The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD II still rocks...

E

ellemand

Hi again everyone.

Now having the GRD I, the GRD II, Sigma DP1 and Canon DSLR's I have to admit, that the GRD II still is my favorite.
Here's a few of my latest pics from this wonderful camera.

I hope you'll enjoy - thanks
Ellemand

Will

Really like these ones ellemand.

I've always admired the look you get on your B&W images so, though I'm sure you have posted this before, could tell us briefly how you go about it?

(Though I find those white frames horribly distracting. Sorry :( )

helenhill

Just Outstanding...Beautiful Tones/ lights & Darks
Love shots 2 & 3...Fab Ellemand

now I'm sad to have let my grd2 go:scry
will decide to get another or wait for the dp2 ???

Best-H

bbodine9

The lack of noise on these and the clarity is just great, what ISO was used? I would also enjoy knowing your pp technique!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Awesome series! Have to agree on the GRD2 too! I have owned a slew of of small cameras looking for the best shirt-pocket "P&S" digicam for me, and so far this is still it. I would like to add either a GX200 or LX3 to pair it with (for longer focal) and have not settled on which yet...

W

wbrandsma

These series are fantastic Ellemand.

And Jack, if I didn't have the GX200 I would pick up the LX3 instantly without any doubt.

Terry

These are really nice. I can't wait to see them on a big screen. The thread title caught my eye because I haven't had much time to shoot recently and have been using the G1. Was thinking about a camera sale but I have a hard time parting with cameras and I think the GRD II would be a sale I would really regret!

ecliffordsmith

Hi Ellemand,

I have to agree with the others here, these are lovely. I like the punchy contrast. These do seem very clean as another member commented. I too would be interested to know what ISO these were shot at.

kai.e.g.

These are really impressive. I (finally) placed an order for the GRD II "creative set" (with 21mm) a few hours ago, and should have it in my hands in a couple of days. Very much looking forward to using it - now, if only this interminable rain would stop!

E

ellemand

Hi everyone.
Thanks for the kind comments - I really appreciate this.
I'll try to answer some of the questions - forgive me for the spelling and writing style - I'm not very good writing in another language.
The three first fotos are ISO 400 - the rest 100 and 200.
I always shot in RAW. Convert to Jpeg in Adobe Camera 4.6. I sometimes make a little noisereduction (25 - 50) in this program.
Then I convert to black and white via channelmixer in Photoshop (CS3). Then I finish up with shadow/highlight, burn tool and contrast and finally resizing (for web) and give a little smart sharpen (about 125).
I mostly undrexpose with -0.7 in the camera.
Thats actually all. If someone have more questions, I'll be happy to give answers (if I can).
I'm just now decorating (is that the word) my new home-office and have made som prints (mostly from the GRD II) in size 40 - 60 cm - one is actually 50 x 75 cm - and they look great!
I allways - even when carrying one of my other cameras - have my GRD II in my belt or in my pocket - and find myself using it more than the others.

Once again - thank you.
Ellemand

bbodine9

Ellemand,

Thanks for the detailed reply and I was also wondering since you have both how would you compare the GRDII and the DP1 in ease of use, speed, handling etc.

E

ellemand

Hi bbodine9.

As you maybe have read between the lines, I prefer the GRD II. It's much faster, it's smaller and the overall handling is much better for me - making a lot of streetphotografy.
I use the Sigma DP1 when I have a lot of time for my pictures - old factories, landscape and such things, where a lot of details is a must.
As I wrote above - the GRD II is always by my side - just use it a lot and the little wonder will give you the results you are going for.

Have a nice day.
Ellemand.

kweide

Impressive pics and a lovely bw conversion...
GRD rocks.... yes indeed and i think it does not matter whether GRD or GRD II
The concept of both little gems is genius....

E

ellemand

You're absolutly right - I use the GRD II mostly for the speed of writing the RAW-files.
When I travel I bring both - if one of them should break down.
Sometimes I use both - The GRD II "on the rocks" using RAW- as it is - and The GRD I with the 21 mm converter - b/w Jpeg. It works very well.
Both kept in af small shoulderbag, so I quickly can grib the one, I want to use.

Ellemand.