The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My first LX3 pics

Rawfa

Hi Guys,

I have received my LX3 some weeks ago and I really haven't had much time to play with it. Today I finally took it out for some street tests. I'm really blown away by the fact that it actually has depth of field and that you can go up to 800 iso with this baby! My only criticism is the joystick. Having to adjust things manually with that thing is not very productive. Anyway, here are some quick tests:

Rawfa

P.S - I don't know why but I can not view the photos on internet explorer...only Firefox Mozilla (I haven't tried the other browsers...). If anyone cannot view the photos and wants to check it out feel free to visit my blog.

mazor

Some nice pics in there Rawfa. I have been quite pleasantly surprised with the quality of the LX3.

Do you process RAW, or just JPG?

I found using JPG, setting the film mode standard to -1 contrast, -2 sharpness and +1 Noise reduction give very pleasing results at higher ISO, and eliminates alot of the Digital noise artifacts associated with smaller sensors.

MAzor

Rawfa

Actually this is something I was about to ask. I haven't messed around with the presets controls yet and I was wondering what's the best setting. I can see that shooting dynamic gives you very nice results straight out of the camera, but shooting standard seems to give you more shadow detail and this gives you much more elbow room to work in post. Any thoughts?

mazor

rawfa, try the settings I posted before. It really works well for me. the noise reduction can be tweaked down if you are shooting lower ISO, otherwise, pumping up the NR for higher ISO images say 800 and above can help considerably to get a semi usable JPG.

That is how I setup my custom functions.

For best post processing, use RAW + JPG with the dynamic function fro the JPG. The RAW image comes completely unprocesssed as such and requires one to post process colour, and noise via PC

Mazor

Rawfa

Jesus, I don't know what's going on but I whenever I post a larger sized photo here it stays available for a day or two and then it disappears. Anyway, here are smaller sizes...since they seem to stay here: