The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia 808 images

mazor

scho, love your ISO 800 and 1600 comparisons between the Nokia 808 and the Nokia 1020.

Really like the performance of the Nokia 1020 at ISO 800, and even more at ISO 1600. It is as if the jump between ISO 800 and 1600 is not affecting the signal to noise of the sensor! If I had a 1020, I would probably skip ISO 800 all together in favor of 1600, just to get that extra light, without compromise.

You have proved what many sites have done with regards to comparing the 808 and the 1020. The 808 has better pixel performance at low ISO, and the overall frame is super sharp, with excellent detail and minimal noise. The 1020 comes to it's own past ISO 800, where it clearly outclasses the 808 with ease, and it is if the performance gets better at ISO 1600 based on the image we see.

It is as if the 808 was designed for daylight landscapes and portraits, anything that uses ISO 50 to 200, and the 1020 was designed for low light, and possible more street like photography.

Last edited:

mazor

Thank you Carl! But now I'm just a bit more confused, while here the 1020 seems to handle colours better, and perhaps more correct?, and handle the high iso better too..hhmm....
on the other hand Jorgens B&W of the little boy(#66) is so clear that it could have been taken with a M9.
Thorkil
Check out allaboutsymbian if you want the full run down comparison between the Nokia 808 and Nokia 1020 colors.

The 1020 output JPG does have increased saturation, contrast, and the color is enhanced to look like a postcard. The nokia 808 output JPG is very accurate and true to the scene being captured. The colors are very neutral which makes it receptive to post process adjustments.

It seems that more mobile phone consumers prefer a more complete image look straight out of camera rather than a natural true image. True to life images only work well if the subject is very interesting, and or the composition of the scene is remarkable. Pushing colors, contrast, can make boring scenes more interesting, and hence a high success rate of sharable images.

scho

scho, love your ISO 800 and 1600 comparisons between the Nokia 808 and the Nokia 1020.

Really like the performance of the Nokia 1020 at ISO 800, and even more at ISO 1600. It is as if the jump between ISO 800 and 1600 is not affecting the signal to noise of the sensor! If I had a 1020, I would probably skip ISO 800 all together in favor of 1600, just to get that extra light, without compromise.

You have proved what many sites have done with regards to comparing the 808 and the 1020. The 808 has better pixel performance at low ISO, and the overall frame is super sharp, with excellent detail and minimal noise. The 1020 comes to it's own past ISO 800, where it clearly outclasses the 808 with ease, and it is if the performance gets better at ISO 1600 based on the image we see.

It is as if the 808 was designed for daylight landscapes and portraits, anything that uses ISO 50 to 200, and the 1020 was designed for low light, and possible more street like photography.
Thanks mazor, and I agree re the 808 vs 1020 ISO performance. If they produce another model I hope it has a better lens than the one in the 1020 and perhaps 35mm equiv rather than 25-28.

mazor

scho, why would you prefer a 35mm equivalent instead of a nice wide 26mm in the current models? I thought the idea was if you want to change the focal length you can do easily using the lossless pureview zoom. If you already start at 35mm, we cannot reverse zoom to get 26mm.

Also if they do bring out another model. I would like to see a 20mp sensor in place of the 41MP sensor, so that the default pixel micron would be larger, to improve overall performance to the next level.

Plus if they could re incorporate pureview 8mp it would be great, since 5mp at times is a bit low resolution for todays standards.

Here is a shot I took a while back using maximum pureview zoom using pureview 8mp mode on my 808.

scho

scho, why would you prefer a 35mm equivalent instead of a nice wide 26mm in the current models? I thought the idea was if you want to change the focal length you can do easily using the lossless pureview zoom. If you already start at 35mm, we cannot reverse zoom to get 26mm.

Also if they do bring out another model. I would like to see a 20mp sensor in place of the 41MP sensor, so that the default pixel micron would be larger, to improve overall performance to the next level.

Plus if they could re incorporate pureview 8mp it would be great, since 5mp at times is a bit low resolution for todays standards.

Here is a shot I took a while back using maximum pureview zoom using pureview 8mp mode on my 808.

I haven't worked much yet with the pureview zoom so I'm not sure about the quality of the zoomed output. Your image looks fine. I just prefer focal lengths in the 35-50 range with good optical quality - across the frame.

mazor

scho, the 808 can maintain optical quality across the frame and that has a 26mm f2.4 lens. It is just the new redesigned thinner optics in the 1020 that seems to have issues, assuming you only use the pureview 5mp mode on the 1020, and no "zoom reinvented" post cropping into the corner of the frame, the 1020 performance across the frame is adequate but will not be as good as the 808. I suspect if the 1020 had the drop in aperture ring, the corner softness even at full resolution should be less again, but then you have to counter the effect of diffraction, which will diminish the entire frame IQ uniformly.

As for pureview zoom. You should try it on the 808 in good light. It is surprisingly good. Quality degradation is apparent with each step of zoom applied, but the details are still very good. I cannot say the same from what I seen from the 1020, as the lens quality seems to be less with the new design, and applying pureview zoom would be the same seeing a full res image, and any defects will be magnified.

scho

Thanks Jorgen. Yes, that is exactly how it looked OOC. One of those very rare deep blue sky days that we don't see that often in this area. No polarizer mazor, but I'm wondering if Nokia slipped in a polarizer instead of an ND. :)

scho

A couple of detail shots taken at the old park boathouse with the Nokia 808. I was only a few feet from the window, but shooting up at a steep angle so DOF limited. Perspective corrected in CS6.

scho

First cold front of the fall with a stiff NW breeze brings out the windsurfers on Cayuga Lake.

Nokia 808

scho

Three from today's gorge walk. Tough lighting for a cell phone camera with limited dynamic range, but the internal ND filter, ISO 50, and EC got me through with minimal problems.