The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

V

Vivek

>my shirt pocket I was in trouble

Easy solution: Bigger pocket and bigger shirt.
That may not fit all. I would need grow the body as well to have an XXXXL shirt.:D

Impressive as it may be, it remains to be seen if it is worth 650 Euros.

Terry

I know everybody's all excited about this "big" sensor compact camera, but just a reminder...
I agree - why I started this thread in the snall sensor arena and not the Sony forum. However 1" is big for a camera this size. It is a really remarkable achievement.

Now, I think it depends on what your you are comparing it to. In the P&S arena, it is a leap forward.

Paratom

Is the AF fast and accurate?

I am very interested in the rx100.
I would see this as a replacement for the xz1 as an allmost allways with me camera.
Just wonder how a gx3 with the compact small zoom and the rx100 would compare.
And considering the 20MP vs the Oly xz1 lower MP meaning not so different pixel density but faster lens of the xz1 - could I expect a better IQ of the rx100 over the xz1 (if we ignore the higher MP advantage for big prints)?

Rawfa

The DR seems quite nice. How does it fare when it comes to high iso in low light? I hate reviews who are like "Look how well it does at iso 1600" and then they show a perfectly well lit scene where nobody would ever use iso 1600.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The DR seems quite nice.

It is ok. Not quite a D800 :). I want it actually more for video than stills. But snapping nice stills while doing video is nice.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Handled the camera today for 15min and I must say I am kind of sold! Really very nice. If IQ holds up to that (almost) I will get one .....

pjmsj21

I would be curious as to anyone's thoughts on the RX100 compared to the FujiX10 as an only camera for now? I would likely add a larger sensor camera in a year or two.

Terry

I would be curious as to anyone's thoughts on the RX100 compared to the FujiX10 as an only camera for now? I would likely add a larger sensor camera in a year or two.
I like the handling of the X10 better. Better ergonomics and button positions for me. But definitely larger.

Video will be infinitely better on the Sony.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I owned the X10 and was in the end pretty much disappointed. Main reason was the - at least for me - absolutely unusable OVF, it was completely out of range towards the bottom. So finally I think it is better to not have any OVF (or EVF) than having one which just is almost useless.

What I also disliked on the X10 was the handling and the menus, but this is definitely something very subjective, so others may see this differently.

IQ wise I cannot talk because I have not tested the RX100 for this, but I was pretty happy with the output from the X10 in most cases. But again, as the RX100 covers a much larger sensor than the X10, I assume IQ will be even better. Plus it is 20MP, so you always can down-sample and increase IQ performance this way.

Finally size, the X10 for me is NOT pocketable, the RX100 is, so this is the ultimate advantage I think for a pocketable camera.

My 2c

Millsart

X10 handles better when its in your hand, as its a more traditional, or "old school" as many call it design, with dedicated dials and buttons rather than multi function "soft" keys etc as many of todays modern cameras are going to. I personally enjoy having a physical manual zoom ring for example, EC dial etc.

HOWEVER, the X10 is just not a pocket camera in the slighest, while the RX100 slips easily into any pocket and also offers better performance in almost every way.

Much better video, faster frame rates, higher resolution, lower noise, more subject isolation, better pano sweep and other perhaps gimmicky processing modes, faster AF, you name it really.

X10 though is fun to shoot when its actually in hand, but question is what to do with it when your not actually shooting.

Also at $599 for the X10, given its performance, is also sort of steep for what your getting compared to the SOny for $50 more.

All and all though rather different cameras so kind of hard to compare them directly

ustein

Contributing Editor
Photographed a car show today. Light was very demanding (normal in our place).

- LCD as sunlight no problem at all with the sunlight LCD Setting
- Very light in my hands
- we use a grip

- All from Raw with an early beta raw converter

More RX100 images can be found here:

Sony RX100 Field Tests - Digital Outback Photo

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Uwe,

All very nice. Thanks for posting.
I may have a go with one of these and hope I enjoy it as much as I do my LX3.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Never had a LX3. But I like it better than the X10 and XZ1. Although I think these other cameras may have better lenses. But larger sensors render a bit smoother. In video the RX100 is a class better than these other models.

m_driscoll

It's 2:00 in the morning and there's not a lot to photograph. Here's two shots converted from RAW with RPP. IDC 4.1 crashed at 69% complete while batch processing. The RX100 is so small, and well-made, and, well...cool, that I'll go without the viewfinder. The metadata disappeared when importing to Lightroom. Maybe there's a way to import it, also?

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll