The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD2 - Changing from AF to MF: strange behaviour

M

Mitch Alland

Someone posted something on this on dpreview, I believe; and now I find the same strange behaviour. If I focus on something about 3m away using Spot AF and then switch to MF, the MF focusing indicator shows that the camera is focused at 1m instead of 3m. At first I thought that the GRD2 refocussed to 1m whenever one switched from AF to MF, but that does not seem to be the case because sometimes when I focus with AF one something 3m away and switch to MF the indicator shows the correct 3m focus point. Has anyone else noticed this?

—Mitch/Huahin

P

Player

Hi Mitch, I think I have noticed something like that. Also, when switching between focus modes and returning to MF, there's a little "GM" symbol above the DOF/ focus scale instead of the "m"eter indicator, and the scale is all grayed-out even when I adjust the aperture. I still haven't figured-out what the GM stands for, and why that's selected when I change focusing modes. Any help there would be appreciated. Thanks.

R

ronniestern

Someone posted something on this on dpreview, I believe; and now I find the same strange behaviour. If I focus on something about 3m away using Spot AF and then switch to MF, the MF focusing indicator shows that the camera is focused at 1m instead of 3m. At first I thought that the GRD2 refocussed to 1m whenever one switched from AF to MF, but that does not seem to be the case because sometimes when I focus with AF one something 3m away and switch to MF the indicator shows the correct 3m focus point. Has anyone else noticed this?

—Mitch/Huahin
My first GR2 behaved like that... when I auto Focused on something 9 ft away it showed 1 meter on manuel focus. I sent the camera in for repair.
My second camera seemed to behave normally in good light, but now, after upgrading to latest firmware... many times when autofocusing at 6 ft the manuel focus shows infinity? I think I have better luck with focusing when I leave the Macro on? You can really see the lens focusing and when I switch to manuel focus it makes sense.