The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

infrared walkabout

smokysun

i finally broke down and got a converted camera. now this is an original rebel, but i scoured ebay and there are lots of converted compacts at reasonable prices. i got the dslr for landscapes next summer. but i couldn't resist taking it downtown last nite.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Howard

Wayne,

I have been shooting ir with a Canon g9 which I had Lifepixel convert. I try to shoot all my photos at ISO 80. When light is subdued, I use a tripod. I rely on the G9's AF and my photos are generally very sharp.

An ir night shot; I used a tripod:

A handheld ir day time shot of a ranch North of Santa Barbara, CA converted to color

A handheld shot of park in Los Angeles

Good luck with your ir with your converted rebel.

Howard
http://photo.net/photos/howardfuhrman

Lisa

Just a comment for anyone here considering who to choose to do their IR conversion...

I recently had a Nikon D200 converted to IR by Lifepixel, and was very pleased by how well they did it. The sensor was perfectly clean afterwards, and they even put a preset white balance in the camera settings that made the images relatively neutral (instead of the strong magenta that normal white balances give). I had a D70 converted by maxmax several years ago, and they didn't do nearly such a good job (left a *lot* of muck stuck to the sensor that was very hard to clean off, and no preset white balance).

Lisa

smokysun

very nice photos. it would be interesting to have an infrared forum. my rebel converted to something like 820 so i see why i'm getting just a bit of magenta. here are a few from my rose garden series. infrared definitely has some great possibilities.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited: