The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX3 Manual Focus and Custom Setting Question

Mikec

I am unable to save my manual focus distance using the custom setting. It appears to me that every time I turn on the camera, the manual focus distance is reset back to infinity. :confused:

For LX3 users, are you able to save the manual focus distance? If so, can you share your steps in detail please?

I wonder why GRD II usability features aren't implemented in more cameras. I love how the GRD II remembers manual focus distance (even with the LCD screen off).

Mikec

I am currently using the LX3 24mm viewfinder and I like it a lot. I can't wait to hear about your discovery.

For now, I am just setting the manual focus distance each time. It's not a big deal, but the convenience of having it remembered in the custom setting is nice.

Michael S

Mike -- Remembering our discussion of the G10 manual focus problems, I'm beginning to think it must be you.:grin:

Mikec

I am waiting for someone to show me the way. :thumbup:

LX3 screen can be off while in manual focus.
G10 cannot. :(

Control-wise, GRD II and GX-200 are the best for my use. I like to use optical viewfinders, manual focus, LCD screen off, B&W. DP-1 is pretty good in this case as well.

A

asabet

I don't think there is a way to store the manual focus distance. Like you, I set the distance when I turn the camera on, turn off the LCD, and leave it that way. I also tap the zoom button three times to get the best correlation with my 28mm viewfinder, and it won't store that zoom setting either.

There are some things Panasonic could learn from Ricoh!

Mikec

I do enjoy using the LX3 a lot. The RAW write time is fast enough for me that I don't even notice it. The fast lens is great. The sensor looks to be best in its class to my eyes.

Dynamic B&W jpeg is a lot of fun too!

C

cabo

I find it easiest to set the camera to MF, aim at something at an appropriate distance and just press the 'Focus' button near the shutter release. Actually that's the same way I use AF on my Nikon DSLRs ('AF-ON' button activation of the AF) as I don't want the camera to hunt for focus every time I press the shutter release.

Carsten

Mikec

Yes, that is definitely another feature that makes the LX3 fun to shoot with.

If the next firmware update adds the following, it would be great.
- Save manual focus distance with custom setting
- Save focal length with custom setting

Many of the latest small sensor cameras have their strengths. It would be awesome to see these features get implemented by more cameras.

GX-200/GRD II
- Comfortable gripping surface
- Ability to save manual focus distance and focal length in custom setting
- Wide lens
- Step zoom

G10
- ISO control
- Exposure compensation control
- Quick switch-on to ready for capture
- Focus button

LX3
- Fast lens