The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

ZoranC

ZoranC, thank you for being diligent on running all sorts of tests and finding all the faults of the camera, and I hope you will report your findings to Sony so RX200 will be that much better. I'm a lost cause, I'm afraid, because I have not even noticed any problems before you reported them, and I don't think I will tomorrow because I'm simply not that critical of it.

To me, the camera has a combination of traits that I like:
- small, pocketable, take anywhere
- acceptable zoom range to cover basic wide and tele
- fast enough to create some bokeh when I want it
- fast enough auto-focus

You'll see none of them require the RX100 to be the best in that category, and I'm willing to accept some faults if it means that all my requests are served. I will not be looking at these pictures in 100% pixels, I will not be printing them big for a gallery, I'll probably continue to accept JPGs instead of RAWs, I'll play with silly effects/modes, and you know what, I'll be happy, too.
David, thank you for dilligently continuing to avoid my question whether such performing camera is doing it's job based on criteria you yourself provided. You didn't answer that question here to me but maybe you will to yourself one day. Depending on how special the shot will be.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hey diddle diddle,
The Cat and the fiddle,
The Cow jumped over the moon,
The little dog laughed to see such fun,
And the Dish ran away with the Spoon.

jonoslack

My apologies as well - sincerely so - late night postings are often a mistake.
Spoiling a thread with so many good shots is a real shame - So. . . .
I've deleted my intemperate and pointless posts.

Back to the photographs?

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Jono,

In the great scheme of things aint it just a drop in the ocean.

I've been trying close ups from afar with lens on full zoom, tho' this is heavy cropping.

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Jono,

In the great scheme of things aint it just a drop in the ocean.

I've been trying close ups from afar with lens on full zoom, tho' this is heavy cropping.

Gandolfi.
HI There
I think that close ups, although not bad at all, are rather a shortcoming - it would be nice to focus a bit closer on the long end of the zoom. Mind you, fun shooting at the wide end at f1.8.

You're right about drops in the ocean, it was still unnecessary though, I'm neither a moderator nor a policemen, and it's undignified to behave like one!

all the best

Thorkil

Human nature is and will always be contradictory.
But ability to step back and be humble and letting it go is always valuable.
Best
Thorkil

jonoslack

Human nature is and will always be contradictory.
But ability to step back and be humble and letting it go is always valuable.
Best
Thorkil
HI Thorkil
I'm not sure that being humble is one of my strong suits .. . . . . sometimes I can recognise when I've been a pillock though :ROTFL:

Thorkil

Hi Jono
You have just reached the 60 (congratulations by the way), I'm going there soon. What age are able to teach us, ourselves, is unbelievable I do think. And people who think 20 years means grown up, we just have to say, okay...but wait until you are 60 then, but that said, well, we just don't live in a straight line every minute, all the day, all the year. We are just human beings. And by the way, the biggest issue is to forgive oneself being who we/you are without punishing one-self, also when we are not being so roomy/3-dimentionel..(...speaking Leica/foveon language :p) as we wish or use to be, weather, life, a stocked trigger(camera or life), a puncture can get in our way....but that’s the issue we all are stocked in once in a while.
But by the age we are better able to turn around, saying "silly you" to ourselves...and...that’s a gift(!)..and the ability, looking up then and being humble...that’s also a gift. And speaking of this, yes its really a pity that life can't be lived backwards. The world had look quite different then, fewer wars fewer poor’s, better communications and corporations. Society is what we do together. A good society is where we care for each other...(but that’s a different thing)
Well, well I know...no more words....
Thorkil
(by the way you might actually have been right both of you, but speaking from a different standing both, and speaking beside each other)

Godfrey

Just finally had a chance to handle the RX100. Lovely little camera. ... And I do mean little. Too small for my hands without an eye level viewfinder.

For those who can use and enjoy it, bravo. Not for me...

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Biggles on the final sortie of the day, this time on the search for the elusive spherical aberrations of doom.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Biggles on the final sortie of the day, this time on the search for the elusive spherical aberrations of doom.
:ROTFL: Speaking of which, did they get Zoran first? he seems to have evaporated.

Lovely shot

@Bart - I'm not sure that it's worth more than free, but there are a couple of good snaps I think.