The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sepia

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I really like this sepia toning on the building. Why don't you try "painting" those two white cars. The black vehicles don't stick out like the white ones do. I would just paint them grey or black.

I hope you don't mind this quick and dirty example.

Last edited:
K

karrphoto

Puristist beware, I'm not a huge fan of "real" sepia prints. I dunno, I just don't like the toning most software does. Exposure 2 does a decent job with a duotone Sepia with a little tuning... but I believe the cars are better dark.

Lili

Cindy and Ed, thanks so much.
While one can paint out the offending cars, I fear I'm too much a purist, preferring interpretation to actual image creation :)
karrphoto; differing strokes and all that, right?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Lili, In the dark room photographers dodged and burned elements that were out of sync. I just really like this photo, but those bright white cars draw the eye to the cars first. It is your photo and I respect your decision, but I personally don't think it is "impure" :ROTFL: to tone down. Anyway, I think you are on a good track with the sepia and subjects like this. I'll look forward to more.

Lili

Cindy, I was not saying burning or toning down the cars was 'impure' or anything.
I would still know they are there and whatever their color they are dissonant with the timeless image I would like to portray.
I need to go back and get either a differing angle or wait till nothing i parked there.
:)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Cindy, I was not saying burning or toning down the cars was 'impure' or anything.
I would still know they are there and whatever their color they are dissonant with the timeless image I would like to portray.
I need to go back and get either a differing angle or wait till nothing i parked there.
:)
:thumbup: Yes!

Will

There was some interesting light coming in through the window yesterday.

GRD2

Another angle in B&W