The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia 808 PureView - unboxing

Stefan Steib

Terry

this is a normal price - in Germany the Phone costs 499-530 € in the shops, by a factor of 1,25 and transport costs this is what it ought to cost.
It´s because Nokia does not sponsor the price in the US and probably a normal importer just makes a working margin.
The fact that many goods are 25 % cheaper in the US is due to the subventioning that many european vendors do pulling down € prices to the exact same amont in $. And vice versa we pay the same amount in € for stuff that is made and sold in the US in $ e.g. Apple costs exactly the same in € in the Apple store in Germany than what you pay in Apple´s US Store in $.
We are the colonies and only once in a while you see how we feel about it.

Regards
Stefan

S

steffin

yeah !!
Its really unboxing i,too had gone through this model of nokia's phone as my friend has bought this last week,its imaging quality is too good that pictures seems original.:)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I use a 13" MacBook Air (max. specs; i7 chip) alongside the last 15" MacBook Pro, quadcore, also max specs re. chip speed, RAM, and SSD. Testing on geekbench.com. the MBP 4-core scores 10,300; the tiny MBA scores 7,600. And today I edited my first HD video on the MBA, using the Thunderbolt port for the 30" Cinema Display, and a LaCie Rugged USB3 for the HD video footage. I edit in Final Cut Pro, latest version.

Point is that this is the first time a truly portable editing suite has been possible. I am with Terry here: all the high-tech people I know are moving to MBAs, and are as delighted with them as I am. Think about this: with the GX1 and three tiny lenses and the MBA + the USB3 drive, I am on the road fully equipped and able to shoot and edit HD video, and it's a featherweight kit.

And the same setup works perfectly for stills, too.

@ Stefan: I will be waiting to see what the iPhone 5 looks like (I want a bigger screen; I have just the iPhone 4 now); and I may jump to the Samsung Galaxy III if the new iPhone does not have a bigger screen.

As an aside, I honestly do not care what any technology costs IF it does the job. I am on the road most of the time, and portability matters as a result. The new top-spec MBA is a killer computer, and weighs nothing. And something that no reviewers I have seen have mentioned is that the new Airs (I had both of the earlier incarnations) have coatings on the screen that WORK: you can use them in airports. Not quite as good as the MBP's matte screen, but very close (and easier to clean!).

mazor

I got one ;) It's simply amazing. use full resolution 38mp about to iso 200, or pureview 8mp with no zoom up to iso 800 and get amazing results. Iso 1600 use only for casual snaps. any shots above iso 200 for full res is basically unusable, and the noise reduction will kill the resolution advantage here, so use pureview 8mp pixel bin modes.

Also note any shots taken iso 800 or 1600 on the nokia 808 has blue noise amplification issues on the right side of the sensor. Images can be fixed to a degree by warming color temperature and tint on the right side of the image.

mazor

nice shot Stefan Steib.

One question is what other things really cute does camera one pro do except for the full 41mp sensor usage?

I knoe the prefocus once feature is nice for studio style shooting on same subject.

mazor

true true, but the default camera app does bracketing, and also the zoom in full res mode would be lossy?

Like the idea in camera pro's ability to choose jpg compression quality, and also audio recording quality and video bitrates for recordings.

here is a pureview sample taken with default app 38mp

808 Photo album by Bigley.ling

amazing IQ, click further in to see and download the full res image

Wow, besides the obvious jpeg compression and odd noise texture, you could've resized this to 21mp and fooled me that it was a high-ISO shot from a 5D2. Too bad the phone aspect looks like it's 5 years out of date, I guess this is more like a camera that you can also make calls with.

Considering the size of the sensor, it's amazing that there is almost no CA what so ever in the corners, I guess that Zeiss glass really helps; all 6 of the glass elements are aspherical and bound as a single element with a fixed aperture that is just at the diffraction limit for the the 41mp sensor. A very impressive design.

mazor

One has to wonder though with android, could it handle processing 41mp real time to generate the excellent lower res pureview images, plus lossless zoom. It seems the 808 has dedicated purpose designed processors linked to the Symbian OS to handle this.

Combine this with completely lossless and seemless 6x digital zoom for 720p video recording (it can do 1080p but for my uses no need) and amazing rich stereo recording, no other phone capturing device can even come close.

Hehe... to ruin the pure clean image you just captured, right? Stylishly arranged garbage still stinks.

What would be amazing is if someone found a way to get the camera to output raw data (to DNG for example), I could even live with SyOS if it did, because as I said, it would be a camera that can also make calls for me then.

Stefan Steib

Instagram has lost now over 65 % of their userbase since they have announced to use the images of their users for free ! Although they tried to sooth the waves with some announcements this will probably kill them.
Facebook had bought them recently and probably thought this to make a new cash cow ...? Incredible stupidity paired with arrogance and management failure.......

regards
Stefan

OlliL

Ok, ok...does it run vsco cam? :D

Nevermind, the 808 is surely a great cameras and I won't argue against it.
The only reason I went with Android is, that I can easily sync it with my personal cloud service. Considering only the camer, it would have been a no-brainer.

mazor

OlliL, sadly I see no instagram, although I have never really been into that kind of photography, some may require it.

The 808 is designed at users that want the convenience of descent stills and video camera with the ability to use for phone calls, txt, some internet apps like skype and whatsapp, and simple web surfing.

OlliL

That wasn't completely serious tbh!
I do believe, that Nokia produced a descend phone, that's out of question, but I became so accustomed to several apps (not Instagram particularly, I used that as an example of a well known app) that I decided to stick with Android.
Just one example: I use a Pogoplug for backup of all my data and they don't offer an app for Symbian.

Back to the PureView, I'd love to see more shots from it! :)