The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My lovely GRD

kweide

Now I´m curious! I´ve had two GRDs and one GRD2, and I´ve found them to be noisy (visually speaking:p), especially the first two.
The pics I see here are of excellent quality, so I wonder; what ISO-levels are you shooting at? And; do you post-process a lot (anti-noise software?).

leif e
Leif, it is easy. I use ISO 64 - 800 buuuuuuut from ISO 400 to ISO 800 i have a differend setting for contrast und colors...

Set contrast to max
colors to min

Try it... it works like a noise filter, no it is more a noise break... it smoothens the picture a bit, makes it flat looking but the picture keeps all details with filmalike grain. One time Noisware in automatic mode and a litle contrast or levels ( depends on the picture ) followed by a little USM. Thats it !

Klaus

Last edited:

leif e

Thank you! That is veeery interesting - I like everything else about that camera; the "21", the size, the close up mode, the square possibility (on the GRD2), the b&w ...

Anyone got one to spare?:D
leif e

otumay

Klaus,
You post so beautiful pictures shot with GRD that I felt compelled to go out and use my beloved GRD2. This camera is so special...
Some shots around old districts of Istanbul.
Best regards,
Osman

Last edited:

Tim

Leif, it is easy. I use ISO 64 - 800 buuuuuuut from ISO 400 to ISO 800 i have a differend setting for contrast und colors...

Set contrast to max
colors to min

Try it... it works like a noise filter, no it is more a noise break... it smoothens the picture a bit, makes it flat looking but the picture keeps all details with filmalike grain. One time Noisware in automatic mode and a litle contrast or levels ( depends on the picture ) followed by a little USM. Thats it !

Klaus
Set contrast to max
colors to min

So Klaus, just so I have this right, you are doing these settings in Photoshop or in the camera settings?

kweide

Tim

From ISO 400 :
contrast +2 and saturation -2 in camera setting. I stored them as 2. Setting. Leave the rest to 0.
You will get a flat looking picture but with all details remaining. All you have to do is: Let it pop out. First let a noise removal software run over the pic. I use NOISEWARE in automatic mode so it profiles each picture. It will NOT remove all noisegrain. You will see some grain will stay in the picture but that is ok. In Photoshop ( or whatever you like ) add contrast and colors as you like and add USM. Sometimes i use to add Contrast with soft light in combination, but this is only my taste... Its a few seconds work. Resize the pic to its needed size and RESHARPEN again. Use the simple SHARPEN command in Photoshop or whatever you use and watch the deatils to come up.

Thats it !

leif e

Klaus! This is really intriguing! I know I´m slow stupid and all that :eek: - a good excuse for asking more questions:D. What about ISO 64-400. I did feel some of my ISO 200s were noisy as well. Similar technique - except the camera settings?

leif e

kweide

As you said. Same technique in PP but camera set to NORMAL which is contrast, colors and sharpness to 0 which is indeed one of the GRDs presets. If in case of ISO 200 you feel the noise too bad give it the same camera setting as above discussed. I hope you will be as pleased as i :).
REMEMBER: Never ever raise sharpness, keep it always to 0 !! Otherwise it will increase the noise level.

Klaus

D

ddk

Some very varied and interesting images in this thread Klaus, impressive as ever...

N

nei1

Klaus,after youve used youre processing what would be the maximum print size youd allow yourself to go to.
Also to use the camera to produce black and white with a wide tonal range what technique would you recomend,.........all the best,Neil.

kweide

My last prints after processing GRD Files were DIN A0 which is 841 x 1189 mm. I placed it in my livingroom and it show the volcano landscape of ETNA on Sicily

But normaly i do not print larger than DIN A4 which is 210 x 297 mm....

Tonal range ??? Levelsadjustments, see this

http://www.chromasia.com/tutorials/online/curves/

Last edited: