The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD4 Street Images

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Knock, knock.... Oh my I thought...UPS is here. I saw that look on Tanya's face. Tanya of course is my Russian Wife. I love her, I really do and she tells me that I do every day but...when it comes to cameras, we have a slightly different opinion. Her opinion is of course, I have have too many, meaning more then 1. My opinion is that no matter how many I have, I'm always 1 short. I know no one else here feels that way but I sure do.
So, my opinion won out his time...and here's a few from the White GRD4.

Market East by streetshooter.us, on Flickr

Phila, Pa by streetshooter.us, on Flickr

06-12-0045-Edit-Edit.jpg by streetshooter.us, on Flickr

06-12-0071-Edit-Edit.jpg by streetshooter.us, on Flickr

06-12-0083-Edit.jpg by streetshooter.us, on Flickr

06-12-0086-Edit.jpg by streetshooter.us, on Flickr

marlof

The first one appeals to me a lot. The smoker looks a bit surprised, and the smiler in the image on the bus saw it coming...

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
OK, this may have tipped me over the top :mad:

I keep looking at my unused GRD2 and have oftened wondered. Is this like a breath of fresh air after the GXR? Your opinion may cost me money :D

Keith

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Keith, I adore my GXR's but there is a new found freedom with the GRD4.
It's not my first affair with the GRD but it's the first time I have committed to being serious with it....
Don

Thorkil

...and I guess I have to ask Sean Reid to compare the RX100 with the GRD IV as fast as possible
thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
...and I guess I have to ask Sean Reid to compare the RX100 with the GRD IV as fast as possible
thorkil

It is impossible to compare these two camera against each other. Even Reid can't make the GRD4 change focal lengths.

So the comparison has just been made and you got away cheap.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
The Sony RX thing will blow over quickly. The GRD legend will never go away.

A white one arrives today from B & H.

Didn't realize the deal you could get on white ($450.) That was enough to do it.

Keith

Last edited:

Thorkil

Keith, I have a week spot for Ricoh too, considering the GXR.
Sean Reid has it too it seems, also for the GRD
And a RX100 would service at 28mm nearly all the time, unless I would take a detail at a roof.
But must admit the IQ seems ok at the RX, but the userfriendly functions and snapshot and perhaps some more Leica-like feeling of a Ricoh might be the tempting point.
Perhaps a Sony will be left on the shelf just like the Panasonic's of mine.
It has also much to do with the mental connections you build up with your camera.
Thorkil

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
"The Sony RX thing will blow over quickly."Keith[/QUOTE]

Meet me in Laredo at high noon and bring a shooter with you!:D

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Keith, I have a week spot for Ricoh too, considering the GXR.
. . .
It has also much to do with the mental connections you build up with your camera.
Thorkil
I agree.

To me, the camera should get out of the way - it's a tool for the user to capture (not record) what he or she sees in their brain.
My Sony cameras (Nex) never got out of the way. That's why only the 5n is left. And that's for legacy lens reasons.

I took out my white GRD today and felt right at home. My GRD II goes off to a young photographer friend tomorrow.

Keith

Thorkil

I agree.

To me, the camera should get out of the way - it's a tool for the user to capture (not record) what he or she sees in their brain.
My Sony cameras (Nex) never got out of the way. That's why only the 5n is left. And that's for legacy lens reasons.

I took out my white GRD today and felt right at home. My GRD II goes off to a young photographer friend tomorrow.

Keith
Yes, a sort of extension of your mind and your right arm. I allways had that feeling with my M6, and my Hassy SWC, never got it with my Panasonic's, Canons powershots etc., only got it a tiny bit with the Nikons D3 and even less now the D800E, where I'm dissapointed with the IQ, shallow DOF, and IQ is way better with the GXR, even though I'm not feeling more than 85% connected with the GXR (but that might be a lot though after all) and I use it the most. The GXR and perhaps a GRD IV, by the wisdomwords, less is more, might do the job, for the mind and soul.
Thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Ps, to Don, those pics looks really good, just very M6-film-like.
Thorkil
Thanks, actually when I was a real photographer doing film, I used a few M4's but....I had a pair of M'6's that I just adored. That's probably what your seeing. That M6 stuff is still in my head, it just comes out digitally....
Yeah, yeah....I took my meds....

A few recent....

08-12-0047-Edit.jpg by streetshooter.us, on Flickr

08-12-0065-Edit.jpg by streetshooter.us, on Flickr

08-12-0071-Edit.jpg by streetshooter.us, on Flickr

08-12-0074-Edit.jpg by streetshooter.us, on Flickr

Thorkil

:)...splendid pictures!, and wonderful with that sort of hasty and anarchistic feeling in them, they are just hitting one!.
Thorkil

Thorkil

It is impossible to compare these two camera against each other. Even Reid can't make the GRD4 change focal lengths.

So the comparison has just been made and you got away cheap.
By the way:
Sean please allow me to bring your answer:
"Hi Thorkil,
Perhaps, but with no eye level finder (and no hotshoe for an external finder) it gets lower priority here. I'm not yet sure if the hype is justified.
Cheers"
Looking at your pic's I'm perhaps convinced that a RX would end as the Panasonic's = collecting dust, and the more "primitive"/dedicated GRD IV might be the case, but black it will be...
thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
By the way:
Sean please allow me to bring your answer:
"Hi Thorkil,
Perhaps, but with no eye level finder (and no hotshoe for an external finder) it gets lower priority here. I'm not yet sure if the hype is justified.
Cheers"
Looking at your pic's I'm perhaps convinced that a RX would end as the Panasonic's = collecting dust, and the more "primitive"/dedicated GRD IV might be the case, but black it will be...
thorkil
His thoughts don't exist for me. I make my own thoughts and entertain the thoughts of other shooters that I respect. Many be the case.

You either understand a screen in time and space or you don't.
If you get the GRD4, you will understand my statement, you may get it anyway but then, you'll get the GRD4.
Good luck in your quest and thanks for the attention to my work, much appreciated.

Thorkil

If you get the GRD4, you will understand my statement, you may get it anyway but then, you'll get the GRD4.
Good luck in your quest and thanks for the attention to my work, much appreciated.
..that I'll do..:rolleyes:
its funny with pictures, the way they tell something and don't...thinking of the way they appeal to your inner soul or rather ones mental condition, some pictures just reach the surface others are hitter deaper and hitting the mood, some spot on, and without knowing it, you are smiling...yours in that leque..
I'll give the GRD IV a try
(and might sell the D800E by the way)
Thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Thanks.... I think you will find some images the GRD4 will help to bring to light. It's very good for that. I anxiously await seeing what you see.....

Thorkil

dont expect anything..and can't find the right way for proper posting, so we will see, might take some time..
and have to ask you for some hint, do you zone-focus?, 8? and use snap-setting with preset at 2 m at most or?, so its just buttom down, when mind is up?
until then..
thorkil