The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia 808 images

Paratom

I am "in" - just acquired a used 808. I have a RX100 but still there often appear moments where I don't have a cam with me but would like to catch the moment. Having receive the 808 I wonder why I did not get it earlier. I think it also feels quite good as a phone.

Question- do you shoot 8MP mode or do you shoot full res and downsize later?

Stefan Steib

Hi Paratom

you should definitely get a fast 32 or even 64GB SDHC Micro SD card,
Then -download camera Pro. With this you can use the full 41,5 Mpix from the chip. You can also fix quality at 100% JPG and low ISO.
These files are with a better (nearly 4:3) relation and can be worked on pretty nicely in Photoshop, I am nearly always scaling them down to 4500-5000 px. That gives around 16 Mpix with a stunning Quality.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

mazor

I am "in" - just acquired a used 808. I have a RX100 but still there often appear moments where I don't have a cam with me but would like to catch the moment. Having receive the 808 I wonder why I did not get it earlier. I think it also feels quite good as a phone.

Question- do you shoot 8MP mode or do you shoot full res and downsize later?
Depends on the shot. For more casual shooting, I will use pureview 8mp. Super extra casual shooting, ie food pics etc I shoot 5mp. For me, I use the 808 all the time since it is with me all the time. You have to have some sort of management of file size, otherwise you are going to require alot of external storage to store images, that are not necessarily archival and will not benefit from 41mp quality.

The beauty of the Nokia 808 is the extremely clever pixel combining tech used to create the 8mp file from 41mp sensor capture. In general preview 8mp allows for up to ISO 800, and low ISO the amazing pixel binning exhibits image quality signal to noise similar to older gen dslr like the canon 20d, and the cleverpixel binning means the image quality mimics fovern style images, ie. Not Bayer style images.

Using full red 38mp, or 41mp in camera pro, is nice, but now file sizes are quite massive, and I would keep the ISO to a maximum limit of 200. Anything higher, the quality of the image degrades substantially, and the benefits of capturing at higher resolution is lost. IE you are probably better capturing the same image at ISO 400 in pureview 8mp than 41mp full res ISO 400 as quality per pixel will be superior in 8mp mode.

If you are willing to post process all your image on a PC later, then Stefan's way of capturing may be feasible to be used all the time, and using higher ISO 400 and 800 in full res modes may be alright since by downscaling from 41mp to 16mp approx, will in general reduce noise too.

Here is some 8mp pureview shots I have taken recently. As you can see using 41mp straight out of camera may have been possible, but no real need for the type of images captured. Also remember to click twice on the image to view them in 100%view so you can pixel peep and see the quality of the Nokia pureview modes.

Here's a black and white I threw into the mix. See the way the thread is rendered. Perfect!! No digital Bayer artifacting what so ever, and no additional sharpening has been added or removed from any of these images.

mazor

a shot I took yesterday evening. All editing on this has been done n the nokia 808, no PCs used

mazor

some marcos I took with the 808 pureview

all captured at a set ISO400. Did not mean to, but accidentally left it on since my last night shoot.

mazor

it is amazing OlderThanDirt. The image quality amazes me with every picture I take.

Click on this image twice to see full resolution

I tell you now point and shoot cameras are indeed at risk of being replaced by mobile phones!!

mmbma

I can't wait until the Nokia EOS comes out. It'll have the same 41MP camera but with modern windows phone OS. Rumor says July 11

mazor

Will see what happens in July 11. It is not too long a wait now ;) Although secretly, wish Nokia would have taken on Android or meego instead of Windows mobile.

Stefan Steib

The longer I use the N 808 I´m missing another OS less and less.
The first date "rumours" were saying the EOS would appear was 15th of May. Nothing has happened (well the 928/925 Lumias were released) , I´m at current only criticising one thing: Using the Camera fast and intense sucks the battery empty in 1 hour.
There is a Mugenpower 3000mAh replacement with a new back cover which sells for 89,50 $US,

http://www.mugen-power-batteries.co...for-nokia-808-pureview-with-battery-door.html

I will probably invest in this more likely than buying a new Lumia EOS immediately. The image quality is marvellous, like a 20 Mpix DSLR/Wideangle in my Pocket. The Navigation is better than my dedicated Garmin Car Navi, the Phone part is kicking axx of my iPhone, I have reception with 2 or 3 signs where the iPhone shows none....

For now I´m settled

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

mazor

Stefan Steib, my 808 battery life is quite sufficient, but still, may get the super mugen battery once my battery perishes

Caterpillar hanging onto a twig sized branch

amazingly sharp pocket dslr in my pocket too

coulombic, lovely landscape, it really shows how superior the 808's optic is compared to larger digicam lens.

Last edited:

mazor

click twice to analyse the Nokia 808 pixels here!!! Whos says you cannot do HDR on the 808 from a single JPG

Stefan Steib

No- I just linked this from then N808 club page.

But it´s fun to see the VW machine, lots of memories......

Greetings from Germany
Stefan