The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

Terry

Camera arrived last night.
Very small
Very solid build.
Menus from the Alpha series with some NEX tidbits thrown in.
Highly customizable
Responsive

Only took a couple of snaps so far. Once jpeg 100% crop to post
Will try find some time to do some testing this week.

J

JohnW

Such a lovely, delicate rendering. Look forward to more.

john

ustein

Contributing Editor
Sony calls the RX100 "The Professional's Compact Camera". We are on our way to find out. Today we had our first chance to use this "hot" camera (and our own RX100 is on order). Here are our first Field Test Images:

We also tried video and think that Sony's claim is not that far off.

Last edited:

retow

I got mine last Friday and so far I'm pretty impressed. Though I believe its true potential will only show when shooting RAW.

Quentin_Bargate

Just ordered one. It passes the magic 20mp threashold which (for me) is important.

Lens distortion should not be an issue if, as you say Uwe, raw converters like ACR are able to process RX100 images in due course. In my view, if ACR and Lightroom are good enough for Hasselblad, should be good enough for Sony...

jonoslack

Well, I'd like one (oh yes) . . . . but I think I'm going to wait and see whether Aperture support the ARW files soon, rather than rushing in and shooting jpg.

Quentin_Bargate

Video looks spectacular. Only I don't shoot video :D

Jono, I hear your words of sanity and wisdom, but I would expect ACR to support decoding of the Sony raw files from the RX100 pretty soon. I have no intention of shooting jpeg while sober...

Q

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
yup, I'm following this one too. Looks pretty good.
There is supposedly an announcement in a couple of days re a new Panasonic LX7.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Terry

No step zoom. Two ways to zoom, point and shoot style around shutter button, or the ring around the lens.

bradhusick

I know everybody's all excited about this "big" sensor compact camera, but just a reminder...

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
This is a P&S camera and thats it. But the quality is nice for a P&S and the video is quite capable. Even pro video cameras have often a smaller sensor.

Just compared a D800 with a RX100 shot. The main diff is the dynamic range. Hardly noise in the shadows with the D800 compared to the RX100. Video would be a more interesting comparison.