The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..Some from a walk yesterday. A bit of straightening/cropping in iPhoto but bar a couple of small tweaks straight out of camera..

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Ah,life..aint it just like Tom Thumb's blues..
..when your gravity fails,
and negativity don't pull you through..

and that my friend seems a good positive review, just had a quick skim through as a little busy right now..

Anyway, who gives a monkey's, you like it, I like it, and lots of others like it too.

I was going to post some half interesting musings about those 'Abbe..rations' you mentioned, may do later, all from a historical perspective, don't even know if it was what you were talking about, watch this space.

In the meantime...da 'hood remains.

Keep posting,

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Gandolfi

Sorry you left the LX 3 behind. The photos were enlightening.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Yes it was a great camera and I'm so pleased that you liked some of my images.

I get a feeling that you are not enjoying my new pics with RX100 so much. Well, I'm still slowly learning all about the camera, and I'm really enjoying using it, and I think some of the pics are as 'enlightening' as LX3.

There's no going back now, and the 'quality' I feel is definitely an improvement.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
gilpen, ya know what really works in this image? Ok, there's all these square and rectangle shapes all over. The RX100 handles that really well but... truth be told, the camera knows when a photo needs visual strength so it bends the lower right corner to add eye travel and interest.

Alas, some may call that corner bend-ness out of squareness a abbey-adoration. It's safe to say that it's just a good eye with a good understanding camera....

gilpen123

Thanks Don you're right it really depends on how one interprets the overall picture created by the shooter and the camera.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Hi Don
So I can understand that you would choose the RX100 over the GRD if you had to make a choise? Thanks for review.
Thorkil
Uh....let's not get carried away about this. When I break in a new camera, I give it 30 days of solo use. I don't touch another camera regardless of the need.

To be honest and so that there is a clear understanding....
I am using the RX100 everyday but I'm jonsing to use the GRD4.

My shrink has given me digital detox medicine to put the craving for the GRD4 at rest. It won't work, I'll never make 30 days. That sexi little white body just teases me to no end. And then when the lens comes out..B&W just oozes out...I surrender!

I hope this is clear enough.

Godfrey

Uh....let's not get carried away about this. When I break in a new camera, I give it 30 days of solo use. I don't touch another camera regardless of the need. ...
Yay! Someone else does this!

I do the same thing—I use whatever camera I just bought for everything, once I pick it up, regardless of how appropriate or inappropriate it might be, to see what I can make with it.

I just yesterday hit the 30 day mark with the X2, decided to celebrate: I took my walk with the Polaroid SX-70 and finished off my Impossible Project color film. That was fun ... Working on the results now.

(I'm eager to use the Leica CL which arrived while I was getting comfortable with the X2.. Film is loaded and ready to shoot. But I doubt I'll put a whole month into that: it is, after all, the third CL I've owned and the controls/features have little to surprise me at this point.)

Thorkil

Uh....let's not get carried away about this. When I break in a new camera, I give it 30 days of solo use. I don't touch another camera regardless of the need.

To be honest and so that there is a clear understanding....
I am using the RX100 everyday but I'm jonsing to use the GRD4.

My shrink has given me digital detox medicine to put the craving for the GRD4 at rest. It won't work, I'll never make 30 days. That sexi little white body just teases me to no end. And then when the lens comes out..B&W just oozes out...I surrender!

I hope this is clear enough.
Yes...no...perhaps its clear...perhaps not...you are teasing/challenge my limited vocabulary (I'm just a dane)(I had to search the Urban Dictionary: Jonesing="the act of needing something badly. Usually related to chemical dependency":))..therefore I have to spell it slowly to be sure that I understood: You are mighty impressed by the RX100, its skills in fast focusing, IQ , colours, hight Iso.....but...but..closing your eyes, and decision have to be made, it's the GRD you grab for the final and happy reach out....correct?
Best
Thorkil
(Ps your GRD B&W was something special)

Thorkil

Hi Godfrey...even though the Cl (for M-lenses I guess) isn't the same as the Minilux, still have the Minilux and that one took some of the best family and children etc. pictures for several years.
best
Thorkil

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey...even though the Cl (for M-lenses I guess) isn't the same as the Minilux, still have the Minilux and that one took some of the best family and children etc. pictures for several years.
best
Thorkil
:)

I had the Minizoom model for a while. The friend I sold it to just replaced it with a digital camera of similar size last summer.

The CL is more of a compact, less expensive M than the type of camera the Minilux is ... the Minilux is more akin to the X2.

HamSammich

My solution to the eye-level problem. Voigtlander+3M Heavy Duty double-sided foam tape.

Problems.

1) Finder only has lines for 28 and 35. Had to figure out what the zoom equivalent was to 35-- and the camera displaying it as 1x 1.2x, etc. is a pain.

2) There doesn't seem to be any way to make the camera memorize the last lens setting, so it's forever turn-on-fiddle-lever-remember-it's-1.3x-for-35 etc.

3) You can't turn off the display, so the camera either burns batteries as you walk along or it sleeps itself and, in so doing, retracts the lens. Grrrrrrr.

4) On a related note, eye-level or not, IS or not, it's so damn small that it's nearly impossible to keep steady. Attaching a plastic phallus to the end of it might work for people who, at the end of sentences, verbs put (g), it's ain't working for shaky-boy here.

OTOH

5) My Rollei 35S was a pain in the ***, too, and I loved it.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Yes...no...perhaps its clear...perhaps not...you are teasing/challenge my limited vocabulary (I'm just a dane)(I had to search the Urban Dictionary: Jonesing="the act of needing something badly. Usually related to chemical dependency":))..therefore I have to spell it slowly to be sure that I understood: You are mighty impressed by the RX100, its skills in fast focusing, IQ , colours, hight Iso.....but...but..closing your eyes, and decision have to be made, it's the GRD you grab for the final and happy reach out....correct?
Best
Thorkil
(Ps your GRD B&W was something special)
Well Thorkil, it seems you speak and understand Philadelphian American better than I speak Proper English.
To answer, yes the GRD4 would win against any and all.
I am counting the days till I can use it again.

Thorkil

Well Thorkil, it seems you speak and understand Philadelphian American better than I speak Proper English.
To answer, yes the GRD4 would win against any and all.
I am counting the days till I can use it again.
Thanks Don, it tells a lot more than many reviews :), thats what I felt all the time..decision is now easier
Best
Thorkil