The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP Review confirms LX3 kicks G10 butt

R

Rac23

DPreview has gotten rather sloppy since they hired their new crop of camera reviewers. Try CameraLabs for a more precise measure of these cameras. Camera Labs testing shows the G10 resolving 2600 lpph, while the LX3 resolves only 2250 lpph. A significant difference. DPreview no longer provides accurate, objective data. I'd be very hesitant to base any of my buying on their recommendations.

A

asabet

DPReview is mainly concerned with in-camera JPEG performance, and they place a lot of emphasis on high ISO. Whether the reader has similar priorities is the major factor in whether or not to pay any attention to their reviews.

mazor

I concur. Unfortunately it seems DP review has lost alot of its creditability since the introduction of new reviewers.

for instance, the 100% crops of tower bridge in the "real world" tests to me show the G10 resolving more finer details, while the LX3 image seems oversharpened. It seems that the reviewer see sharpness as resolving more detail.

I do agree though, at higher ISOs. the LX3 is definitely more consistent in terms of keeping details similar to its base ISO.

What stands out to me as impressive is it that considering the tower bridge JPG. Both the LX3 and the G10 seems to be revealing the brickwork as a textured surface. On the same shots from the preproduction 5d mk ii, these bricks on close inspection are revealed as smooth surfaces at its base ISO!!!

MAzor

bradhusick

Having owned both the G10 and the LX3 I can say that I agree with this DP Review conclusion. I tested both the JPEG and RAW files. Resolution is useless if the image is too noisy, and that's what I found with the G10. Your experience may vary.
-Brad

httivals

BTW, I'm not the only one. I'd prefer to rely on Reichman's and Thom Hogan's reviews than that of DP Review.

mazor

hehe, it seems that some say G10 is better, some say LX3 is better. I think undoubtedly it come to personal tastes. People that prefer Canons smooth silky look found in their later DSLRs will certainly prefer the way the G10 post processes its JPGs. For fans of Leica glass, and film users, they will prefer the lx3 or D-lux4 for keeping detail, retaining a overall sharp image, which for some equates to more detail.

Personally I think g10 is a fantastic camera at the lowest ISO setting and out resolves the LX3 for detail, but push the ISO higher, and then the LX3 takes back the lead.

MAzor

A

asabet

I too own both cameras and like both of them. When processing from RAW, I see no significant difference in resolution or noise between ISO 800 prints (example here). The difference is that I can use ISO 400 on the LX3 in situations when I'd be using ISO 800 on the G10, but that is a matter of the lens speed, not sensor performance.

As for JPEG performance, I think the LX3 does a nice job balancing detail and noise at high ISO, whereas the G10 produces a smeared, desaturated result above ISO 400.

R

Rac23

I heard today from various sources that DPreview has been slanting their reviews against Canon, because the website was bought out by Amazon.com. Amazon does not make as much profit on each sale of Canon equipment as it does from other camera sales. They therefore have been trying to increase the sale of other equipment by downplaying Canon. In the opinion of many, Canon is still the lead camera company. Canon's new 50D supposedly out-resolves Nikon's more expensive D700 when both cameras are tested at their optimum settings with high quality lenses. DPreviews supposedly has hired a bunch of new writers to give the website their new direction.

Lars

I have a problem the the credibility of this post. No references, anonymous poster - doesn't look good. Rac23, would you mind posting reference links to your information sources?
All in good spirit,
Lars

I heard today from various sources that DPreview has been slanting their reviews against Canon, because the website was bought out by Amazon.com. Amazon does not make as much profit on each sale of Canon equipment as it does from other camera sales. They therefore have been trying to increase the sale of other equipment by downplaying Canon. In the opinion of many, Canon is still the lead camera company. Canon's new 50D supposedly out-resolves Nikon's more expensive D700 when both cameras are tested at their optimum settings with high quality lenses. DPreviews supposedly has hired a bunch of new writers to give the website their new direction.

R

Rac23

I'm a retired pro photographer in the NYC area and have done a considerable amount of copy writing during my 45-year career in advertising. The information I am passing along is what was said to me by the sales personnel and owners of major camera retailers. That is to say, people I have known for more than 25 years, who know and understand the industry well. I should not refer to any of them by name, nor include my name to avoid any possible further inconveniences. It's enough that I warn the unsuspecting of the tactics that are becoming prevalent on our internet. Tell me, Yars, might you be one of Amazon's new writers? Just kidding, of course.

Lars

Rac23, thanks for clarifying :) I know very little of Canons cameras so I doubt anyone would hire me to write about them. Large format OTOH I can write about.

R

Rac23

To be fair, please understand that everything that was said to me was not provided as hard facts. It was more "rumor has it." But these people seemed to think these rumors are based on truth, and in my opinion, they usually know what they're talking about.