The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

CharlesK

Yes, it appears to have some glow wide open. I bet it goes away stopped down to f/2 or maybe 2.2. :)
I would suspect the glow is with the Zeiss Sonnar design, that gives the glow wide open. Great concept for a small sensor cam! While everyone is going for absolute sharpness, it wonderful to see some alternate thinking that gives some personality to an otherwise high MP sharp image :)

monza

Is the lens Sonnar-based? I haven't investigated, but that would make sense. I have a wartime Jena Sonnar 50/1.5 that has plenty of glow at 1.5, and it's gone at f/2. :)

CharlesK

Yes, it is written on the lens, Vario-Sonnar T*. I feel this the reason for the unique Zeiss look on this gem of a cam:)

monza

True, although perhaps that is marketing, rather than design? Doesn't really matter, I suppose.. the lens and the camera are a great combo. :)

Just got mine yesterday, took a few snaps, menu system is refreshing (cleaner than NEX and I won't mention Olympus...oops.) This is going to be fun. :)
Great stuff Robert - really like the ants marching. Odd, I have not noticed any of the glow you exhibited - will need to go back to the archive and look for it...

Welcome to the RX100 club!

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

Went out with this pocket sized camera in my pocket today. Was ok. At least no-one said, 'Is that an RX100 in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?'. Tho' better in a little bag with a few other necessaries.

I came across this co-operative pussy and just had to put my shopping down.

It was a bit shy and I had to whisper sweet nothings to get it to look at the camera.

Look, this isn't a D800E or even a D800 or an OMD-em5 or an X-pro1, but,hey...nothing else but a bit of sharpening in iPhoto.

I sometimes seem to rabbit on with the zealous fervour of the recently converted; my gob has been well and truly smacked with this one.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Monza,

Yes, indeed, 1st one and last one:thumbup: Jaw-dropping innit!

I had to go out this evening and look upward.

All virtually straight ooc, last one only had to be lightened a bit.
All 30 secs. All 125 ASA.
1st at 12 mins past 9. f11.
2nd at 28mins past 9. f5.0. this is I.S.S. passing straight through Cygnus.
3rd at 4 mins past 11. f2.0. looking almost straight up.

Small lens hood made out of loo roll inner helped a lot:)

One thing I would like answering anyone please.
Is it possible to focus on infinity with certainty somehow? in manual focus?

Still I feel their is room for some spatial development here. Too many awful yellow street lights where I am tho'.

Onwards and upwards. To Infinity and Beyond:D

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..this is part of my natural habitat and was part of the Dorset & Somerset Railway leading in to the middle of Bath. It is now part of what will eventually become a long distance cycle network. It is one of my prime assets and is but 100yards from my door..

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
I regard this as Serendipity of the highest order for when I was out strolling I happened upon this troupe of merry minstrels who I had never heard of and who travel the country my canal narrow boat and by van.

They were acting a play called 'Losing the Plot' about allotments and a lot else beside and they were doing this, where else, but in some allotments near to me.

It encompassed so many things from the Peasant's Revolt and the Enclosures Act and Wat Tyler and the Diggers and the Levellers to the Allotment Act of 1908 and global warming and capitalism and Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

I absolutely cannot tell you how clever it was and funny beyond words.

If you ever get the chance to see them grab it with all your hands. Details on side of van. Of course being outdoors made it exceptionally magical.

Here are a few pics, only tickled in iPhoto.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited: