The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh "40 mm" Adapter

Martin S

Thanks Mitch. I realize that Sean's evaluations are time consuming, and extensive. I have no problem waiting. His testing will compare the GX-100, GRD 2D, and the Canon G9 (as a comparative). This is an excellent way to really evaluate the GR 2D.

I am sure that it will be worth the wait.

Martin

S

Sean_Reid

I'm back in southern VT now and tomorrow I'll begin much of the formal testing of the GR2 (with and without the "40"), the G9 and, for comparison, the GX-100. It does take a lot of time to do the testing properly and I do appreciate Mitch's suggestion of patience. On any given day, I get lots of e-mails from people asking when X,Y or Z review will be ready. Some are interested in the small sensor camera results, some in the Summarits, some in the K-mount lenses, the E3, the D3, etc. All I can do is keep rolling and finish things when they're ready. I'm hoping to have the GR2 review ready by mind-January but we'll see. There are still about ten articles in draft right now.

In a nutshell, though, the 40 adapter is not disappointing just as the 21 was not disappointing.

Cheers,

Sean

Lili

Lili yes, it's nice to have options. :cool:

Nice shot! Really like it!

Taken with your GRD? What ISO was that?
Player, thank you.
It was with the GRD and the CV28 OVF
ISO 64
1/1320 sec f5 -0.7ev
It was so brilliant that day I *needed* the OVF for more than half the shots.

P

Player

Player, thank you.
It was with the GRD and the CV28 OVF
ISO 64
1/1320 sec f5 -0.7ev
It was so brilliant that day I *needed* the OVF for more than half the shots.
Excellent Lili!

That's what's great about the GRDs: we have so many options, or work-arounds, for getting the picture, and not just VFs, but all the manual controls too. f5 looks great! Happy New Year!

S

Sean_Reid

I'm still doing various tests but, just in reviewing hundreds of pictures now, which were made with the "40", I can certainly say that it delivers high resolution. The size, form factor, etc. may not work well for everyone (the GR2 loses its pocket camera size when these various pieces are added to it) but I doubt that many would be disappointed with the optical quality of this add-on lens or the technical results it gives.

Cheers,

Sean

cam

thank you, Sean, for the update.

it looks like my store in Paris should be getting them in at the end of next week. he's already got the voigtlander 40mm VF in. after finally getting so used to shooting 28mm, i am really looking forward to this new challenge. my only quandary is which of my GRD's to put it on... suggestions?

S

Sean_Reid

Sean:

When will u post some info on your 40mm analysis??

I have held off purchasing the GRD II and the 40 mm adapter until I get some more info.

Thanks.

Happy New Year to all.

Martin
With any luck, my review of the GR II (with the GT-1 lens) may be finished in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Sean

Martin S

Bravo.

I'm many of us, besides myself, are looking forward to your review.

Best wishes for the new Year.

Martin

Mitchell

Sean,

I'm another looking forward to your review. I already have a GRD II, but your review will help me understand and better use the camera.

I have the 40mm lens, and while I miss putting the GRD II in my pocket, and the lighter weight, it's still a pleasure to use with the added lens.

Best,

Mitchell

S

Sean_Reid

Sean,

I have the 40mm lens, and while I miss putting the GRD II in my pocket, and the lighter weight, it's still a pleasure to use with the added lens.

Mitchell
I agree on both counts.

Best,

Sean

Lili

Sean,
I have seen and heard reports from some that the GT-40 is prone to flare.
Have you seen any evidence of this?
BTW having just recently used my GW-1 much more extensively with the GRD it is not nearly so much trouble to carry about as I originally thought.

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Lili,

Yes, I have and I mention that in the review. It's not surprising, really, for adding all that extra glass and it really comes only under certain conditions where one is shooting right into the light.

Cheers,

Sean

M

Mitch Alland

The 28mm wide-converter

Thanks, Sean, for the balanced statement: on a flickr GRD group this was presented as a major problem, which sounded silly to me. My experience with the 21mm wide-converter on the GRD was that it was not particularly flare-prone, and I would have expected the 30mm tele-converter to act in a similar way. You may be interested in the following two pictures taken in the same place around the same time at 4pm som months abart. The first is taken with the Leica-M 21mm ASPH, a lens of legendary quality, and the second is taken with the 21mm wide attachment on the GRD:

The Leica shot was, for me, an inspired one and shows that the 21ASPH, which is not flare-prone, can flare when the sun is directly in the frame; it also show that not all flare is bad because one can make the flare a part of ones aesthetic approach. This is a shot that I like a lot.

The hot with the 21mm converter shows the high quality of this lens. The sun, while very strong, is higher up and its direct line is blocked by the overpass and, hence, no flare.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Last edited:

Lili

Mitch,
That is exaclty my experience with the GW-1.
Here is a shot using the adapter and no hood on my GRD in a fairly tough lighting

It can flare, but only under extreme provocation as seen here

I am VERY impressed with this add-on lens, if the GT-1 is anywhere near as good I want it.

BTW Sean, you're response is a does of reason amidst the frantic postings I've been seeing on flickr :)

S

Sean_Reid

Thanks Lili. I haven't seen the flickr debates. The only forums I check on regularly are getdpi and the LUF. More the former, lately, because frankly there's not much new going on with Leica right now (this fall will be another story).

To quote from my own review draft:

"The GT-1 can also show flare spots when shooting directly into the sun but, given that its an add-on lens, its actually impressive that it doesn't flare much more than it does. It's no small thing to add a whole new set of optical elements in front of an existing lens and a lesser optical design could tend to flare like the lights on a Christmas tree. It's also interesting the GR2 maintains much of its lens contrast even with the GT-1 mounted; veiling flare itself is fairly well controlled."

Cheers,

Sean

Lili

"The GT-1 can also show flare spots when shooting directly into the sun but, given that its an add-on lens, its actually impressive that it doesn't flare much more than it does. It's no small thing to add a whole new set of optical elements in front of an existing lens and a lesser optical design could tend to flare like the lights on a Christmas tree. It's also interesting the GR2 maintains much of its lens contrast even with the GT-1 mounted; veiling flare itself is fairly well controlled."
Sean, I need to subscribe to your site.
And s just realized to carry the GRD and the 40 and 21 is not so bulky as I thought, since both add-on lenses use the same GH-1 adapter so the only added bulk is just that of the gT-1 itself.
The flickr stuff is not that bad, just some example shots and very little background.

Maggie O

In my experience, all to often Flickr can be an echo chamber for the shrillest doomsayers.

If one were to go by what is posted in Flickr forums, one would spend most of one's life dithering over a Canon Rebel XTi or a Nikon D40, both with a kit lens and devoted exclusively to an obsessive documentation of what you wore today.

I

infinia97

Hi everybody. I am new on this forum and would like to put my 2 cents in regarding the GT-1. I currently have the GW-1 and am thrilled with the contrast and edge to edge sharpness with virtually 0 flare problems. I thought I would try the GT-1 hoping it would be of the same quality. I must say this was NOT the case. This lens flared at the sight of any light! In the house, ceiling lights caused orange flares and loss of contrast in the lower corners. Outside, the bright open sky would cause the same flaring. Sunny day, any light in front or on the side caused the lens to flare in the lower corners. I notified the distributor of the problem and they promptly sent me another copy to test. The same thing I am sorry to say. Also, the outer 1/3rd of the images was out of focus even at f/6. I am not sure I got a hold of a couple bad copies, or just bad lens design. Again, the Wide angle gw-1 is truly amazing and I leave it on most of the time.

I welcome anyone else using this lens to let me know if it is just the two lenses I had, or this is how the lens is. I love my system and this focal length would definitely add to it.

C

cadmium red

a basic question from a beginner ...... now that I too have fallen in love with the grd2 and want the 40mm to put on it what viewfinder do I get to go with it? is there a conversion factor here? by the way I am enjoying the images that all of you are posting with this apparent little marvel...it's reminiscent of the works and effects that singer-sargent got from a few watercolor blocks and 1 brush....