Post Thanks / Like

Nokia 808 PureView - unboxing

First retail unit anywhere in the world, I am led to believe

https://vimeo.com/43596717

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nokia 808 PureView - unboxing

Too bad we won't see these in the US. Would love to try out the camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    First retail unit anywhere in the world, I am led to believe

https://vimeo.com/43596717
    Nice, would love to see some sample pics from it!

I have to wait another few weeks before it is available here. Yeah, I am getting one! My first "smart" phone.

Post Thanks / Like

US will have to wait for a Lumia version hehe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    US will have to wait for a Lumia version hehe
    If they were smart they would be rushing to get that done. It is a differentiator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As much as it tempting to get one right now, I think I will hold my breath and wait til the end of the year, where it is rumored to have the same camera module in a Windows 8 mobile device. This is probably the moment when I will dump my iPhone 4.

regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are you sure the iphone5 won't be on the horizon by then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It´s all about the camera Vivek.Apple will not have a Zoom and definitley not a 41 Mpix large chip as the Nokia.

As much as I like the Apple stuff, I had some negative experiences lately. My Ex wifes iPhone 4s was a real pain to actvate, I don´t want to be forced to the cloud against my will and I think the phone part was also never like I wished it to be. My Display is having a large orange spot now after 1,5 years of usage (luckily I have also bought an apple care for this- but hey- is this normal that all Apple products break and I need to have an extra payment to cover this ?)

Also I believe the price is simply to high. And after 2 years of trying + using hundreds of apps there will stay only some few that I really need.

And further I am waiting what Apple will do with the MacBookPro 17.
    If a new version (if there is any!) will be a fusion of Macbook air and Ipad I´m gone.

There are nice deskktop replacement PC Laptops now e.g. Asus with 32 Gigs of ram, 3,5 TB of diskspace (3TB on 3,5"-second on SSD512) and 18,4 " of Highquality screen for under 2000 €. Sorry - but if I ramp up a current 17MBPro I will end in the 3500 € range with less punch and only a quarter of storage ?

Apple will sell a lot of phones and ipads in the future. I am not sure they will be a home for professional hard and software anymore.

Maybe I´ll get an iPad for the money I save to do all the stuff I won´t use my Laptop then. So isn´t this what Apple wants us to do ?

Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stefan - I work in an office full of software engineers. There isn't one 17" laptop in our office. Mostly everyone has gravitated to MacBook Airs with a couple of 12" MBPs and only a couple 15". Most all prefer this with and external monitor vs. huge laptop to lug around.

Don't count on the iPhone 5 not improving further on the camera side of things. I think it is pretty obvious that Apple likes the fact that the iPhone is the number one camera on Flickr and in my opinion they do aim to fully replace many cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry -

I´m travelling so much- I cannot keep a large Monitor in sight . And - the thinner Macbook airs are even more expensive with less power to do a lot of imaging. This maybe ok for software engineers, but for me shuffling around hundreds and thousands of 40-80 Mpix images on locations and on demos this is no option.

And I really don´t care about the mass of people, I want a zoom in my phone camera.

regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

agree with you Stefan Steib with regards to zoom capability. Apple is usually a few generations slow at mastering technology, so best bets apple will have maybe a 20mp edition theoretically and have a 2x zoom 10mp image using similar technology possibly for a 5gs iphone.

even today nokia n8's over two year old phone tech 12mp camera is still superior to Apples 4gs....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gerald

did you try some more stuff in the meantime ?
    How is the Dolby® Headphone sound ?
    And how is voice and reception quality ?

TIA
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Stefan -

I haven't really had a chance to test it out much yet.

As a phone, it's fine.
    As a smartphone, it's awful.
    As a camera, I have still have to test it fully

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mazor

I firmly believe Nokia will come back strongly ! OK this symbian OS for the N808 may not be the first choice, but as soon as they get windows mobile 8 this may completely change. ThePureview technology is planned to go into many more models maybe with smaller res but at the moment this is a technological stake and an exclusive feature.
    And no matter what Apple will come up with- I´m sorry but the visionary is gone, Apple is now only a normal company with a strong historical setup built by Steve Jobs, I am waiting to see any surprise to proof me wrong.

I know I´m also to be impressed by design (ah, if it only was not THAT ugly), but actually when I use it I do not look to the design anymore, that´s more a buying decison "helper".

Curious on more details Gerald, you are probably one of the first people worldwide, so now you will have us asking you !

Regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Stefan - I work in an office full of software engineers. There isn't one 17" laptop in our office. Mostly everyone has gravitated to MacBook Airs with a couple of 12" MBPs and only a couple 15". Most all prefer this with and external monitor vs. huge laptop to lug around.

Don't count on the iPhone 5 not improving further on the camera side of things. I think it is pretty obvious that Apple likes the fact that the iPhone is the number one camera on Flickr and in my opinion they do aim to fully replace many cameras.
    The one thing which holds me off a MacBook Air is that the graphics engine is much slower than in the Pro's as well as the limitation to 250G. If this is overcome then I will go for a MacBook Air as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    The one thing which holds me off a MacBook Air is that the graphics engine is much slower than in the Pro's as well as the limitation to 250G. If this is overcome then I will go for a MacBook Air as well.
    Not sure what processing you do but there is nothing slow feeling about the current airs and I use a 15" MBP side by side with a 13" MBA.

The most pictures I've ever taken on one trip was in Kenya with 18 days of shooting. I had an Air and portable harddrive with me. No issue. Just need to manage and air and not let too much stuff build up. I don't try and keep my entire photo library on it. It isn't my primary home machine right now.

With Dropbox and Evernote my only local storage need is for photos and drives are cheap.

Back on topic: my understanding is the Pureview was meant to work with Symbian and I don't think they've migrated it to Windows yet. Windows does look interesting but there is still some question about the current devices baing able to update to the newest version of windows this year and that answer is not yet clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what processing you do but there is nothing slow feeling about the current airs and I use a 15" MBP side by side with a 13" MBA.

The most pictures I've ever taken on one trip was in Kenya with 18 days of shooting. I had an Air and portable harddrive with me. No issue. Just need to manage and air and not let too much stuff build up. I don't try and keep my entire photo library on it. It isn't my primary home machine right now.

With Dropbox and Evernote my only local storage need is for photos and drives are cheap.

Back on topic: my understanding is the Pureview was meant to work with Symbian and I don't think they've migrated it to Windows yet. Windows does look interesting but there is still some question about the current devices baing able to update to the newest version of windows this year and that answer is not yet clear.
    Sorry, still off topic, but my last question: I would intend to use LR, PS and CS1 for processing and I would prefer doing so on the Air. Would that be possible with reasonable speed?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter,
    I've used all three on my Air. I probably wouldn't want to use all three intensively all open at the same time but all three run without issue. For travel and photography and the more limited editing I do when on the road it works well.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter,
    I've used all three on my Air. I probably wouldn't want to use all three intensively all open at the same time but all three run without issue. For travel and photography and the more limited editing I do when on the road it works well.
    Many thanks Terry!

This will help for my next everyday business book to decide

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anything new on the camera? It is coming to the US....at a price.....

Nokia's 41-Megapixel Camera Phone Will Go on Sale in U.S. for $700 - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry

this is a normal price - in Germany the Phone costs 499-530 € in the shops, by a factor of 1,25 and transport costs this is what it ought to cost.
    It´s because Nokia does not sponsor the price in the US and probably a normal importer just makes a working margin.
    The fact that many goods are 25 % cheaper in the US is due to the subventioning that many european vendors do pulling down € prices to the exact same amont in $. And vice versa we pay the same amount in € for stuff that is made and sold in the US in $ e.g. Apple costs exactly the same in € in the Apple store in Germany than what you pay in Apple´s US Store in $.
    We are the colonies and only once in a while you see how we feel about it.

Regards
    Stefan

steffin

yeah !!
    Its really unboxing i,too had gone through this model of nokia's phone as my friend has bought this last week,its imaging quality is too good that pictures seems original.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 13" MacBook Air (max. specs; i7 chip) alongside the last 15" MacBook Pro, quadcore, also max specs re. chip speed, RAM, and SSD. Testing on geekbench.com. the MBP 4-core scores 10,300; the tiny MBA scores 7,600. And today I edited my first HD video on the MBA, using the Thunderbolt port for the 30" Cinema Display, and a LaCie Rugged USB3 for the HD video footage. I edit in Final Cut Pro, latest version.

Point is that this is the first time a truly portable editing suite has been possible. I am with Terry here: all the high-tech people I know are moving to MBAs, and are as delighted with them as I am. Think about this: with the GX1 and three tiny lenses and the MBA + the USB3 drive, I am on the road fully equipped and able to shoot and edit HD video, and it's a featherweight kit.

And the same setup works perfectly for stills, too.

@ Stefan: I will be waiting to see what the iPhone 5 looks like (I want a bigger screen; I have just the iPhone 4 now); and I may jump to the Samsung Galaxy III if the new iPhone does not have a bigger screen.

As an aside, I honestly do not care what any technology costs IF it does the job. I am on the road most of the time, and portability matters as a result. The new top-spec MBA is a killer computer, and weighs nothing. And something that no reviewers I have seen have mentioned is that the new Airs (I had both of the earlier incarnations) have coatings on the screen that WORK: you can use them in airports. Not quite as good as the MBP's matte screen, but very close (and easier to clean!).

Ishika

Anything new on the camera? It is coming to the US....at a price.....

Nokia's 41-Megapixel Camera Phone Will Go on Sale in U.S. for $700 - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD

The 41MP camera phone is powered by a 1.3GHz single core processor, has 512MB RAM and 16GB internal memory,its really feels great to work with such kind of a phone with obviously not on higher prices.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

now is anybody here using the Nokia?
    I am really interested in this phone/camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I got one It's simply amazing. use full resolution 38mp about to iso 200, or pureview 8mp with no zoom up to iso 800 and get amazing results. Iso 1600 use only for casual snaps. any shots above iso 200 for full res is basically unusable, and the noise reduction will kill the resolution advantage here, so use pureview 8mp pixel bin modes.

Also note any shots taken iso 800 or 1600 on the nokia 808 has blue noise amplification issues on the right side of the sensor. Images can be fixed to a degree by warming color temperature and tint on the right side of the image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I´m using an N808 now for about a month.
    The most important thing: get Camera Pro ! It will allow you to use the full 41,48 Mpix image size and do a lot other things that are really cute.

Image quality is amazing. here is a link to a full res jpg.

http://www.hartblei.de/downloads/715...MusterN808.jpg

Regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

nice shot Stefan Steib.

One question is what other things really cute does camera one pro do except for the full 41mp sensor usage?

I knoe the prefocus once feature is nice for studio style shooting on same subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is so much - bracketing, full 41,48Mpix and very important - Zoom in full res mode ! see full list here:

Camera Pro 3.2.6 - Advanced Camera Tool - Signed - Nokia N8 - 808 PureView - Belle - App Download | Nokia N8 Fan Club

Regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

true true, but the default camera app does bracketing, and also the zoom in full res mode would be lossy?

Like the idea in camera pro's ability to choose jpg compression quality, and also audio recording quality and video bitrates for recordings.

here is a pureview sample taken with default app 38mp

808 Photo album by Bigley.ling

amazing IQ, click further in to see and download the full res image

Post Thanks / Like

If this was an android phone I would not thing twice about getting one.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, besides the obvious jpeg compression and odd noise texture, you could've resized this to 21mp and fooled me that it was a high-ISO shot from a 5D2. Too bad the phone aspect looks like it's 5 years out of date, I guess this is more like a camera that you can also make calls with.

Considering the size of the sensor, it's amazing that there is almost no CA what so ever in the corners, I guess that Zeiss glass really helps; all 6 of the glass elements are aspherical and bound as a single element with a fixed aperture that is just at the diffraction limit for the the 41mp sensor. A very impressive design.

Post Thanks / Like

One has to wonder though with android, could it handle processing 41mp real time to generate the excellent lower res pureview images, plus lossless zoom. It seems the 808 has dedicated purpose designed processors linked to the Symbian OS to handle this.

Combine this with completely lossless and seemless 6x digital zoom for 720p video recording (it can do 1080p but for my uses no need) and amazing rich stereo recording, no other phone capturing device can even come close.

Post Thanks / Like

But the main question remains:

Does it run Instagram?

What else do you need a camera-phone for?
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe... to ruin the pure clean image you just captured, right? Stylishly arranged garbage still stinks.

What would be amazing is if someone found a way to get the camera to output raw data (to DNG for example), I could even live with SyOS if it did, because as I said, it would be a camera that can also make calls for me then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Instagram has lost now over 65 % of their userbase since they have announced to use the images of their users for free ! Although they tried to sooth the waves with some announcements this will probably kill them.
    Facebook had bought them recently and probably thought this to make a new cash cow ...? Incredible stupidity paired with arrogance and management failure.......

regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of the time the Skype app on the iPhone/Pad wanted to access all your contacts or it wouldn't launch.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, ok...does it run vsco cam?

Nevermind, the 808 is surely a great cameras and I won't argue against it.
    The only reason I went with Android is, that I can easily sync it with my personal cloud service. Considering only the camer, it would have been a no-brainer.
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

OlliL, sadly I see no instagram, although I have never really been into that kind of photography, some may require it.

The 808 is designed at users that want the convenience of descent stills and video camera with the ability to use for phone calls, txt, some internet apps like skype and whatsapp, and simple web surfing.

Post Thanks / Like

That wasn't completely serious tbh!
    I do believe, that Nokia produced a descend phone, that's out of question, but I became so accustomed to several apps (not Instagram particularly, I used that as an example of a well known app) that I decided to stick with Android.
    Just one example: I use a Pogoplug for backup of all my data and they don't offer an app for Symbian.

Back to the PureView, I'd love to see more shots from it!
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Kolor-Pikker, yes a nice raw DNG output would have been desirable as an option. Guess there may have been no demand for it? Or maybe the DR of the sensor did not that much latitude to get advantages from a raw output.

As Stefan Steib said, there is an aftermarket camera app called "camera pro" which give the option for 100% JPG quality. This seems the best option so far for the highest quality option when using 41mp captures.

A good thing with regards to the JPG from the 808 is that images come out by default not over sharpened, or saturated in creative modes. This makes for easier post processing.

This is an ISO 800 cropped 808 full re image I took of the xmas HK skyline. As you can tell ISO 800 is definitely not recommended for full res modes here, but was on the move, and too crowded to setup tripod.

2012-09-01-0062 808 Photo album by Bigley.ling

Post Thanks / Like

Kolor-Pikker, yes a nice raw DNG output would have been desirable as an option. Guess there may have been no demand for it? Or maybe the DR of the sensor did not that much latitude to get advantages from a raw output.

As Stefan Steib said, there is an aftermarket camera app called "camera pro" which give the option for 100% JPG quality. This seems the best option so far for the highest quality option when using 41mp captures.

A good thing with regards to the JPG from the 808 is that images come out by default not over sharpened, or saturated in creative modes. This makes for easier post processing.

This is an ISO 800 cropped 808 full re image I took of the xmas HK skyline. As you can tell ISO 800 is definitely not recommended for full res modes here, but was on the move, and too crowded to setup tripod.

2012-09-01-0062 808 Photo album by Bigley.ling

Post Thanks / Like

pureview mode 8mp, very good pixels

click and click again to see full res pixel peeping.