The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic LX7 reactions?

mazor

With technological advancements in sensor tech, I think it has allowed panasonic to do this as in theory the quality loss should be minimal ,if not non existent thanks to fancy software correction from fancy processors.

Guess if the smaller sensor exhibits more noise, then the ability to have more light hitting the sensor may make up for it's shortfall thanks to faster apertures. It sems like marketing ploy as fast aperture lens specs is the new craze for enthusiast digital compacts.

DavidL

Sensor too small IMHO, so for me it's a no. I was ready yo get a Nikon V1 but there's rumours of a replacement this month so will wait. Alamy accept V1 files, which is a must for me so that probably also makes the LX7 a no go on sensor size.
Never liked the screen on the LX3 as it gave you no idea of what the final image would look like. Presume the 5's was the same, not heard about the 7's as yet

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Uwe, I like the look of it. DPR shows that the significantly faster lens at the long end yields very similar DOF as the Sony RX100 at the long end.

My GX1's finder will fit it too, when necessary. I had the early LX bodies, and this one (the grip especially) looks like a genuine improvement.

I will wait to see comparisons with RX images before jumping, but as a real pocket camera, seems even better than the RX, if only for the 24mm wide, fast lens, and grip.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me the sensor is too small and the MP count too low. 10MP are no longer adequate, even in a P&S. At least want 12MP, better 16MP.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Ray Sachs has the LX7. He did a comparison against the RX100. It's an interesting read but he's sending the LX7 back on Monday.

I won't post a link to the thread because it's on another forum. It's easy to find tho'.

raist3d

My take is people need to start forgetting a little about sensor size and pay attention to the tool as a whole. The sensor is not only smaller than the LX5's, it's also *better*. Technology moves forward. It still amazes me that people write off a camera immediately based on "penis size" if you will.

It happened with the Q- turns out the Q has a better sensor than the slightly bigger LX5, S90/95 and a few others. VS the Sony remember the Lens of the LX7 is faster, so bokeh may not vary that much in control, and higher ISO may be somewhat comparable in some situations. The best would be to check what it could do through raw files and most importantly think about what *you as a photographer* could do. It seems to me it has better ergonomics.

As for megapixel count- ask yourself how are you sharing your photos? 10 megapixels is plenty for an 8x10 print and more than overkill for anything web. As a quick reference: Pentax Q, ISO 4000, F1.9, 1/40th, JPEG out of camera (not even raw)

ISO 1000, F1.9, from RAW, 1/60

ISO 160, F3.5, 1/60

- Raist

Matix

Re: Sensor Pixel Count vs IQ we will never agree

raist3d, I like your comments on being obsessive and jumping to conclusions, or prejudging a camera based on the pixel count or sensor size alone. Really, are many of us qualified to do this, have sensors really become the measure by which a camera should be judged?

I believe we have moved past the equivalent resolution of the best film, or grain as it was known with our sensor pixel resolution, and is the Lens no considered part of the equation? This is an excellent treatise on the subject of Film vs Digital vs the Human Eye. Film vs Digital

It was interesting to note that the latest billion dollar Mars rover, 'Curiosity'.. has a 2.0 megapixel camera.. why? Because it worked..... back in 2004 when the design was laid down, and it was not considered worth the cost to modify all the supporting hardware.

Personally I think the megapixel race and the resulting noise and noise reduction needed to compensate the pixel density for high ISO, could sometimes better be done in post production. Give me a clear image, then let me work with it.

As a side note... here are 3 images shot with my first digital camera, back in 2000. The quality out of camera from a Sony DSC-S70 3.3 megapixel sensored camera, in my hands for the first time back 12 years ago, resulted in my choice to sell all my Nikon film gear.

I still have the camera, man it is huge by comparison... so we have come a long way in hardware for sure.

Phil

biomed

My take is people need to start forgetting a little about sensor size and pay attention to the tool as a whole.

- Raist
Well said! I purchased the LX5 at a close price and have found it to be a fantastic tool. My coworker just aquired an LX7. I am very impressed. It should serve him well for many years.

Howard

I am not sure whether the sensor is larger or smaller, I base my judgements on the IQ of the photos that I take with the LX7. Several others have posted in this thread what I feel are excellent photos taken with the LX7. Below are a few of many that I have taken.

mazor

based on results I have seen from the LX7, I think it is a very capable small point and shoot camera. Even with the smaller sensor, performance at base ISO is very usable and pleasing. As per small sensor design, be aware pushing the ISO anything off the base ISO will lead to a substantially noisier images, but from what I gather from most, the noise is pleasant, and will add character to your image captures.

The whole idea of the smaller sensor has its advantages, For one, you can get greater tele in the zoom lens, and also directing light into a smaller sensor means more light overall gets to the sensor. Add in Panasonics excellent optical stabilization allows images to be captured at the base ISO more often compared cameras of similar class with larger sensors.

When one chooses a camera, there is more to consider than just pixels, and sensor size. Rather grip, controls, etc must also come into consideration. The LX7 does have remarkable feature set and has good manual controls. Also the Leica optics allows for excellent colour and sharpness.

dreamsartart

With all the new and greatest point and shoot cameras coming out I've been wondering if it was time to up-date my trusty D-LUX 4. Thought a Sony X100 would be interesting, now that the Fuji X20 is available also a thought. Didn't have the D-LUX 6 (LX7) in the equation for some reason till I read the review over at Ming Thein's site and got me thinking...

The sensor as has been said is smallish in comparison to others, but the 'total' camera excels in many areas. Lens is fantastic, maybe the best on any P/S, is very fast (f1.4!! at wide) all the way through the zoom range, and after the years with the D-LUX 4 I've gotten to really enjoy and use the wide 24mm (more like 21mm at 16:9). Great screen, easy menu to work, a real pocket camera, put the EVF on or an external finder (have a 24mm which works well in bright outdoor light) for eye level view.

I'm kind of sold on the camera as my take every where, and unlike the D-LUX 4 to 5 feels its worth the move. Unfortunately I'll have to get the Leica version as the Panasonic here in Japan does not have an English menu, oh well, 3-year guarantee and LN included which I need.

Last edited: