volkswagen in the late-1960's, when they produced the "Type 4", a compact-car sized four-dour vehicle with an air-cooled rear engine: a complete dud, it almost bankrupted VW. A production- rather than market-driven company, VW thought that it was in the business of making cars with air-cooled rear engines, not realising that what the market wanted from them then was highly economic and highly reliable cars, at a time when all other cars were a lot less reliable than automobiles are now.

—Mitch/Huahin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/