The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Cindy,
Thanks, and you are right, Arles is a delight with interesting stuff up every street and around every corner.
I'm shooting 16x9 or square at the moment as I have some small sensor fluff in the top left, a recent acquisition!
I may even upgrade to the Mk3 model at some point.
I hope you become well acquainted with yours.
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

tbhv55

This is a lovely effect, I don't suppose there's any way to process a raw file in camera?

Kind regards

Brian
On the RX100 Mk1, one can apply effects as follows:-

Review Raw image
Press menu button
Select Effects menu
Select required effect
Apply effect as per on-screen instructions
Result can then be saved as a Jpeg, if required

I presume that the Mk4 is similar. Hope this helps.

Brian Mosley

Thanks for that, but when I press the menu button during image preview, it just takes me to the full set of menus...

I can't see a 'special effects' menu.

Maybe the mk iv has lost this functionality?

Brian

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
On the RX100 Mk1, one can apply effects as follows:-

Review Raw image
Press menu button
Select Effects menu
Select required effect
Apply effect as per on-screen instructions
Result can then be saved as a Jpeg, if required

I presume that the Mk4 is similar. Hope this helps.
I'm sure Tim's answer is more to your requirements than mine would have been! But his is for applying the effect after the taking of the photo.

I have the 'picture effect' as one of the things in the Fn button. And I choose the effect before I take the photo, and it is saved as Jpeg both with the effect and without. It is not possible to use the 'picture effect' in RAW.

So I presume Tim's method would give better results as it is utilising a RAW while mine is Jpeg.

But I don't shoot RAW anyway:ROTFL:

Have I confused you?:)

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

tbhv55

Thanks for that, but when I press the menu button during image preview, it just takes me to the full set of menus...

I can't see a 'special effects' menu.

Maybe the mk iv has lost this functionality?

Brian
As I've never used the Mk4, it's difficult for me to comment... however, I've attached an extract from the User Manual for the Mk1. Perhaps you can extrapolate from this, to find the functionality in the Mk4...:)

- - - Updated - - -

Attachments

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hold the front page... this just in..
On the Sony.net website the specifications say all the Picture Effects are on the Mk4.

Confusion??
Clear as mud.;)

Brian Mosley

Well, it looks like this functionality has been removed from the mk iv. :facesmack:

I'll have to dig out the manual, but the 'Effects' option is not available on the playback menu (1 or 2).

Thanks

Brian

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Brian, it is there but not on playback but on set up menu No3 (of 5)
Definitely. I looked at Mk4 manual on line and it is there (maybe Page 23)
I tried to add screen grab with more info but could not.

Brian Mosley

Yes, it's there as an option for shooting in jpeg, but you can't shot raw and subsequently apply the effect to the raw file.

I get the impression that this is possible in the earlier models from the playback menu.

Strange that this functionality has been removed.

Kind regards

Brian