The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia 808 PureView - unboxing

Stefan Steib

As much as it tempting to get one right now, I think I will hold my breath and wait til the end of the year, where it is rumored to have the same camera module in a Windows 8 mobile device. This is probably the moment when I will dump my iPhone 4.

regards
Stefan

V

Vivek

Are you sure the iphone5 won't be on the horizon by then? ;)

Stefan Steib

It´s all about the camera Vivek.Apple will not have a Zoom and definitley not a 41 Mpix large chip as the Nokia.

As much as I like the Apple stuff, I had some negative experiences lately. My Ex wifes iPhone 4s was a real pain to actvate, I don´t want to be forced to the cloud against my will and I think the phone part was also never like I wished it to be. My Display is having a large orange spot now after 1,5 years of usage (luckily I have also bought an apple care for this- but hey- is this normal that all Apple products break and I need to have an extra payment to cover this ?)

Also I believe the price is simply to high. And after 2 years of trying + using hundreds of apps there will stay only some few that I really need.

And further I am waiting what Apple will do with the MacBookPro 17.
If a new version (if there is any!) will be a fusion of Macbook air and Ipad I´m gone.

There are nice deskktop replacement PC Laptops now e.g. Asus with 32 Gigs of ram, 3,5 TB of diskspace (3TB on 3,5"-second on SSD512) and 18,4 " of Highquality screen for under 2000 €. Sorry - but if I ramp up a current 17MBPro I will end in the 3500 € range with less punch and only a quarter of storage ?

Apple will sell a lot of phones and ipads in the future. I am not sure they will be a home for professional hard and software anymore.

Maybe I´ll get an iPad for the money I save to do all the stuff I won´t use my Laptop then. So isn´t this what Apple wants us to do ?

Regards
Stefan

Terry

Stefan - I work in an office full of software engineers. There isn't one 17" laptop in our office. Mostly everyone has gravitated to MacBook Airs with a couple of 12" MBPs and only a couple 15". Most all prefer this with and external monitor vs. huge laptop to lug around.

Don't count on the iPhone 5 not improving further on the camera side of things. I think it is pretty obvious that Apple likes the fact that the iPhone is the number one camera on Flickr and in my opinion they do aim to fully replace many cameras.

Stefan Steib

Terry -

I´m travelling so much- I cannot keep a large Monitor in sight . And - the thinner Macbook airs are even more expensive with less power to do a lot of imaging. This maybe ok for software engineers, but for me shuffling around hundreds and thousands of 40-80 Mpix images on locations and on demos this is no option.

And I really don´t care about the mass of people, I want a zoom in my phone camera.

regards
Stefan

mazor

agree with you Stefan Steib with regards to zoom capability. Apple is usually a few generations slow at mastering technology, so best bets apple will have maybe a 20mp edition theoretically and have a 2x zoom 10mp image using similar technology possibly for a 5gs iphone.

even today nokia n8's over two year old phone tech 12mp camera is still superior to Apples 4gs....

Stefan Steib

Gerald

did you try some more stuff in the meantime ?
How is the Dolby® Headphone sound ?
And how is voice and reception quality ?

TIA
Stefan

gerald.d

Hi Stefan -

I haven't really had a chance to test it out much yet.

As a phone, it's fine.
As a smartphone, it's awful.
As a camera, I have still have to test it fully :)

Stefan Steib

Mazor

I firmly believe Nokia will come back strongly ! OK this symbian OS for the N808 may not be the first choice, but as soon as they get windows mobile 8 this may completely change. ThePureview technology is planned to go into many more models maybe with smaller res but at the moment this is a technological stake and an exclusive feature.
And no matter what Apple will come up with- I´m sorry but the visionary is gone, Apple is now only a normal company with a strong historical setup built by Steve Jobs, I am waiting to see any surprise to proof me wrong.

I know I´m also to be impressed by design (ah, if it only was not THAT ugly), but actually when I use it I do not look to the design anymore, that´s more a buying decison "helper".

Curious on more details Gerald, you are probably one of the first people worldwide, so now you will have us asking you ! :)

Regards
Stefan

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Stefan - I work in an office full of software engineers. There isn't one 17" laptop in our office. Mostly everyone has gravitated to MacBook Airs with a couple of 12" MBPs and only a couple 15". Most all prefer this with and external monitor vs. huge laptop to lug around.

Don't count on the iPhone 5 not improving further on the camera side of things. I think it is pretty obvious that Apple likes the fact that the iPhone is the number one camera on Flickr and in my opinion they do aim to fully replace many cameras.
The one thing which holds me off a MacBook Air is that the graphics engine is much slower than in the Pro's as well as the limitation to 250G. If this is overcome then I will go for a MacBook Air as well.

Terry

The one thing which holds me off a MacBook Air is that the graphics engine is much slower than in the Pro's as well as the limitation to 250G. If this is overcome then I will go for a MacBook Air as well.
Not sure what processing you do but there is nothing slow feeling about the current airs and I use a 15" MBP side by side with a 13" MBA.

The most pictures I've ever taken on one trip was in Kenya with 18 days of shooting. I had an Air and portable harddrive with me. No issue. Just need to manage and air and not let too much stuff build up. I don't try and keep my entire photo library on it. It isn't my primary home machine right now.

With Dropbox and Evernote my only local storage need is for photos and drives are cheap.

Back on topic: my understanding is the Pureview was meant to work with Symbian and I don't think they've migrated it to Windows yet. Windows does look interesting but there is still some question about the current devices baing able to update to the newest version of windows this year and that answer is not yet clear.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Not sure what processing you do but there is nothing slow feeling about the current airs and I use a 15" MBP side by side with a 13" MBA.

The most pictures I've ever taken on one trip was in Kenya with 18 days of shooting. I had an Air and portable harddrive with me. No issue. Just need to manage and air and not let too much stuff build up. I don't try and keep my entire photo library on it. It isn't my primary home machine right now.

With Dropbox and Evernote my only local storage need is for photos and drives are cheap.

Back on topic: my understanding is the Pureview was meant to work with Symbian and I don't think they've migrated it to Windows yet. Windows does look interesting but there is still some question about the current devices baing able to update to the newest version of windows this year and that answer is not yet clear.
Sorry, still off topic, but my last question: I would intend to use LR, PS and CS1 for processing and I would prefer doing so on the Air. Would that be possible with reasonable speed?

Terry

Peter,
I've used all three on my Air. I probably wouldn't want to use all three intensively all open at the same time but all three run without issue. For travel and photography and the more limited editing I do when on the road it works well.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter,
I've used all three on my Air. I probably wouldn't want to use all three intensively all open at the same time but all three run without issue. For travel and photography and the more limited editing I do when on the road it works well.
Many thanks Terry!

This will help for my next everyday business book to decide :)

Peter