The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..still looking good, this little camera.

Nothing special here, but the files look so lush, are a pleasure to work with,
colours are great (AWB), such a joy to use, and as near to silent as makes no difference.

These all 125 ASA. EV is nearly always -0.7. All jpegs merely fiddled in iPhoto. 1st two wide angle, others almost full tele. 5 is a 25% crop of 4 and the quality is still very good.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..and this isn't particularly noisy for a quick hand held point and shoot at the late evening sky today.

3200 ASA, 1/10 @ f11.

+ a crop of same representing about 25% of the original.

No noise reduction....

Last edited:

emr

I haven't had a better P&S camera since I gave my Canon S90 to my daughter. Therefore I have been thinking about getting an RX100 to carry everywhere. After all, the picture you take with any camera you have with you is infinitely better than the one you miss by leaving the camera at home.

Then I realized that I don't have a pocket for this pocket-sized camera! When I'm not carrying a bag, I usually only have room for my keys and wallet, sometimes even the cellphone is difficult to squeeze in somewhere. And when I am carrying a bag, I do have room for a bigger and more versatile camera.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..ah, yes, the eternal dilemma of the man with no pockets..hope you sort it out soon:)

I have lovely pockets sufficient for my needs, but I don't carry my camera in them. I have a small army surplus bag in which I usually have a collapsible umbrella, note-pad and biro, mobile phone, Guardian newspaper for the cryptic crossword, and a banana and an RX100.

I just made a quick still life which took 2 minutes to set up, 1 minute to shoot and 2 minutes to process. If I'd spent a bit more time on this and tastefully arranged 3 or 4 lemon pips I could almost have called this an 'Irving Penn':)

Aren't the colours lovely? Best camera ever.

And all to combat my existential ennui.:shocked:

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

thrice

Looking forward to getting lightroom support for this little monster.
This one taken by the girlfriend. ISO1000!

jonoslack

HI Daniel
excellent! Like you - I'm waiting for RAW support (Aperture in my case). But the jpgs aren't very dreadful, and seem to have plenty of scope (except for blown highlights of course).

Here's three from the weekend:

ashwinrao1

Thanks, David. yeah, I feel that the RX100 is my little "wow" camera. THe IQ really makes you say "Wow" when you get home and see what you have...since the LCD screen still makes images look a bit P&Sish...

Pingang

Re: Sony RX100

I have this camera for 2 weeks now but regrrettably not enough time spending some quality moment with it, but it is areally nice feeling in ones hand. knowing what it can do, make it apart from the digital cam of its size come before it, reminds me of the Contax T3.
At least now, it is most often in my small bag and I would think of making a quick snap shot with RX100 than using iPhone.
A snapshop made in a sanitary center in Bangkok.

Pingang

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..lots of lovely snaps here. Everyone seems to enjoy this little camera.

The last night of the Olympic Games in suburbia.

3200ASA, 1/3 @ f4, hand held.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..3 more at 3200 i think quite impressive but i now reset upper auto iso limit to 1600 to see..

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..well I must say that there won't be many times that I shall wish that instead of this poxy little 1" sensor I had had an old wooden camera, a 165mm Super Angulon, a few sheets of 10"x8" Ektachrome and a cable release!..

Cheers,

Gandolfi.!!

Last edited: