The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD4 Street Images

jtwloh

I have been thinking for a very long time of getting a more "serious" camera like the Fuji TX-1 or Sony A7 or even an RX100Mk3 to replace my GRD4, as the shooting range of only a 28mm can be quite limiting.

However, what I first thought to be "limiting" factor has often time turned out to be "liberating" as far as photographic tool is concern. Carrying one camera with a fixed focal range does simplify the decision making process of taking a shot (at least for me).

River cruise along Malacca River
by Justin Loh, on Flickr

Last edited:

tbhv55

I have been thinking for a very long time of getting a more "serious" camera like the Fuji TX-1 or Sony A7 or even an RX100Mk3 to replace my GRD4, as the shooting range of only a 28mm can be quite limiting.

However, what I first thought to be "limiting" factor has often time turned out to be "liberating" as far as photographic tool is concern. Carrying one camera with a fixed focal range does simplify the decision making process of taking a shot (at least for me).
Whilst the X-T1, the A7, and the RX100 Mk3 are very capable cameras, it looks to me as though there's absolutely nothing wrong with your GRD4...! ;)
Why replace it, if it suits your way of shooting, and produces excellent results? The Ricoh range certainly includes some fine equipment, and I might get one, yet! :)

jtwloh

Thanks for the wake up call.
Don, your street shots are always inspiring.

Whilst the X-T1, the A7, and the RX100 Mk3 are very capable cameras, it looks to me as though there's absolutely nothing wrong with your GRD4...! ;)
Why replace it, if it suits your way of shooting, and produces excellent results? The Ricoh range certainly includes some fine equipment, and I might get one, yet! :)
True. I suppose I do contract G.A.S virus once in a while....:facesmack:
The price of a new Ricoh GR has come down slightly, worth considering if you are into a compact 28mm.

jtwloh

Morning market in Malaysia. I do not usually have much to buy from the morning market, but it is just fascinating to see the food stuff, daily groceries, sundry stuff on display.

Penang morning market 2

Last edited:

jtwloh

Just a thought on the subject of depth of field from the few photos (Street riders series and Penang market) that I just posted above.

I must say that I always marvel or even drool at shots with shallow DOF, of how it can separate/isolate the subject from the background, etc. Adoring the smooth transition from sharpness/details to blurry/buttery texture.

However, I noticed from my above shots how the background details are important to form the context of the photographer's intent. The outcome MIGHT have been different were I to use a different tool (large sensor camera + large aperture lense combination).

While I am not beating down one system by singing the praises of the other here. Just a thought that small sensor camera does have its advantage when it comes to street shooting. :thumbs: