The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Beijing

Rawfa

Hi Everybody,

So today is my last day in Beijing and I'd like to start posting some of the 2000 pictures I've taken during this incredible trip. I'd appreciate if the thread didn't get diverted to technical stuff like how good the DP1 is or whereas you should buy it or not, since what I'm looking for is some honest and constructive criticism. I'm having trouble posting the larger version of my photos but you are welcome to see them at my blog http://pict-u-resk.blogspot.com/ . Anyway, thanks in advance for helping out a beginner and i hope you enjoy the photos.

Lili

This series gives the lie the idea that the 'speicalty cameras' like the GRD and DP-1 do not make goodtravel cameras.,
So many concentrate on sweeping vistas that, honestly, are sometimes difficult to tell just where they were taken. By working within the 'limitations' pf the 28mm-e lens, you've included both the scenery and the people that are just as much a part of China.
And that makes these much more powerful as a visual diary of your journey.
Bravo!

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Well you asked......some are right on but there are a few that would work as horizontals instead of verticals. It's interesting that you do more Verts....most people do the majority of their work in Horz and at times struggle to do verts.......I'mm gonna check out your site...
don

O

Oxide Blu

...some are right on but there are a few that would work as horizontals instead of verticals.

I struggle with that, too; which images work better horz, which are better vert. And I shoot square so it is hyper-frustrating for me. :D

Those are wonderful images Rafa! I am more reserve in critiquing the orientations. They look fine to me. The crop seems a little tight on the two images of guys walking up the steps, more so for the fuzzy hat dude.

Rawfa

Thanks for the honest criticism and kind words everyone. It is funny you guys should mention the horizontal vs vertical issue, because most of my photos are verticals and most of my wife's photos are horizontals, and sometimes we end up shooting the same thing both ways.
As for the crops I've struggled a bit with doing them or not because I REALLY liked those photos but the fixed 28mm didn't allow me to isolate the subject or capture it fast enough.
I'm back in Barcelona and now the hard part comes, which is organizing more than 2000 photos with the most awful jet lag I've ever had. I will try to post more photos as soon as possible though.

ShiroKuro

I like the the vertical shots ... using these small cameras with a wide angle lens it becomes a way of isolating the subject you are shooting .... these small cameras are so comfortable to hold in the vertical position opening up more possibilities ...I would rather do this than use a zoom or crop an image... just seem natural ... I shoot my GR1s this way more often than not ..... Really nothing to criticize .... it is like you are sharing pages from your dairy ... ... just happy you are willing to share these images with us ..... to post images check out this thread ... pretty much gives the run down on how to do it ....
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54

Jet lag lol ... know how you feel... I just got back from a month long trip in Japan ... took me 2 weeks to get back on track ......

Rawfa

Once more, thanks for the kind words. I'm copying all the photos to my desktop as we speak and hopefully I'll post some more today.
I will look into posting larger version, since I know the small photos I've been posting do not do justice at all to the larger versions. In the meanwhile I really think it's worth while to check these on my blog.

sinwen

Hi Everybody,

So today is my last day in Beijing and I'd like to start posting some of the 2000 pictures I've taken during this incredible trip. I'd appreciate if the thread didn't get diverted to technical stuff like how good the DP1 is or whereas you should buy it or not, since what I'm looking for is some honest and constructive criticism. ......
It is always difficult to bring criticism without being qualified "hostile". Please don't understand me wrongly.

2000 pictures during one trip which lasted a week or two I believe. This will always blow me off ! It is something like 55 rolls of 36 exposures ! Behind each picture how much of thought have you given ? Would you have taken them if you were with film ?
I understand your point I guess you wanted to record as much as possible of the trip. This is then "souvenir" attitude, nothing wrong with it of course, but even so, you were probably so busy snapping I wonder how much of the trip you could really appreciate.
You used the "medium" of photography but didn't act as a photographer, again nothing wrong with that, but you'll find meaningless pictures afterwards.
A picture should tell a story or a serie of let say twenty or thirty. Think of a book, how many pictures for how many subjects/aspects are in?
Years back when video was "the thing", people were showing hours of boring souvenir's movies. It was the same approach, they didn't "built" their subject, didn't think of it before/during/nor after.

Personnally, on such a trip of two weeks, I would be very happy to get 20 pictures over three rolls of film if I even manage to snap three rolls.

Rawfa

It is always difficult to bring criticism without being qualified "hostile". Please don't understand me wrongly.

2000 pictures during one trip which lasted a week or two I believe. This will always blow me off ! It is something like 55 rolls of 36 exposures ! Behind each picture how much of thought have you given ? Would you have taken them if you were with film ?
I understand your point I guess you wanted to record as much as possible of the trip. This is then "souvenir" attitude, nothing wrong with it of course, but even so, you were probably so busy snapping I wonder how much of the trip you could really appreciate.
You used the "medium" of photography but didn't act as a photographer, again nothing wrong with that, but you'll find meaningless pictures afterwards.
A picture should tell a story or a serie of let say twenty or thirty. Think of a book, how many pictures for how many subjects/aspects are in?
Years back when video was "the thing", people were showing hours of boring souvenir's movies. It was the same approach, they didn't "built" their subject, didn't think of it before/during/nor after.

Personnally, on such a trip of two weeks, I would be very happy to get 20 pictures over three rolls of film if I even manage to snap three rolls.
Don't worry, there's nothing hostile about your criticism and I understand where you are coming from (even though you're not criticizing the photos them selves) . But you have to understand that it's not everyday you go to China :) So, among those 2000 pictures there are pictures and there are "pictures"...meaning that some of them were just "wow, I'm in China and I really want to remember all of this" and some were "This image/sight is just breath taking, so I'm going to stop here for a while and just contemplate this until I get THE picture"...and there's also that "would you look at that! I really wasn't expecting this to happen" kind of picture.

mazor

rawfa, I think there is nothing wrong taking more photos than less, after all it is the digital age. And like you said, one does not go to China every day, so I guess one can get excited and snap lots. The idea of only shooting mabe 20 shots overs a 2 week holiday, I think is a purist approach to photography, which would also include not cropping or post processing any images as what used to be done in the days before digital.

For me I would tend to shoot more aggressively when trying to capture multiple subjects expressions, other than that, Sinwin idea can be used for landscapes, and single subject emotion captures where the minimalist style of capturing images can be applied.

MAzor

A.Sattler

Hello Rawfa,

You have some really great images here! I've always had an appreciation for/ fascination with Chinese culture. Your work really makes me want to go myself!

Thank You.

-Adam