The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 firmware upgrade

fordfanjpn

Version 2.0 firmware upgrade is now available for the DP1. Be sure to use a freshly charged battery to do the update. It took me a while to figure out why my camera wouldn't recognize the update files (the firmware update menu item was grayed out), but once I put in a fresh battery, all went well. There are two update files that have to installed, one at a time, in a certain order. In spite of the large jump in numbers from 1.04. to 2.0, it seems to be a rather minor update. Still, there might be something hidden in there that makes it worthwhile.

Having just bought my DP1, I was hopping for more chatter about the camera here, but I guess the people who have a DP1 are busy out taking pics with it. ;)

Bill

D

ddk

Having just bought my DP1, I was hopping for more chatter about the camera here, but I guess the people who have a DP1 are busy out taking pics with it. ;
Bill
Or sold their cameras after not getting along with it!

Brian Mosley

Or recharging the lousy battery *yet again* on the odd occasion one wants to use it! :cussing:

Battery now charged, firmware updated - off out to play :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Brian

N

nei1

Bill,not much help I know but Ill be joining you with a DP2 when it surfaces and Im more than interested in youre experiences of growing into the camera,the good and bad.

fordfanjpn

Bill,not much help I know but Ill be joining you with a DP2 when it surfaces and Im more than interested in youre experiences of growing into the camera,the good and bad.
There's a very good chance I'll be getting the DP2 when it comes out too. I've only had the DP1 for a week or so, and the weather hasn't been very cooperative, but I do love this camera already. The idiosyncrasies aside, it kind of feels like shooting a film camera, and the image quality is really nice. The images seem to have a glow to them, and a 3D quality that I also get from the M8. So it's almost like carrying a Leica around in my pocket. Can't argue with that! ;)

I will report on my experiences after I have had more time to get used to the camera.

Bill

Will

Had some fun pushing the levels to the extreme. Bigger files on the Other cameras threads.

Rawfa

What surprises me the most (other than the obvious quality and sharpness) is the depth of field it gets with such a wide lens (it's equivalent to a 28mm, right?). My only complain (from what I've read) and what kept me from buying this camera is the super slow response it gets. My dream would be something like the LX2/GX200 with a foveon sensor.

A

asabet

I had 3 batteries and none held charge more than a few days.
That sounds terrible. I've never bothered to upgrade the firmware on my DP1. Both of my batteries hold their charge well. I recently picked up my DP1 after nearly a month without use, and it had a full charge.

Brian Mosley

Hi Amin,

I'd definitely recommend the upgrade - if only to make use of the zoom buttons. I've got mine set to AF position and something else (I forget what).

Now if only I could put the G1 down for long enough to use it! :ROTFL:

Kind Regards

Brian

D

ddk

That sounds terrible. I've never bothered to upgrade the firmware on my DP1. Both of my batteries hold their charge well. I recently picked up my DP1 after nearly a month without use, and it had a full charge.
Consider yourself among the lucky ones Amin, I know of a few others who had battery issues. But that was only one of the many quirks that turned me off the camera. I was spoilt by the wonderful GRD and haven't found anything in that size that handles the same including the GRD2.

Irenaeus

HELP!!!

I've just tried to upgrade the firmware on my new DP1, the upgrade failed and Im stuck with an unchangeable red screen! The home office/tech support is out to lunch for the weekend and hopes I'll have a nice day. Meanwhile, back at the instructions, I'm told not to turn off the camera while the upgrade is in progress or I might damage it.

The only thing I can think of doing is to remove the battery — or, which amounts to the same thing, letting the battery just fade away with the red screen into the sunset — and I don't know if the program considers the download to be "still in process" or not. If it does, and I choose either one of these options, what might happen to my camera? [Though "my" may be only a temporarily possessive pronoun in this particular case!]

I have no idea what went wrong. I checked to see that I had Firmware version 1.04 installed. I cleaned off a 2 gig SD card in the Powerbook and then formatted it anew in the DP1 (though it's just posible that therer was a problem at this stage, because when I hit OK for the final format, it went immediately to the "ready to shoot" phase. I did this three times but got no confirmation that the camera had formatted it except that the SD card now read "Sigma" on the desktop.)

Then I downloaded the dp1v200 file to the desktop, dragged it onto the SD card (not into a folder on that card), put it into the camera and started the procedure. When I got to the "insert card" message, I just clicked to continue, since the card had already been inserted, which could, I suppose, be part of the problem, though I don't see why.

Anyway, if anyone can help, I'd surely appreciate it!

Caught Between A Rock And A Hard Place, Waiting To See Which Will Self-Destruct First

aka,

Irenaeus

fordfanjpn

Caught Between A Rock And A Hard Place, Waiting To See Which Will Self-Destruct First

aka,

Irenaeus
I had problems with the update too, including having the camera lock up so I had to remove the battery to reset it. What I eventually found out was that the battery needs to be freshly charged for the update to work. My battery read full charge in the camera, but apparently that wasn't good enough. As soon as I put in a freshly charged battery, everything worked as it was supposed to. Make sure to note that there are two update files that need to be installed, in the proper order.

Bill

Will

I blame this thread:mad:
My battery was fine until I read all your comments. Went to use my DP1 yesterday and it was dead as a door nail. The battery was fully charged a week ago and hadn't been used since :(

4season

My camera seems fine, and battery life improved after the first few charges. I've gotten careless and let it go for for longer than a week without charging and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. I haven't let it sit idle for a week, much less a month, though, and probably won't anytime soon.

D

ddk

I blame this thread:mad:
My battery was fine until I read all your comments. Went to use my DP1 yesterday and it was dead as a door nail. The battery was fully charged a week ago and hadn't been used since :(
I had the same problem, the batteries just don't hold their charge, unlike my Ricoh ones that remained charged for months, the ones in the cameras and the spare ones. In this day and age I don't understand why batteries shouldn't hold their charge for a few weeks at the very least.

Irenaeus

Thanks, Bill, for your timely advice about the charging the battery.

I had already topped it off before beginning, though, so that wasn't it. I ended up letting the frozen camera die, charged it up again, had the upgrade fail again and finally waited until Sigma opened on Monday. They said try it again and send it in if needed.

This third time I pored over the instructions compulsively ("when all else fails....") and saw in one of the photos that the mode dial was set to Manual. I'd had it on something else before, thought it worth a try and rejoiced to find that MANUAL WORKED!

As for the Wide-Tele Zoom buttons, Brian, I immediately set them to control white balance and ISO, but found them to be so sensitive that one or the other would change nearly every time I picked up the camera! As of now, therefore, I've just set them to "off" and am going to think about it.

Good light and insight to you all,

Irenaeus