The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm needing a pocket camera

mwalker

Subscriber Member
From what I've read the LX3 is the king of the hill...right? I've seen so many good photos here with the Ricohs and Sigmas. I need
-it to fit in a jacket pocket
-as good as I can get with low light
-best IQ as I can get for 13X19 prints
-most of my prints are in BW

Thanks in advance.

A

asabet

I think the GRD II/GX200/LX3/DP1/G10/P6000 all do well meeting your requirements. I have the LX3, DP1, and G10, and have experience with the GRD II and GX100. The DP1 has the best tonal range for B&W IMO. The LX3 probably the best in low light, but the DP1 has its best low light showing in B&W. The G10 captures the most overall detail. The Ricohs have the best controls.

Overall, if I had to pick one pocket camera, it would be the LX3. It's smaller than the G10, has good dynamic range, has the variable aspect ratio, and does well in low light. If I were more comfortable sticking at 28mm, I'd choose the DP1.

Lisa

If you don't need raw but can get by with jpg, fujifilm makes the lowest-noise sensors for pocket-sized digicams (the f-line: f31, f50, f100). You can find more details on DPReview.com.

Lisa

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Amin, Lisa, Yeah I kind of had it narrowed down to the LX3 or the DP1, I always shoot raw...90% of my pics will be BW. I like the way the DP1 draws.

mazor

I think the G10 does one of the best IQ for low ISO shots, and does surprisingly well at higher ISO compared to alot of digicams. problem though is that the G10 is quite bulky and one needs quite a large jacket pocket to fit this camera in.

I recently got the LX3, and for me I find using ISO80 to 400 usable for my standard of signal to noise. The manual controls may not be as nice as the G10, but I believe it is one of the best for a small compact camera. Also if you want quick AF, the LX3 is really quite amazing at locking spot on very quickly.I hear the DP1 lacks here, and focus speed can be a pain.

I guess if you are mainly doing wide angle street or landscapes, the DP1 could do the job, since focus speed is not important, but be aware the high ISO capability falls off quite sharply for low light, but as others have said, for black and white, this noise can be a desirable effect.

Mazor

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I just read the review of the DP1 on Reids review and it kind of scares me away, mainly because of the noise and slow lens. I like the G10 but its not a pocket camera....I need something to suppliment my M8

mazor

Ahhh, to suppliment your M8, there is no brainer. The D-Lux 4 will fit right in your avenue.

Nealy identical to the LX3, it sports "Leica" improvements in colour processing, and less aggressive noise reduction for JPG. Also the RAW files is processed using Capture one, which can give excellent results.

Only issue is the price tag. Being nearly double the price of the LX3, one has to consider is that cost worth for what one is getting. But for an M8 user, cost is usually not an issue. The D-Lux4 images out of camera should look relatively similar to that found from M8 images, hence creating a very simple workflow from both cameras.

MAzor

A

asabet

I just read the review of the DP1 on Reids review and it kind of scares me away, mainly because of the noise and slow lens. I like the G10 but its not a pocket camera....I need something to suppliment my M8
I haven't read Sean's review, but I can tell you that noise has not been a big issue in working in black and white with the DP1. I have worked in low light with quite acceptable noise. I wouldn't go beyond ISO 800 in color, but B&W is a different story with this camera, producing excellent results pushed to ISO 1600 and beyond. I think that for B&W work, the DP1 is superior to the LX3 at low ISO, and about even with the LX3 at f/2.1 (fastest possible at 28mm equivalent) and ISO 400 compared with the DP1 at f/4 and ISO 1600. The low light edge would go to the LX3 because of image stabilization and better performance in color, especially with unbalanced lighting.

gromitspapa

Amin- how are you getting ISO 1600 with the DP1, by underexposing 1 stop at ISO 800? When you use it for B&W, are you shooting RAW and converting or B&W JPEG?

A

asabet

Hi Gromitspapa, yes I underexpose by 1 stop at ISO 800, underexpose by 2 stops at ISO 800, or underexpose by 3 stops at ISO 200. All three methods produce the same final result in B&W on the DP1, so there is really no difference between them. Color is a different story.

Whether for B&W or color, I process all my DP1 files from RAW. Pushing JPEGs doesn't give a good result, and the "Black and white" setting under white balance in SPP seems to get light out of nowhere. A shot underexposed by about a stop in color looks about right with no pushing when viewed in this setting. In B&W, I tend to think of the DP1 sensor as about a stop more sensitive than indicated by the ISO rating.

gromitspapa

Yep- you're exactly right. I just tried that with one I just shot -1 EV at ISO 800, which was in fact overly-underexposed... The Monotone WB shifted it about a stop more exposed. Like you said, "light out of nowhere." Just hitting monotone pushes it automatically one stop. Thanks!

mwalker

Subscriber Member
DP1 it is...thanks Amin...as soon as I do this they'll issue the DP2:rolleyes:

By the way, how big of prints have you made.

Last edited:

helenhill

Hi Michael

I would say the Dp1 or if you can wait till FEB
your Birthday month the DP2

Even though I have sold all my compacts /d lux3, Grd1,Grd2, & DP1 /
and Truly LOVED my GRD2
the one I missed the most (& Yes on occasion pulled my hair out)
was the DP1

I'm holding out now for the DP2 and just shooting Film :)

Loved your Website BTW
Minimalist Feel, Tres Cool in overall black, easy to view, and a Visual PLEASURE.

Best-h

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Helen you are wonderful. Yes it does make perfect sense to wait for the DP2....but no more birthdays :thumbup:

ps keep shooting that film!

Tim

I think any of the cameras that Amin has listed will be great. I have a GRD II and often find the single focal length to be an advantage as you grab images without messing with zooms or changing lenses. Having said that I have a LX3 on order. Looking forward to trying it out in all its modes including the 720 movie mode.

Tim

A

asabet

DP1 it is...thanks Amin...as soon as I do this they'll issue the DP2:rolleyes:

By the way, how big of prints have you made.
Hi Mike, you may be right about the DP2. It's always like that, isn't it :) ?

With few exceptions, I don't print huge with any of my cameras. The largest I have printed with the DP1 is 13x19", and the print quality has been excellent at that magnification.