The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recommendations for a "pocket cam"?

bensonga

A friend has asked me to recommend a pocket camera for his upcoming motorcycle trip. A slim camera that will fit in a jacket pocket. I think he generally prefers Sony or Canon cameras. I have never bought this type of camera, so was wondering if anyone here might have a suggestion.

TIA,

Gary

tbhv55

Canon S100.
+1... I have the s90 - it is very good, and (from everything that I've read) the s95 and s100 versions have gradually refined out most of the minor items that were 'wrong' with the s90.

In digital, it's difficult to find anything that has as much functionality and quality as the Powershot 's' series, at a size which will fit comfortably into a shirt pocket or trouser pocket. You might get suggestions for other compact cameras which can equal or surpass these in functionality, but I doubt that any would be as small.

You didn't state whether you were asking for digital only, but outside the digital realm, the Olympus XA would be an option - provided that you can find one in good order.

retow

Sony RX100. Truly shirt pocketable with amazing IQ and functionality for a camera this small. A much larger sensor than all its competitors and an excellent lens allow to produe files rivaling entry level mft cams. It will redefine the point & shoot category. A little pricey, but presently there is no alternative. I recommend reading LL's review.

tbhv55

Sony RX100. Truly shirt pocketable with amazing IQ and functionality for a camera this small. A much larger sensor than all its competitors and an excellent lens allow to produe files rivaling entry level mft cams. It will redefine the point & shoot category. A little pricey, but presently there is no alternative. I recommend reading LL's review.
Good point - I'd forgotten the RX100, because it's so new on the scene. It looks very good indeed.

It has a much larger sensor, but its dimensions are greater than the s100 (particularly in thickness) and this gives an overall volume of around 31% larger than the s100. Whether this makes any serious difference could only really be assessed by trying each camera 'in the pocket' at a dealer. However, the RX100 must be a very serious contender with regard to the OP's enquiry.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have been pretty pleased with the RX100.
One benefit is that besides having really decent image quality, it does not need an additional charger since it charges from a usb cable.
-bob

gilpen123

RX100 no doubt. The Canon S are smaller but the RX100 output is miles better. I still bought the wall charger that comes with 2 extra batteries at less than $40. Convenient to have one when traveling.

fordfanjpn

RX100 no doubt. The Canon S are smaller but the RX100 output is miles better. I still bought the wall charger that comes with 2 extra batteries at less than $40. Convenient to have one when traveling.
+1 on both the camera and the charger with extra batteries.