The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The International, Intergalatic Ricoh GR Thread

jtwloh

left for Italy last week....som from today
San Zeno di Montagna, Veneto

iso 250 f/9 1/250

Thorkil
Thorkil, is the high key tone something you added in PP or straight from the camera because the AE locks on to shaded area (the face of the aged gentleman)?

But in both instances, I like the tonality of the B&W. This is something my little GRDIV would have struggled at.

Thorkil

Thorkil, is the high key tone something you added in PP or straight from the camera because the AE locks on to shaded area (the face of the aged gentleman)?

But in both instances, I like the tonality of the B&W. This is something my little GRDIV would have struggled at.
Just converted in C1 7.1.3 (64 bit). Shadows lifted at allmost full 98, contrast at 50, brigthnes turned up a bit, added 21 and 17 for Clarity and structure in Punch Method. It got strong Raw files and C1 is strong in bringing details out of the dark areas.
Thorkil
(Ps but its hard to judge from the laptop here, where the viewing-angel is rather critical)
(PPS and all are totally hasty one-hand and loose under-hip-shots while walking, set to snap-focus at 1,5m distance and the ND filter turned on)

Last edited:

jtwloh

Thanks Thorkil.
From what I have gathered, the GR raw files are quite resilient for PP work.
Which gives more latitude to play with the files.

I just received my GR from B&H on July 12 (preordered on April 30). I have wanted a truly pocketable camera with good IQ for a long time now (fits comfortably in my shirt pocket). This is my first Ricoh and it appears that Pentax-Ricoh got some serious shooter input with respect to the user interface . I've played with mine for two days now and am completely comfortable with the user interface. Image quality is very good as long as I do my part. When I received the camera, I was not able to program the ADJ/ISO control, turned out that the mode dial was set, as factory default, to full auto (Green Box) and it's not programmable in that mode. Placed the mode dial in Tv and Bob's your uncle. Lightroom IV recognizes the camera's DNG raw files. I especially like the snap mode.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
This month I have bought a Nikon 1 V1 with two zooms and the Canon EOS-M with 22mm prime - - all new and for less money than my Ricoh GR, which has just arrived (took Henry's in Canada 3 months to get it). I think there is a story there somewhere.

Anyway, I'm glad Ricoh made it a K-5lls in sheep's clothing :D

Keith

Thorkil

This month I have bought a Nikon 1 V1 with two zooms and the Canon EOS-M with 22mm prime - - all new and for less money than my Ricoh GR, which has just arrived (took Henry's in Canada 3 months to get it). I think there is a story there somewhere.

Anyway, I'm glad Ricoh made it a K-5lls in sheep's clothing :D

Keith

...(very nice!) welcome to the Club Keith, (and Maggie)...allthough its calling for very different things...it's calling. Dont know the small Nikons nor Canons, but having all buttoms in reach of your right thumb (while putting glasses on with the left), with both ability to sharp, tasty colourful and ...not the least...moving picture in snap-mode and all in that complicated simple way...it's calling upon one in that special M6-way
Thorkil