The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DMC-TZ3, repair or replace with LX5

biomed

My beloved Panasonic DMC-TZ3 just died (black screen syndrome) after many years of use. I will miss the easy carry size and 10X optical zoom. I am thinking about replacing the TZ with the LX5. Yes, I am aware that the newest LX is out, but the LX5 is very tempting at the current low prices being offered by several dealers. I may attempt to disassemble the TZ3 to see if the ribbon cable came loose from the sensor. My last attempt at fixing a P&S taught me one thing - the taking apart is not too bad, but the reassembly is a pain. Any inputs or comments about the LX5 or trying to repair the TZ3?

Thanks,
Mike

biomed

I decided on the LX5 for $249.00. The LX7 would have been nice, but I could not justify spending twice as much on a point and shoot. I have been shooting with Panasonic camera for a couple of years now and have come to like them. I received feedback on another forum that recommended the LX5. I am sure it will compliment my current film and digital cameras.

Tim

Hi Mike,

I have been a long time user of an LX3, and while the LX5 is somewhat improved I do think either will be better over the TZ series provided you don't need the long zoom of the TZ. I do like the 24mm equiv wide, and find it more useful than the longer lens for me. Some people lamented at the smaller sensor on the LX7 than the LX5 but IQ seems on a par.

Good choice going with the LX5 and being the older model you've gotten it at a bargain price!

biomed

I received the LX5 on Tuesday. I am hoping to use it a bit this weekend. So far I am impressed with the camera.

Mike