Site Sponsors

Thread: Recommendations for a "pocket cam"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Recommendations for a "pocket cam"?

A friend has asked me to recommend a pocket camera for his upcoming motorcycle trip. A slim camera that will fit in a jacket pocket. I think he generally prefers Sony or Canon cameras. I have never bought this type of camera, so was wondering if anyone here might have a suggestion.

TIA,

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Recommendations for a "pocket cam"?

Canon S100.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Canon S100.
    +1... I have the s90 - it is very good, and (from everything that I've read) the s95 and s100 versions have gradually refined out most of the minor items that were 'wrong' with the s90.

In digital, it's difficult to find anything that has as much functionality and quality as the Powershot 's' series, at a size which will fit comfortably into a shirt pocket or trouser pocket. You might get suggestions for other compact cameras which can equal or surpass these in functionality, but I doubt that any would be as small.

You didn't state whether you were asking for digital only, but outside the digital realm, the Olympus XA would be an option - provided that you can find one in good order.

Post Thanks / Like

Sony RX100. Truly shirt pocketable with amazing IQ and functionality for a camera this small. A much larger sensor than all its competitors and an excellent lens allow to produe files rivaling entry level mft cams. It will redefine the point & shoot category. A little pricey, but presently there is no alternative. I recommend reading LL's review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    Sony RX100. Truly shirt pocketable with amazing IQ and functionality for a camera this small. A much larger sensor than all its competitors and an excellent lens allow to produe files rivaling entry level mft cams. It will redefine the point & shoot category. A little pricey, but presently there is no alternative. I recommend reading LL's review.
    Good point - I'd forgotten the RX100, because it's so new on the scene. It looks very good indeed.

It has a much larger sensor, but its dimensions are greater than the s100 (particularly in thickness) and this gives an overall volume of around 31% larger than the s100. Whether this makes any serious difference could only really be assessed by trying each camera 'in the pocket' at a dealer. However, the RX100 must be a very serious contender with regard to the OP's enquiry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been pretty pleased with the RX100.
    One benefit is that besides having really decent image quality, it does not need an additional charger since it charges from a usb cable.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

RX100 no doubt. The Canon S are smaller but the RX100 output is miles better. I still bought the wall charger that comes with 2 extra batteries at less than $40. Convenient to have one when traveling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gilpen123 View Post
    RX100 no doubt. The Canon S are smaller but the RX100 output is miles better. I still bought the wall charger that comes with 2 extra batteries at less than $40. Convenient to have one when traveling.
    +1 on both the camera and the charger with extra batteries.